Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

A diary of 2 kumquat + 4 tangerine trees

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

This will be my thread that I will post my pictures to. When applicable I post links to this thread for others to see if they wish.

My first pictures starting 11-10-13

{{gwi:636127}}
Seed grown #1 sweetlee tangerine bush. Sprouted 1-3-13.

{{gwi:643223}}
Seed grown #3 sweetlee tangerine tree. Sprouted 1-3-13

Citrus are among the prettiest of plants

Unless someone request pics, I'll keep my pics to this thread

Click the link below to see my growing equipment in Photobucket. Feel free to look around all my pictures are public access.

Here is a link that might be useful: [http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/?sort=4&page=0(http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/?sort=4&page=0)

Comments (66)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

Looks good all but blocks or orange hope they bounce back. Steve you work so hard its amazing you have such good trees in your climate good luck.

10 years ago

Im trying my luck at seed grown kumquats not we will see if they sprout lol.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tc

The seeds need to sprout and break soil fast or they rot in the soil. I place mine in a sealed container with 2 inches head room. and place in my heating duct so that the furnace keeps it around 80 F to 100 F They are up in 4 to 7 days.
    I move them into their own cup and I place the seed part at the soils surface so that none of the stem touches the soil. This helps with damp-off -(rot around the collar)-. I also use a rooting powder on the stem and on the dirt around the stem. When the tree has some root length and you are able to pot it up; plant it so that a 1/2 inch of root is showing above the ground. This really help with damp-off prevention.

The blow dryer picture below aerates the roots with warm air.

The seed grown kumquat grows at 1/4th the rate as a tangerine tree and will be very susceptible to damp-off for a year as apposed to 3 months roe the tangerine trees.

the soil need to be sterile and drain faster than an Indianapolis 500 race car. The root are about 20% the size of its top and as a result they grow slowly. When you put it out for the summer use a bottomless container. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. Keep me posted on your tree with pics and check out my link below on my failures and successes

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 22:40

10 years ago

The seeds are turn green from the white they where. Think there abut to sprout will keep u posted have them in mini window sealfreen house with 95f heat mat under them.

10 years ago

Love ya Steve thanks advise here to u

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My 14 month old nagami kumquat tree gets checked for root rot and found to be in excellent condition. I colorized the tree to make it more visible.

The tree is planted in a soil mix of 1 part crushed brick up to 3/4 inches. 3 parts sand up to 1/4 inch 1 part pine bark fines. 1 par good top soil. When I turned the tree upside down the soil drained from the roots and left the roots as in the picture. The soil was damp through out but not wet.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:15

10 years ago

Looks very healthy steve u amaze me the work u do

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tcamp Thanks for the compliment.

My kumquat trees have been acclimated to bright sunlight, first through 4 layers of glass down to one layer over 2 weeks and are now getting short bursts of direct sunlight. Since the kumquats have lost some leaves there are no pictures.

Sweetlee #1 was kicked out of the grow box and is in the window to get its first taste of filtered direct sunlight. It has grown quit a bit since going inside in October.

{{gwi:606402}}
    Sweetlee when she came in for the winter.

-------------------------------------------------------------

sweetlee as she came out for sunlight.
    {{gwi:569343}}

sweetlee tangerine grown from seed that sprouted 1-7-13

The next 3 trees will come out in 2 weeks when I have finished acclimating the 4 trees now.

Steve

10 years ago

Your tangerine trees look healthy wow

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spider removes the stinkbug on my sweetlee tangerine tree.

Bye Bye

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my 2 smaller Pt's are outside to prevent them from leafing out. The 3rd Poncirus is in the basement. It weighs in at 250 pounds and would be too hard to bring back in if the weater got to cold. I checked on it to day to move out and even though it is in a basement with a half hour of sunlight, it has started growing. I can't take it out for 6 weeks now. see pic below

My kumquats and sweetlee tangerine trees are now sun aclimated. I will now start on sweetlee #2. It is much larger and will take more care in the wind acclimation process.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:28

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My meiwa is now 2 years old. Compare her to sweetlee #1 tangerine above at just over 1 year. The picture below shows meiwa kumquat tree in front of sweetlee 2 thru 4 and alone.

