Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thezenraccoon

Kumquat and Rangpur Lime trees - ripening and best care???

Momma J
10 years ago

I have two questions about 1) initially overwatering a lime tree and 2) how long it takes for limes and kumquats to ripen? Some background to help with the picture:

A fantastic nearby garden store sadly closed recently, and as part of their liquidation sale I went out on a limb and bought two citrus trees: rangpur lime and a nagami kumquat. They're each in their own 18" clay pot on feet for good drainage. Both trees are about 12" tall (fairly small - grafted I believe?), in direct sunlight for about 3/4 of the day.

I'm new to citrus, let alone trees (I'm more of an herb gardner), and I now know we overwatered them at first (they were in the wrong kind of container for about a week before I could buy the right kind of planter). I believe they're correctly potted now (large clay pots as mentioned above), and we only water when the soil under the surface level also appears dry.

It's been about a 1.5 months since replanting and the kumquat seems to be doing just fine, but the lime tree's leaves are a bright -- almost yellow -- kind of green.

Both are producing some fruits...

1 - does anyone have thoughts on whether the lime tree might still be suffering from the initial overwatering? is it right to be watering only when it appears fully dry beneath the surface level?

2 - how long does it take for the fruit to ripen on these trees? the kumquats are getting pretty big, but have remained green for the last 3-4 weeks. I've read that it takes a "long time" for citrus to ripen, but anyone have a sense of what that means? a month? three months?

we have tiny fingers that like to pick the kumquats right now (my 1.5 year old daughter thinks it's a blast, haha, budding gardner!), so hopefully we'll have some left by the time they ripen!!!

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks so much!! :)

Comment (1)