Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

got cold fast in Georgia

Having to bring all trees in living room tonight they are going in greenhouse Monday. Had to water them with 85 degree water to warm roots after last night most where wilted badly but they all perked up no real damage thank God. It was only supposed to get down to 39 last night but it was 33 this morning time for greenhouse.
Trace

Comments (12)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Tracy, that's weird...I just saw that you posted in Bugs and then I was glad to see you. I asked you if it got cold there and if you have used heat yet? How strange is that?
    I was thinking of you.
    I hope your plants are ok. It's the earliest snow and cold they say for far south as you. Go figure. We are not going to get a break this winter either. I hate these types of weather patterns and cold(
    Good to hear from you.

MIke

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mike I hate it to plants are good lost tiny bit of new growth to cold but all is well. Green house was 45 last night with no heat so should be good with heat.
    Trace

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Brrr. We FINALLY got some rain last night and today. A welcome relief from the heat. I can actually say I'm glad it is 56 degrees out right now at 7:30 pm! Trace, I would consider getting a weather station in your yard, since you have a nice investment in your citrus trees if you don't already have one. I have a nice Davis Weather station that transmits to my computer and have it linked to the internet as well. Very helpful in tracking more accurate temps for me, since I'm up in the hills, and the weather for my city is about 1,000' below me :-)

Patty S.

• Woadie007
    9 years ago

I also moved my little baby meyer into the living room. It was so freezing cold last night and early morning. I don't have a green house so wondering if grow lights will have to be used.

Original Author
    9 years ago

My living room lol.

Original Author
    9 years ago

More
    Trace

• Woadie007
    9 years ago

Tcamp30144 thanks great, I followed your lead to save mine. I also picked up an extra light plus moved them into an extra bathroom. Can you share any tips for indoor care? Also I got a new baby added, olive tree! They look like a cute couple. How should I water these and how long should lights be on? Do I mist the leaves and fert. at every watering?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well mine are going into green house but for the ones I have inside keep them by sunny window if u can. I use 6500k lights to help with the lack of sun.
    Trace

• TheRiGuy Manitoba Canada Zone -3a
    9 years ago

I wish that was the forecast for my area, my kumquat has been inside since late September :( it was snowing all day today, luckily none of it is sticking around yet.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

I was hoping our weather had finally broken last weekend, we were in the mid 70's during the day, headed back into the 90's this weekend. Still waiting for my first evening below 55. I know it bugs people when I say these things, but I have the opposite issue as people that live in cold areas, I get 6 months of temps over 105 in which I have to hide indoors in the air conditioned house vs a heated house in the winter. On the plus side, my citrus live outdoors all year in ground.
    Evan

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Evan

"my citrus live outdoors all year in ground"

Work and care need on citrus tree.

1 DAY IN A POT ================361.049 DAYS IN THE GROUND.

As for you and others, it is ether our selves or jobs that decides "witch" half of the year we hide.

Funny thing is I am very comfortable with temperatures in the 90's and low 100's. But my specialty is only available here in Cincinnati.

I am very aware that you have a different set of area undesirables than me.

Keep having a great life. I will too.

Steve

• User
    9 years ago

We have not had a frost yet here. It is coming, usually first frost is around early to mid November. My Citrus are protected but lots of plants are still outside...Cycads, Queen Palms, Date Palms, Washingtonia palms, some bananas. I am just happy that so far...my trees are safe from the Autumn deer rut, though this year they rutted some rarer species of Trachy palms.