Steve

• vp_78
    10 years ago

This is such an interesting post -- thanks for the updates! I'm going to continue to follow...!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At this time of the year my kumquat trees have lost there leaves, but the sweetlee tangerine tree are faring much better.

Oh but the figs 'hardy chicago' look better every day and have set many fruits.

{{gwi:643236}}{{gwi:643238}}{{gwi:643239}}{{gwi:587121}}
    The top 3 pics show the many fruits. The bottom picture shows how I am Air layering new trees. The wide shallow branch has roots developing. I should be able to seperater it in 3 weeks.

As for the citrus and kumquats, They are now adapted to full sun and I am now working on leaf and twig strength ro handle wind storms.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://youtu.be/rPBp6lom4A8

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweetlee tangerine tree is now outside in its new permanent place on the south side of my house. She will be enclosed all winter and open to the outside during the growing season. I placed her in a bottomless 30 inch by 30 inch box by 1 foot deep.

{{gwi:569341}}
    Seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree in Its new permanent home.

Meiwa kumquat tree / bush in in a bottomless 18 in by 18 inch box 1 ft deep.

{{gwi:569339}}
    Meiwa kumqut bush is also grown from seed.

Steve

10 years ago

Are u going to build your greenhouse over the now.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trace

I will build the structure then glaze it in fall and un-glaze it in spring. This to will be going in the green house at the toe.

{{gwi:643358}}
    my hardy chicago kumquat tree. "FIG"

If you look up to the last fig entry, the last picture shows it still attached to the trunk. The branch cut can be seen inside the white circle.

{{gwi:587119}}
    In its new container.

Steve

• yeehova
    10 years ago

This is an amazing thread! I have a 13 month old kumquat seedling that is only about 4-5 inches tall. I did severely restrict food and water to try to limit growth before winter though. My kumquat was also left outside on the porch until December where it survived several very light frosts. It didn't grow a millimeter for several months until it woke up last month and slowly started pushing new leaves. I think I over did the harsh treatment.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have found a new home for sweetlee tangerine tree #1. I planted her from seed and she sprouted 1-7-13.

{{gwi:569343}}
    I bid you fair well and a good life to you. I know your new owner and she is an avid gardener with veggies and fruit trees.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My sweetlee tangerine trees have done very well after their rough start in spring. The tree below is the same tree in the 30 inch raised bed pictured above.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other in ground sweetlee tangerine tree. All 4 of the sweetlee trees are from seed and 18 months old. A friend now owns one of them.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sweetlee is in a 55 gallon half drum.

Steve

• serge94501
    9 years ago

I really admire your work. Thanks for posting all the updates and pictures.

9 years ago

They look nice hows the kumquats.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

serge, Trace

Thanks for looking and the kind words. The kumquats look like "87695KJHGVVYJR65437865I" But are still alive.

9 years ago

Sorry about your kumquats Steve I hope they recover my kumquat seedling are growing fast and doing well I hope that stays true.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A much better picture of sweetlee #3 as the tree really accelerates in growth. The other 2 sweetlee tangerine tree have good pictures. All 3 of the kumquat trees have both feet out of the grave but just barely. They pulled through. One of my PT's is ready to bend graft with Nagami. I will take pictures as a grafted pair soon.

Steve

Google link to all sweetlee picks below, plus a few stray figs.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457?banner=pwa

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My meiwa kumquat has pulled through and now has 2 growth spurts around 8 inches long. She is looking good now. I am going to leave her outside all winter in its rooftop 18 inch square by 1 foot tall razed bed. The sides will be very well insulate and a 4 sheet glass top to get sun and a top to insulate at night. We will see how meiwa does after a winter rest to a new spring. Perhaps this will kick her butt in gear.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A close up of an active growing shoot

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other shoot

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Steve...Looking good, real nice..

