Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Armstrong Satsuma or ???

Trying to figure out if this is what I have thought it was for the last 4 years, tagged an Armstrong and the past years fruits were about half this size, smoother skinned and pretty tasty. None of the photos I can find of Armstrong look anything like this one does. I can tell these will have a zipper skin. I hope whatever it is that it still tastes good.
{{gwi:642989}}

mike

Comments (10)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Looks like a satsuma to me, Mike. All satsumas look essentially the same. It's not unusual for them to get big like that, and have a neck. It can have to do with irregular temps and water, as well as immaturity. Most all satsumas look the same. See the link I'm giving you below. Scroll down to the 'Newer Satsumas', and then click on the photo of the Armstrong satsuma. You will see exactly what you're seeing on your tree :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Pages: Satsumas

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's great Patty! Thank you for that. The fact that the fruit is so much bigger than before threw me off.

I figure you would have a good answer :)

Mike

10 years ago

No problem, Mike :-) Armstrong is a good tasting, reliable early satsuma. Hope you have a good crop this year. Remember, satsumas as slow maturing citrus, and really will not reach their best until they're about 5 years old, maybe 6 years :-) Let us know how they are for you, they look like they should be ready very soon.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Um Mike!!!!! Look at you go!

That is one nice looking tree with fruit and in a pot..Great work pal and thank God we have Patty around these parts..

MIke

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both Mike and Patty. I'm glad to hear your opinion on the flavor Patty.

Hey mike. Shoot me an email when you can. I lost yours. You Dont have that option through GW anymore.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Looks great, Mike!

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

So I ate the first one tonight. Everything was great. The skin pealed right off, the segments were plump and juicy. The color is nice and orange. Sugar content was good. Plus Not a seed one. Only problem hardly any flavor at all. Maybe it was not completely ripe yet. I Dont know we will see on the rest. I'll let them go another week or two.

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Had another this morning. Still no taste. :( I'm waiting another couple weeks to a month and try another one.

Frustrating.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Don't you just hate that!?

It seems to me you have to pick container citrus just right and even at that, a certain time of the year...

I find that if my orange trees ripens fruit in the winter, it's dry and tasteless, and yet when they ripen in fall, delicious and sweet...

Maybe the same holds for them too MIke?
    If they had matured and ripened at a different time of the year, like let's say right after summer, I wonder if they would of tasted much better just as they look now?

Mike, a great job no matter what..You certainly have a gift there...

Here is my E-mail if you need it..I tried you again and I can't understand why you are not getting my mail through the forums..
    E-mail and I will save you too..I thought I did once before, but can't find your E-mail address..:-)

mikerno_1@yahoo.com

Mike

10 years ago

Mike, satsumas do take a long time to mature, and produce good fruit. So, patience is in order. I also just read an interesting piece of info about how to produce better satsumas in-ground, and in Texas) over on the Citrus Growers Forum that recommends early fertilizing, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day before bloom set to promote a LOT of blossoms and thinner skins (and sweeter fruits), along with plenty of water. But, it does take at least 5-6 years for Satsumas to mature, so all that probably should be taken into consideration, especially with the earlier satsumas like Armstrong.

Patty S.