Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Meyer Lemon - 5 trees or just 1 too deep?

Posted by andbowen 7b/8a DFW TX (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 13:13

I was at HD yesterday, and they had these "Deco Citrus" pots on sale for $13 - they had a small selection of Improved meyer lemon and key limes. I couldn't resist at that price, so I took home the one that appeared to be the healthiest. The biggest issue is that they all had multiple trunks.... So, did they root 5 cuttings in one pot? Or is this 1 tree that's just planted WAY too deep in the container? If it is multiple plants, is it worth trying to separate them, or should I just choose the healthiest looking one and clip the rest at the soil line? Thanks in advance for any help and pointers. This is my first citrus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Meyer Lemon - 5 trees or just 1 too deep?

Hard to say. But, certainly awfully deeply planted. They could be on their own roots, and digging down carefully might tell you if they're grafted or not (look for the graft line). If so, plant them so that the graft line is above the soil. If there is not graft line, they they could simply be on their own roots. Meyer lemons are naturally bush-like. Limes not as much, but still are more compact trees and can send out lower branches.

Patty S.

o

Maybe the orange tree tag near the bottom will give you some insight.

o

I am not an expert as others on here, but could this possibly be a polyembrionic (sp?) seedling and not a graft or rooting tree?

A few years back, I posted a thread about a tangerine tree I got through mail order that had 3 trunks (although mine was waaaayyyy younger than your tree). I was told it was a seeding that put up multiple trees (embryos, like triplets). However, I tried to find my 2 posts on this, but could not locate it. Maybe someone else can find it.

Do any of you pros out there think this could be it?
Christy

o

NO, it is not a polyembryonic seedling; this is a Meyer. I might possibly be a multi-trunked rooted cutting; but my best guess without viewing the roots is that the bud union has been buried... not uncommon with the semi-idiots that work in big box stores, when they are putting trees into decorative pots to sell them.

o

Should I bare root it to get down to the bottom of the mystery?

o

That would be my suggestion...

o

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 4:16

I'm sure your suggestion of five rooted cuttings is the correct one.
Meyers Lemon cuttings root easily and quickly with a bit of mist and bottom heat. Commercially - for the ornamental potted market - it makes sense to do this. Most of all, you don't need an expert grafter. Simply a handful of shoots which anyone can stick in a pot. If one dies, it is easily removed. The multiple shoots quickly make a nice looking bushy plant ready for sale. Cheap and cheerful!
Dis-entangle the roots by swishing around in a large bucket of not-too-cold water, and you'll discover five plants for the price of one.

o

If the tag is the original it is from LaVerne Nursery so it would be a grafted tree.

o

It turned out to be 6 rooted cuttings.

o

Thanks for the follow up; it's how we learn things here.

John

This post was edited by Johnmerr on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 13:42

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 16:21

6 bushes (Meyers are actually bushes, not trees) for the price of 1 - what a bargain!

And...a whole lot of lemons may be in your future, LOL....

o

Must have been the so-called 'Dwarf' Meyer Lemon. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here