I'd be curious to see how it does all winter?
    How will you heat that area?
    It will do terrific with all that light..I wish you luck)

MIke

9 years ago

Congratulations steve hope it makes it all my trees are well only thing starting to bloom are kumquats but all is well.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike, Trace

Thanks for looking and wishing my trees well. I will not be heating but the raised bed is above a heated bedroom so the roots should stay around 60 degrees. The foliage area should stay above freezing most if not all winter. I will have open pans of water that will have to go through a phase change from water to ice before the enclosure can go below 32 F.

Trace; Is that flowering kumquat one from seed.

Steve

9 years ago

No sadly not steve its a meiwa bought a year ago will take a pick tomorrow
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have made some head-way on my green house. It will be 5 feet wide by 17 ft long with a 7 foot ceiling. The video shows what I have in the greenhouse area and I plan to add a 2 Meyer lemon trees and a potted sweetlee tangerine tree.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgL9a7WABlM

9 years ago

Nice videos steve
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike and trace Thanks for looking and the compliments. This is an update on the greenhouse. There is a lot more work to do. once the GH is done i will do a video of it with the trees inside.

Steve

9 years ago

Looking nice
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My meiwa is bolting for the sky. It has 2 trunks over 18 inches each that are growing about 3 inches per week. It is free of the spider mites and shows no other stresses.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top 2 feet of my 5 foot tall in ground sweetlee tangerine tree #4. Strong growth spurts looking good. the longest growth started from the side of a thorn instead of a bud union. look inside the black circle.

Steve

9 years ago

Meiwa kumquat had baby's not seed grown still cute.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trace nice looking tree. It has always amazed me at how small a grafted citrus tree can be and produce fruit. My grafted apples started producing after 15 years. My peaches from seed take 3 years and are 8 feet tall minimum size. Thanks for posting here. Are your seed grown kumquats doing well.

I took a closer picture of the thorn branch. It is now twisting the thorn and leaning. I clipped off the last inc so the branch will serve as food for the tree. This will allow heftier shoots to grow instead.

Steve

9 years ago

There doing good still growing will post pic of the seed grown soon. Your trees look good Steve.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trace. Thanks for the compliment.

The kumquat trees are on the rooftop and under glass for the rest of the 14-15 cold weather.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All trees survived the 16 F night with no cold damage. All my kumquat and tangerine trees set out with very large flushes in September and November. While these flushes are still active they have slowed down to under an inch a week.

My greenhouse is heated by heat bleeding from my (R-5 basement wall into the dirt and heat bleed through My R-40 dinning room wall into the air.

I have no new picture as there is not much change over time at this time of the year.

Trace. Thank for following and sharing
    Your trees look very nice. I enjoy seeing your picture. You and I seem to be the most excited over our seed grown trees. I would like to see updates as they show more growth. When ever I make plans for my trees I find that they do something making it impossible to continue as planed I have no control over what is likely to happen a month down the calender. I will do another YouTube video when the greenhouse is up to 4 layers glass thick on all surfaces.

Steve

9 years ago

Love to see your pics to Steve trees are unpredictable most of my trees have slowed in growth because of the cooler temperatures and sunlight change. Greenhouse trees have slowed in growth also however lemon trees are starting to bloom.
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Trace

Inside the green house another Meyer lemon blooms.

to see the history of my Meyer lemons click

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0400243730671.html

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A close up of the first flower cluster on the smaller tree.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My latest on sweetlee tangerine #3 from seed. The tree is planted in the ground inside my winter cold frame/Greenhouse. This is the only tree I have that has enough new growth since the last picture. The kumquats on my roof have lost most of their foliage and small branches. We will see what happen next spring. I'll get some pictures of them when I know they are " ^(%G*&^k@#l^e^($#jg*&^%I$*& "

Steve

This is the same tree pictured above in the 30 inch by 30 inch 1 foot deep raised bed. The wall have been removed and dirt added to expand the root area to 5 feet.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 23:10

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i HAVE CONTINUED THIS LINE ON A NEW 2015 THREAD . CLICK BELOW

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0119200229928.html