Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squeg_gw

Where to buy a Bearss Lime on Flying Dragon rootstock

squeg
9 years ago

I am in southern California. Any advice on where to buy a Bearss Lime on Flying Dragon rootstock?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (11)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Not aware of anyone that grafts to FD. Bearss is a small, compact citrus to start with. You can contact Four Winds Growers and see if they graft their Bearss to Cuban Shaddock, their dwarfing roostock of choice. It should stay smallish for you. Any reason why you want something on FD?

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers: Bearss Lime

• pip313
    9 years ago

Cuban shaddock sucks, I have 8 trees from them and they are beautiful and healthy the down side is loss of productivity after 10 years or so I heard. I will keep buying from four winds but only because I plan on grafting replacements in a few years. I bought a dwarf from briteleaf in flordia that has us897 as its rootstock. I plan on using that rootstock to produce fruit and therefore more rootstock to use in the grafting.

I don't know why more people don't grow rootstock varieties. Yes only a few people need rootstock but there is a market for rootstock that is not being met.

• pip313
    9 years ago

I see now your in CA so you can't get any from briteleaf.

• fruitmentor
    9 years ago

I understand that Four Winds has switched from Cuban Shaddock to C-35.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Squeg, most of my trees are on C-35 and they do very well in Southern California. Fruitmentor, why did four winds change to C-35 vs Cuban Shaddock? And where did you hear or read that? I'd be interested in reading the literature.
    Evan

• fruitmentor
    9 years ago

Four Winds gave a presentation a couple of years ago at my local CRFG group. They have made many changes in recent years to prepare for the possible arrival of the Asian citrus psyllid and citrus greening. Any citrus production nursery in California that is not growing inside of psyllid-proof screen houses by the time the Asian citrus psyllid arrives will be out of business. Four Winds has moved their operation to Watsonville and is now growing inside of screen houses. I suspect that the rootstock change may have something to do with regulatory changes related to the citrus greening threat, but if you want the exact details you could ask them.

I think that C-35 is a good choice.

Best regards,
    Dan Willey

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Awesome, thanks Dan.
    Evan

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

pip, the same can be said for most citrus grafted to FD - host-graft issues over time leading to failure. Fruitmentor, the CDFA required all grafting to be done under screen 2 years ago. So, this has indeed, come to pass already. Don't think the ACP had that much bearing on their choice of rootstock, as they could certainly grow their own seedling rootstock themselves under screen to use. I suspect it is due to the exceptional success of C35. Most of my trees are on C35, I have recommended it consistently on this list for some time. Many commercial orchards here in California are switching to C35 as well. I particularly like C35 for its better tolerance to phytophthora, which is an issue for those in S. Orange County/N. San Diego county.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

pip... I wouldn 't bet all my dollars/trees on us897; it looks promising, but so did the Serr walnuts, which in longer term proved to be a disaster; Dr. Serr, for whom the variety was named, would roll over in his grave today over the results. Try it, but don't put all your marbles down on something that really has no long term tests.

• pip313
    9 years ago

I will get c35 eventually also

Kerry wrote:

The Dwarf Rootstocks we use are suited to the individual fruiting varieties used and confer disease resistance, dwarfing characteristics and other qualities.
    Most grapefruit, lemons, oranges and limes are grafted onto Cuban Shaddock.
    Most kumquat, mandarins and some limes are grafted onto trifoliate type rootstocks.
    We don't graft onto Poncirus, but sell it here for those who want to use it for their own purposes.

• pip313
    9 years ago

Kerry would be Kerry from four winds, when she said poncirus she meant flying dragon that's what they sell that's poncirus.

I can't get her to give me a straight answer on what is grafted on c35 or troyer, I was going to buy anything to cut the scion off and grow it for more rootstock. She did say they use those though.