Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemon branches

Posted by VegasGardener 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 13:17

Can someone tell me how often a Meyer should put on new branches? My particular tree seems to lack branches on one side. While not a big deal now, I'd like it to have at least one here to balance the weight when it puts on lemons. So I am hoping it sprouts something on that side. Flower buds started appearing a week ago, and they're now opening up. I'm wondering if I'll have a lopsided weighted tree lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemon branches

Can you post a photo? You don't say how old your tree is, or if it is planted inground or in container. If it is inground branches tend to grow in the direction of food, water and sunshine; try putting more fertilizer and water on the side you want the growth.

o

oh ok yeah it is potted, indoor. I guess I'll face the side with no brances toward the sun and water more on the non branch side. thanks!

o

The growth in the direction of food and water doesn't really apply to container plants. The primary factors in determining growth spurts are temperature and light. I live in a tropical climate, so my Meyers grow all year; in temperate climates they tend to grow little or not at all in Winter. First the roots grow; and then the branches and leaves; and citrus roots generally do not like to grow into cool soil. Perhaps one side of your container is cooler for some reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here