Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thumbgreener

Help with Tangerine tree

thumbgreener
9 years ago

My tangerine tree is currently dropping leaves and I am finding brown spots on the bottom of them. Some leaves dry and shrivel to almost dust and others drop while they are still fresh looking.

The picture that I am including is the bottom of a leaf that dropped today.

I will give you some history of this tree because it has not been a happy tree with me since I bought it two years ago.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I bought the tree on sale during Novemeber two years ago. I bought it to keep in my condo. the tree looked tall and healthy and must have been a few years old already. First the tree was happy it grew taller and put out 5 flowers within two months. They all fell off. Then there was a spider mite attack and it lost many leaves. Just touching it 20 leaves would fall. I sprayed the tree. It had a second round of spider mite attack and lost even more leaves. However this time after the spidermites were terminated it grew flower buds and a few leaves (more flower buds than leaves but they all fell off). I moved into a house and my plant started to dye at the main trunk and I lost even more leaves. The garden centre said it was too dry and to start fertilizing and put it outside when the frost is gone. This summer I did the same thing and I got a few new leaves and it flowered three times but dropped all of the tiny "fruit". I have a few new branches coming back but it is still no where near the full thickness of when I bought it. Today it is dropping leaves and had brown spots. I do not know what to do. It is not underwatered. I have had to remove two mushrooms from its pot this week not sure if that means anything.

Comments (12)

• thumbgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am also posting a picture of a leaf that is still attached to the tree with spots.

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

Could you attach a picture of the whole tree in its current environment?

• thumbgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry this took so long. It is actually in my kitchen right now. I know you think that is a horrible place but my other plants seem to like it there. Funny thing is that last year we had a power outage for 5 days and my plant did not show any signs of stress at all with no heat in the house (Canadian winter).

I have two banana plants a blood moro orange and a june plum tree that all doing fine there, but there is something Im doing wrong with my tangerine tree. The cut branch in the middle was actually the main branch that died back last year. The tree used to be much fuller too.

Thank you for any help

• thumbgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• thumbgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention I use a lamp with a grow light on my plants for 3-8 hours a day.

• thumbgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is ok, but I would just like to bump my thread. I am just getting worried about my tree. It loses leaves everyday. Is it trying to go dormant? I am hoping that someone can help me with some advice.

Thanks

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

Hi Thumbgreener,

I think it may just be adjusting to new light conditions--many citrus don't like the change, even with supplimental light. Nothing quite compares to the sun. Where are the leaves dropping from? Main trunk?

Also, since you're in typical potting soil, make sure you cut back watering now that it's indoors again. Citrus don't like having perpetually wet feet; dying roots can also lead to leaf drop. This coming spring, if you plan on keeping that tree around in future years, consider planting it into a 1-1-1 gritty or 5-1-1 mix. Those soils don't have the same problem with water retention that your run-of-the-mill peat-based potting soils are plagued with.

-Tom

• thumbgreener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you,

Yes the main trunk. None of the leaves at the bottom have fallen as yet. I will definitely change the the soil. Thankyou for the advice.

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Brought tree, was doing well, then started loosing leaves. Do tangerine leaves lose all their leaves like a peach tree? Not watering as much could that be a reason leaves are falling. How do you know if it's dormant if the green leaves are still on tree.

• torontonick
    9 years ago

I cant imagine that aqua globe would be good for these trees.

I think it will constantly keep one side of the the soil wet. Not allowing it to dry.

I am in toronto too. I am lucky our house did not lose any power last year during that ice storm. Funny thing is , look at outside today. +9 C. last year this exact time was - 1000 degrees w rain!

• Lorraine Miller
    9 years ago

Removed the lamp. However still confused why leaves fell off. I have not watered to make sure soil is dry.

• pip313
    9 years ago

Get your own thread this is someone elses. Asking a related question is one thing but your asking about a whole different issue.