Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkberry

Alternating plants inside then back outside

arkberry
10 years ago

We are in one of the transitional zones where winter can be lows into the 20's or rarely drop bellowing freezing. Over the past two years I have acquired more cold sensitive plants than I can keep inside all winter (cold hardy plants are kept in greenhouse all winter and it is pretty well full). I want the move my lemons and limes (meyer, vpl, persian, and ponderosa) inside only when it gets to about 36 or so outside. This should keep them protected from cold and get some sun when available with temps in the 40-50 's during day and lows in the upper 30's.

My main concern with this approach is the large swings in humidity and temperature. What am I not considering and what are some other thoughts.

Comments (9)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I would not be concerned what so ever...

If you want them to continually grow, then bring them in before temps dip below the 50 degree mark..

If you could care less as I do, and just want them to stay alive and healthy, although grow very slowly if any at all, then they will get use to that treatment..I say this because mine have never showed any signs of stress doing it the way you are..

I will tell you although, that you would be shocked to know that even exposed to cooler temps, you might pop some buds!

Mike

• arkberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike.

Not really looking for a ton of growth, but to stay healthy and be ready to bloom in the spring. I will continue to feed with half strength foliage pro just like I do the greenhouse plants.

We just brought them in for the first time this past week. They have been exposed to some lower temps and my big Meyer and lime are just covered in blooms. Not too surprised they are blooming (But not to this extent). I was more surprised a rio red grapefruit was in bloom.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that the Meyer is quite sensitive to significant light changes. The Meyer is tolerant to cold down to about 28F; so I would probably opt for a blanket and a light bulb on nights that would get below that.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I would respectfully not opt for what John has expressed , Sorry John...

I am very familuar with growing even Meyer Lemons up here and I can tell you that this too what is mentioned by Arkberry is a form of acclimating our trees to an environment...

I have once before expressed that any 'container' citrus, including Meyer Lemon outside, above the soil line will drop dead exposed to temps that cold, colder than the freeze point and even above...
    Not sure you got that..

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

He did say it "rarely drops below freezing"; hence my opinion.

• anne33kb
    10 years ago

I had my first Meyer lemon in the greenhouse a few years ago and on the coldest night my greenhouse heater went out. When I discovered it the max-min thermometer said 18 degrees. the lemons on it were frozen solid and all the new growth from that summer died but the older wood survived so the tree lived and replaced the killed branches the next summer. I was heartbroken that it suffered any damage and now I keep a backup heater going when it gets very cold. I just moved my Buddha's Hand back in the house, which it hated, for tonight because the temp is going into the lower 20's or lower tonight and I am afraid it would suffer if the greenhouse gets down below 45 tonight. I'm not giving you any advice what to do about your lemon. I left my old lemon in the greenhouse and have the newer one inside all winter because I think it would be more tender as this is its first winter here in NC.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, John, remember, container trees do not have the option of having their roots protected by the moderating affects of soil. Their tender roots are exposed to 28 degrees in a container, and that could spell death or very significant damage to any citrus, even the most cold tolerant citrus. I would not leave any container citrus out with temps below 35 degrees, as it may NOT be 35 degrees at the ground, since cold air sinks, and your thermometer on your wall may register 35 degrees up against the house, while your poor container citrus a ways out from the house may be at freezing or below. And, even those few nights it dips to the 20's, having those temps sustained for 3 or more hours may be all it takes. For container citrus, the cold temp rules are a little different. I know there's a difference just in my yard, between my more sophisticated Davis weather station I have installed in my "cold spot" in my yard, and my other weather station that is up against my house. They are probably not more than 30 feet apart from each other, but I have seen up to a 10 degree temp difference (both are calibrated) during our cold snaps here.

Patty S.

Patty S.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

When I moved from SoCal to Portland, OR, I wanted to continue growing a lemon tree. So, I planted one in a container and sat it on a wheeled plant dolly.

My Meyer did fine in a container all year as long, even thorough our winters. Whenever the temperature was predicted to be 32F or below, I pulled it into an unheated garage. I never put it indoors.

It did very well.

Leaf drop was never excessive, even during the one winter it had to remain in the unheated garage for 8 days without supplemental lights.

IMHO, people in moderate climates baby their citrus excessively.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Play it safe, and move or protect the trees if they will be spending any significant time in ~30F temps.

Josh