Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyaronoff

New Meyer Lemon - 5 trees or just 1 too deep?

Audrey McDermott
10 years ago

I was at HD yesterday, and they had these "Deco Citrus" pots on sale for $13 - they had a small selection of Improved meyer lemon and key limes. I couldn't resist at that price, so I took home the one that appeared to be the healthiest. The biggest issue is that they all had multiple trunks.... So, did they root 5 cuttings in one pot? Or is this 1 tree that's just planted WAY too deep in the container? If it is multiple plants, is it worth trying to separate them, or should I just choose the healthiest looking one and clip the rest at the soil line? Thanks in advance for any help and pointers. This is my first citrus.

Comments (15)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Hard to say. But, certainly awfully deeply planted. They could be on their own roots, and digging down carefully might tell you if they're grafted or not (look for the graft line). If so, plant them so that the graft line is above the soil. If there is not graft line, they they could simply be on their own roots. Meyer lemons are naturally bush-like. Limes not as much, but still are more compact trees and can send out lower branches.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Maybe the orange tree tag near the bottom will give you some insight.

• bonechickchris
    10 years ago

I am not an expert as others on here, but could this possibly be a polyembrionic (sp?) seedling and not a graft or rooting tree?

A few years back, I posted a thread about a tangerine tree I got through mail order that had 3 trunks (although mine was waaaayyyy younger than your tree). I was told it was a seeding that put up multiple trees (embryos, like triplets). However, I tried to find my 2 posts on this, but could not locate it. Maybe someone else can find it.

Do any of you pros out there think this could be it?
    Christy

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

NO, it is not a polyembryonic seedling; this is a Meyer. I might possibly be a multi-trunked rooted cutting; but my best guess without viewing the roots is that the bud union has been buried... not uncommon with the semi-idiots that work in big box stores, when they are putting trees into decorative pots to sell them.

• Audrey McDermott
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I bare root it to get down to the bottom of the mystery?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

That would be my suggestion...

• citrange2
    10 years ago

I'm sure your suggestion of five rooted cuttings is the correct one.
    Meyers Lemon cuttings root easily and quickly with a bit of mist and bottom heat. Commercially - for the ornamental potted market - it makes sense to do this. Most of all, you don't need an expert grafter. Simply a handful of shoots which anyone can stick in a pot. If one dies, it is easily removed. The multiple shoots quickly make a nice looking bushy plant ready for sale. Cheap and cheerful!
    Dis-entangle the roots by swishing around in a large bucket of not-too-cold water, and you'll discover five plants for the price of one.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

If the tag is the original it is from LaVerne Nursery so it would be a grafted tree.

• Audrey McDermott
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It turned out to be 6 rooted cuttings.

• jakkom
    10 years ago

6 bushes (Meyers are actually bushes, not trees) for the price of 1 - what a bargain!

And...a whole lot of lemons may be in your future, LOL....

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Must have been the so-called 'Dwarf' Meyer Lemon. LOL!

• A J
    8 years ago

Hate to bump a 2 year old post but this was exactly what I was looking for. Had a meyer lemon tagged plant I bought from home depot and neglected. Wondered if it was rooted so I didn't waste time if bad rootstock. Sure enough 3 rooted cuttings + part of a lower branch rooted by itself. 1 sickly neglected in ground plant should become 4 potted now.

Thanks.

• Reice
    8 years ago

That's pretty lucky! It's hard to find citrus here in Oklahoma, so I'd be pretty cheery if I found ANY multiple cuttings in one pot for the price of one!

• A J
    8 years ago

Now that I know this, all they seem to sell are the rooted cuttings at HD and lowes around here. There's a few single trunks, but 90% are 2-3 rooted cuttings stuck together.