Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

flying dragon seed or cuttings?

hairmetal4ever
18 years ago

Where can I obtain Dwarfing Flying Dragon rootstock? Seed or cuttings?

Comments (15)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Hair, you can buy a small plant at www.worldplants.com I think it's 4 or 5.00...Toni

• Laaz
    18 years ago

FD usually take about 2 years to become grafting size. If you want to eliminate the wait I think Stan still has some available. Check these out, just got them in. They are going dormant but as you can see from the remaing leaves, they are variegated Flying Dragon.

{{gwi:641930}}

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

those are sweet Laaz! My FD seedlings are a few months old, and I am not going to try to graft this spring. theyre just tiny, and im clumsy. Theyre growing well, and all are non-contorted yet.

Is varigation only a sport/cutting trait?

• Don_OKC
    18 years ago

Hi Laaz,

Tell me about this variegated Flying Dragon from Stan. I did not know anyone had a stable variegated poncirus. I am always looking for one in my rootstock seedlings and do find them but so far nothing has been longterm stable. I have had the most stunning poncirus variegations (stems & leaves) tease me over the years but nothing was stable.

• Laaz
    18 years ago

These are not from Stan. I was referring to the standard FD.

• Don_OKC
    18 years ago

If you don't mind I still would like to hear about the variegated Flying Dragon. Are those in your pic budded from a mature variegated Flying Dragon specimen? If so I sure would find a picture of a variegated adult very interesting.

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Contact me by email. I have fruit and seed available. They are falling off the tree. Do you have anything interesting to trade?

• Laaz
    18 years ago

Don here's a pick of the mother plant:

{{gwi:641931}}

• Laaz
    18 years ago

Hi garnetmoth. Yes they are a bud sport & very rare. These were budded to standard FD rootstock as you can see. I collect variegated citrus and am always on the hunt for rare varieties. At the moment I have :

Variegated Eureka Lemon
    Variegated Centennial Kumquat
    Variegated Ponderosa Lemon
    Variegated Owari Satsuma
    Variegated Buddha's Hand Citron
    Variegated Etrog Citron
    Variegated Lisbon Lemon (Sungold)
    Variegated Chinotto Orange
    Variegated Flying Dragon
    Variegated Calomondin

• Scott_K
    18 years ago

Nice score, Laaz!

Looking forward to dinner with you guys after the expo next Saturday.

• Laaz
    18 years ago

Scott YGM.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Laaz, where did you buy all the variegated citrus?

• Don_OKC
    18 years ago

Laaz,

All I can say is WOW, there it is one of those! lol

I have found sports with young seedlings but nothing would be stable and that was just regular poncirus. Finding a stable sport with FD is really something.

Now who's got a thornless poncirus? What about a evergreen pureblood poncirus? lol

• Laaz
    18 years ago

Don I'm still searching for the standard variegated Poncirus. I have a friend with variegated Citrumello I am waiting on, as well as a variegted Blood Orange & some others. let me know if you have a source for any other variegated varieties.

Toni - I have traded & purchased these from all over. Some were very expensive & very difficult to find.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! All I wanted was a grafting rootstock. Those vareigated FD's are awesome!