Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentlc

5 or 15 gallon citrus?

KentLC
9 years ago

I'm planning out my new landscape, right now it is bare soil. I want to plant 4 citrus trees:

- semi dwarf Melogold/Oro Blanco or Cocktail grapefruit. I'm leaning toward Cocktail because I'm the only one in my family who really likes grapefruit, the rest say the sourness/bitterness is what they don't like. From what I've read they may like Cocktail.

- semi dwarf Gold Nugget mandarin for late, seedless, easy to peel fruit

- semi dwarf Kishu mandarin for early, seedless, easy to peel fruit. Originally I was planning Owari satsuma for the same qualities but I was told Kishu has consistently better tasting fruit, and it's true that satsuma is very good when it's good but can often be bland and tasteless.

- standard Meyer lemon

I've been gardening my whole life and many times I've found that paying for a larger pot at planting doesn't really pay off. After a few years the smaller pot frequently catches up with the larger one and many times the larger ones have had too much time being in a nursery pot, which creates poorer structure as the tree grows.

However I have no experience planting new citrus, is that also your experience? Or am I better off with a 15 gallon plant if I can find it? Price is not a consideration considering it's only 4 trees and this is a major landscape project. My only consideration is having a mature, healthy tree as soon as possible...I'm too old to wait for little plants to grow if I can help it.

Most of the above cultivars are available to me in 15 or 5 gallon, except for Kishu, haven't been able to find many of those yet. What is your experience? Any other comments about types I've listed are also welcome.

Thanks for your help and experience.

Comments (4)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

In my experience, 5 is ok for citrus. But, it doesn't matter. Any fruit tree I've grown is going to take many years to REALLY pump out fruit.

Right now, I'm second guessing a purchase and planting of an Avocado tree this past year. I'm getting up there in years too and am wondering if I'll truly get to enjoy the "fruits" of my labor before I die. :(

Btw, I have a Meyer's and a tangerine and both pump out plenty. But, like I said, they're very mature trees. You better be REALLY into lemons. I can't ever find a use for a vast majority of them. Might want to consider a dwarf on the lemon, if not. IIRC, they were either 3 or 5 gal.

Good luck.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 14:02

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

I'd go with 5 gallon pots, it saves money and within 6-12 months a 5 gallon citrus tree will catch up to a 15 gallon trees growth. 5 gallon trees also have less transplant shock than a 15 gallon. You have picked some good cultivars, you might also want to look into tango mandarin, very seedless and very tasty. Then you would have an early satsuma, a mid season tango and a late gold nugget mandarin. My gold nugget tree that I planted earlier this year grew 4' this summer they are very vigorous growers. For your semi dwarf rootstock look for c-35, my trees that are on that have done far better than the carrizo rootstock trees and we are in the same grow area and in SoCal. Just my .02
    Evan

• KentLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a mediterranean garden for the most part and I want the plant structure as much as the fruit. That's really why I'm planting the grapefruit, I like the green, lush foliage I've seen on grapefruit cultivars, desirable fruit is an extra. But lots of fruit is no problem, that's a way of life in southern california, giving away bags of citrus to friends and neighbors.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Kent, there are many studies out there that show a 5 gal tree will establish better and faster than a 15 gal tree. Most of my trees are 5 gal, a few 15 gal. If you cannot find a large, well developed tree in the 5 gal size, then as a backup I would select a 15 gal specimen. A 5 gal hole is a heck of a lot easier to dig, than a 15 gal hole, too :-) All your cultivars are excellent choices. I would opt for the Cocktail if you want to make everyone happy, but I am one of those folks who doesn't like the sour/bitter taste of a true grapefruit, and I LOVE both my Melogold and my Oroblancos. But, the Cocktail will be a no-brainer - it tastes exactly like what it is - a cross between a sweet pummelo and a very sweet mandarin. Outstanding. Yes, I would definitely opt for the Seedless Kishu over the Satsuma. If you are in S. California coastal area (like myself), it will do better and be more consistent for you. Seedless Kishu is in my "Top 5" of citrus cultivars, and my top mandarin choice. And, that's saying a lot to beat our Gold Nugget, which is probably #2 for me. I agree with Evan - try to find your trees on C35 (except your Meyer, of course). And, if you're in San Diego county, you can check Walter Andersen for Seedless Kishu, they usually have it in stock. Let us know how you do, and be sure to share photos of your yard, it sounds like it's quite the project :-)

Patty S.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor