Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

Name your winner and loser

serge94501
10 years ago

Tried some new varieties. Some are too early to judge (no fruit). For those that did fruit, pick a winner and a loser. Here's my pair:

Loser: Nippon Orangequat. Lots of useless fruit. Not a good lime substitute, nothing special about the peel/zest, unsatisfactory juice. I'm calling this one an ornamental.

Winner: Page Mandarin. Best tasting, edging out cara cara. Seems eager to fruit.

Comments (11)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, similar to your findings - Indio Mandarinquat. Very pretty tree and fruit, but falls into the same category as Calamondin - strictly ornamental as the fruit is not good for much. Winner, hmm, had to narrow down, I have about 10 real favorites - Seedless Kishu, Page mandarin (makes the best juice hand's down), Cocktail pommelo hybrid, Gold Nugget, Tango, Moro, Tarocco, Melogold/Oroblanco, Weikiwa, Valentine.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 16:07

• eahamel
    10 years ago

I tried an orangequat once and decided that was enough for me. No room in my yard for that .I have a limequat that's started producing heavily after making 2 or 3 for several years. Not crazy about it, I'm treating it as a lemon or lime substitute.

Winners - rio red grapefruit, nagami kumquat, and of course, my lemon tree. I have several others that aren't large enough to produce yet, and a satsuma that's good, but gee, you have to harvest them all at one time.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

One of the many, but maybe the biggest advantage of Meyer lemon is they will hang on the tree up to 4 months after maturity. Combine that with two crops per year and the result is a mature Meyer will have harvestable fruits nearly the entire year.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

I took a load of different citrus to my parents for Thanksgiving. Only thing ready was Kishu, Cara Cara, Clementine, Satsuma, Meyer, and Bears.

100% raves for the Kishu.

Meyer is crazy productive. I only bought the #15 tree this spring and haven't planted it yet. First batch was over 30 large juicy lemons. It uses more water and fertilizer than my potted Eureka that is 3-4 time the size.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

this is to get me on the list of emails. I am interested in reading the replies

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

A great thread / discussion!
    I have several winners, the Bearss lime, Eustis Limequat, and Okitsu Wase Satsuma. All very heavy producers and are now ready to enjoy. I just harvested dozens this weekend. If i had to pick one, its the Okitsu.

The Meyers are just yellowing up, so good as lemons, but have not developed the desired sweetness yet. The Lisbons, Owari, and Page are productive, but not ready to harvest either. And with a forecast low of 22F later this week, i am unsure if i will have any to enjoy at all this season.
    A surprise winner last year for me was the Moro.... wow.

I have a positive opinion of the Nippon Orangequat is productive, a beautiful hedge and is great for unique cocktails.
    Another surprise is the Millsweet Limetta.

My Loser: the Indio Mandarinquat. It has an unusual taste that has yet to find a use.

• sugar_land_dave
    9 years ago

Orangequat is a man's fruit. Used in early season, it has a tartness many times stronger than a lemon, but with a strong orange taste. Puts some zing to drinks like a slap in the face. If you leave them on the tree through spring, they start to have a red tinge and become milder with a bit of sweetness to them. Not a fruit for the faint of heart though.

Perhaps you would prefer a sweet kishu or satsuma?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Winners Meyer lemon tree of mature wood now fruiting
    {{gwi:2143709}}

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooser
    Meiwa kumquat from seed and seed grown nagami to

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Another winner
    Sweetlee tangerine trees from seed at 2 years of age from seed sprout

{{gwi:2124218}}

My super duper winner
    Hardy chicago figs just keeps pumping them out

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

I ran a taste test of Orangequat vs. Fukushu kumquat martinis last month. Fukushu was the hands down winner. The orangequats are excessively productive but the flavor balance of the Fukushu was excellent.
    Although the test was not "scientific", the winner was obvious. The juice was produced by a masticating juicer (horizontal, like an extruder) so the whole fruit was used - BUT - i did remove as many of the seeds as i could. Only ice and vodka was added.
    The Orangequats are very pretty shrub-like trees, but may be eliminated due to space limitations. Ripening time(s) may change my mind... this past winter's mild temperatures allowed the fruit to ripen - just about all at the same time! If the orangequat produces ripe fruit during other times of the year i may keep them,
    - George