Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A diary of 2 kumquat + 4 tangerine trees

Posted by poncirusguy micro(Z-6.8; AHS-8) (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 17:32

This will be my thread that I will post my pictures to. When applicable I post links to this thread for others to see if they wish.

My first pictures starting 11-10-13

#1 sweetlee finished  new growth starts new flush photo Sweetleetangerine1201311-10-13_zpsaa3fa959.jpg
Seed grown #1 sweetlee tangerine bush. Sprouted 1-3-13.

#3 Sweetlee tree 2013, 11-10-13 photo IMG_1118_zps3f2aa610.jpg
Seed grown #3 sweetlee tangerine tree. Sprouted 1-3-13

Citrus are among the prettiest of plants

Unless someone request pics, I'll keep my pics to this thread

Click the link below to see my growing equipment in Photobucket. Feel free to look around all my pictures are public access.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/?sort=4&page=0

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A diary of 2 kumquat + 4 tangerine trees

You have nice trees u should root a cutting before u turn them to rootstock looks like they would have nice fruit if u let them grow.

o

Yes, I have to agree with Tcamp...

Beautiful little things they are Steve and what a great idea to start this thread...There is much you can share here for anyone that wants to give your methods a try..

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 18:01

o

The tree you see in my last entry with the yardstick, fits into the empty bucket behind it. The hole you see in the empty bucket is where the vacuum cleaner hose fits. There is a tight seal between the two buckets so the air is pulled from the base of the tree's bucket.

The new home a 4.5 gallon bucket 4 sweetlee #1 photo IMG_4556_zps1af21e20.jpg
What the bucket holding the tree looks like. Just a litle air sucks through each one of the 300+, 3 millimeter holes. No problems.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 14:54

o

Those tangerine trees look awesome! Did you just use the seeds of fruit you bought in a store? I would love to have some of those myself.

o

I got the fruit at a country town in PA. this store listed the names of all the fruits there so I knew what I was buying I placed the seeds in a closed container with potting mix and placed them in my heating duct just in side a wall vent. They were up in 4-8 days.

For a picture story on my growing methods and equipment click the link below

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 8:20

o

Just touching base on my Nagami kumquat tree from seed coming inside and in the bucket light setup

Nagami has a lien on it photo nagamihasalean_zpsb14baaf4.jpg
Nagami has a lien on it.

Water sprout foreclose on lien photo IMG_4706_zps397228ba.jpg
Water sprout forecloses on the Nagami lien.
This is an excellent way to deal with a fallen or leaning tree when it is still small

Nagami's growth took place in a 4 week period in side the bucket light. Meiwa has put on 3 inches of growth. not worth a new picture, but click below for access to the meiwa files

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile/5950257249909926306?banner=pwa&pid=5950257249909926306&oid=111099372377958308

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 23:39

o

Pictures of my seed grow sweetlee tangerine trees to date. Sweetlee #1 and #3 along with nagami are pictured in above entries.

Sweetlee tangerine tree #2 with 79" of trunk & limb growth. she is 49 weeks old.
Sweetlee #2; 2012-12-15 photo Swetlee12012-12-15_zps25ecd589.jpg
Sweetlee #2 in front of sweetlee #1 getting their bimonthly water and flush.

seed grown sweetlee tree #4 with 87 inches of total growth. same age.
Sweetlee #4;2013-12-15 photo Sweetlee42013-12-15_zpsf1b54112.jpg
Sweetlee from seed #4 in front of #3 getting water.Sweetlee #3 is the largest with 97 inches total growth All the sweetlee tangerine trees are 49 weeks old. Notice the 51 week old Nagami kumquat tree to the left. Don't grow kumquats from seed.

The sweetlee trees #2, #3,& #4 will out grow the box in 2 weeks. They will not fit next year.
Steve

o

My sweetlee trees are now 1 year old and have grown to big to get out ot their growing box. I wanted to post photos of the 1 year old from seed sweetlee tangerines. My nagami is 2 weeks older an1/6 the size and meiwa is 21 months old and 1/3 the size of my sweetlee tangerine tree.

I made a video of the trees in side their light box setup with description of the contents and the boxes design.

Click link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaASoeaBErs&feature=em-upload_owner

o

Hey, Steve! Great youtube name!

Josh

o

My trees will be permanently placed in my 12 FT tall greenhouse by the 2015-2016 cold season. I am making final calculations on its south to north depth. The width is 35 FT. My heating system will consist of a few 55 gallon barrels with water heater elements in them. The barrels will be open on top for vapor to humidify the air. The condensation and frost on the outer greenhouse glazing will lock the temperature at 32 F and no lower. This should be almost maintenance free, even in an extended power outage, and giving me a day or two to get a backup heater. I'll explain how my condensate heating works on the glass side of the greenhouse later.

o

After reading on this forum about spider mites I decided to remove my sweetlee trees and spray with dormant oil. It took 2 hours to get 3 trees out. So hear are 2 pictures of my 53 week old trees from seed.

sweetlee tree #4, #3, #2; 2014, 1-14 photo sweetleetrees432A_zpsc725ac23.jpg
Sweetlee #4, #3, #2 Sowing between 8 FT to 10+ FT of linear growth

While out of the box I arrange approximately 120 plant starts of broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, collards, kale, spinach, I am now harvesting beet greens every day from the lower chamber.

nearly 100 starts of broccoli,  brussel sprout,  cabbage,, collards, kale, turnips, photo IMG_4923_zpsf5da96ef.jpg
16 OZ cups with hole punched below edge lip, hanging on nails in box side wall. I have room for 200 more with out the citrus or the starts interfering with each other.

This grow box work great in my basement and my wife never complains about mess.

Steve

Thanks Josh for the Youtube name compliment

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 21:54

o

I just received 3 rescue citrus trees. 2 Moro blood orange and one Nagami kumquat. All of them are seed grown. These are from the seed that Doug and I split up on 1-1-13. I kept the sweetlee tangerines and he kept the Moro blood oranges.. We divided the nagami seeds between us. All my nagami seeds failed and the tree you see of mine is from a 2 week older batch.
Nagami and Nagami photo IMG_4947_zps199f91c9.jpg
Seed grown nagami kumquat trees. My tree is 2 weeks older and they are equivalent to each other.

------------

The blood oranges are in need of "HEAVY RESCUE"

The 22 month old Meiwa kumquat tree that started it all.
KUMQUAT MEIWA 2014, 1-23 photo IMG_4944_zps162c7b8c.jpg
meiwa is grown from seed.

To see a mostly picture set of instruction dealing with problem and successes and a diary like description on growing citrus from seed click below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 21:50

o

*That* tree is 22 years old?! There must be a pic missing, mislabeled....?

Josh

o

Thanks Josh

I got it corrected to read 22 months

Steve

o

All my trees appear to have settled down for the remaining cold season. However my vegetable starts and figs have taken off.

Hardy chicago rooting in gallon food tin leafs out photo IMG_5069_zpsdf0f82ca.jpg
Hardy Chicago fig cutting rooted and is leafing out in my growth box.

The link below shows and explains the advantages and the how and why I grow from seed

Steve

Vegetable starts about 1/3 of total getting watered

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg101613462758.html

o

All 4 of my sweetlee tangerine trees dried out but #1 was not damaged. After I water them all #1 started putting out 8 new aggressive shoots and shows no signs of drought damage.
sweetlee #1 with new growth shoots photo sweetlee1withnewgrowthshoots_zps42a761f0.jpg
Seed grown sweetlee bush with 8 shoots

sweetlee #2, #3, #4 show significant damage and look real sick, however they are now sending out many new shoots up to 1/2 inches long. They are doing well.
using vacuum cleaner to pull excess water from the container photo IMG_5087_zps67d6e2db.jpg
Seed grown #2, #3, #4 at water time before leaves turned brown at the ends.

All my other plants were remove due to a spider mite infestation on the softer leaf plants. Fortunately the citrus trees were not touched.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:23

o

Looks good all but blocks or orange hope they bounce back. Steve you work so hard its amazing you have such good trees in your climate good luck.

o

Im trying my luck at seed grown kumquats not we will see if they sprout lol.

o

Tc

The seeds need to sprout and break soil fast or they rot in the soil. I place mine in a sealed container with 2 inches head room. and place in my heating duct so that the furnace keeps it around 80 F to 100 F They are up in 4 to 7 days.
I move them into their own cup and I place the seed part at the soils surface so that none of the stem touches the soil. This helps with damp-off -(rot around the collar)-. I also use a rooting powder on the stem and on the dirt around the stem. When the tree has some root length and you are able to pot it up; plant it so that a 1/2 inch of root is showing above the ground. This really help with damp-off prevention.
7 week old Nagami kumquat tree getting warm fresh oxogen to roots photo IMG_3618_1_zps57ab99ef.jpg
The blow dryer aerates the roots with warm air.

The seed grown kumquat grows at 1/4th the rate as a tangerine tree and will be very susceptible to damp-off for a year as apposed to 3 months.

the soil need to be servile and drain faster than an Indianapolis 500 race car. The root are about 10% the size of its top and as a result they grow. When you put it out for the summer use a bottomless container. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. Keep me posted on your tree with pics and check out my link below on my failures and successes

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:20

o

The seeds are turn green from the white they where. Think there abut to sprout will keep u posted have them in mini window sealfreen house with 95f heat mat under them.

o

Love ya Steve thanks advise here to u

o

My 14 month old nagami kumquat tree gets checked for root rot and found to be in excellent condition. I colorized the tree to make it more visible.

The tree is planted in a soil mix of 1 part crushed brick up to 3/4 inches. 3 parts sand up to 1/4 inch 1 part pine bark fines. 1 par good top soil. When I turned the tree upside down the soil drained from the roots and left the roots as in the picture. The soil was damp through out but not wet.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:15

o

Looks very healthy steve u amaze me the work u do

o

Tcamp Thanks for the compliment.

My kumquat trees have been acclimated to bright sunlight, first through 4 layers of glass down to one layer over 2 weeks and are now getting short bursts of direct sunlight. Since the kumquats have lost some leaves there are no pictures.

Sweetlee #1 was kicked out of the grow box and is in the window to get its first taste of filtered direct sunlight. It has grown quit a bit since going inside in October.

sweetlee #1 in 4.5 gallon bucket photo sweetlee1in45gallonbucket_zps690b2fad.jpg
Sweetlee when she came in for the winter.

-------------------------------------------------------------

sweetlee as she came out for sunlight.
sweetlee tangerine #1  getting aclimated to spring 2014 sun photo IMG_5228_zps2f61e215.jpg

sweetlee tangerine grown from seed that sprouted 1-7-13

The next 3 trees will come out in 2 weeks when I have finished acclimating the 4 trees now.

Steve

o

Your tangerine trees look healthy wow

o

Spider removes the stinkbug on my sweetlee tangerine tree.

Bye Bye

Steve

o

my 2 smaller Pt's are outside to prevent them from leafing out. The 3rd Poncirus is in the basement. It weighs in at 250 pounds and would be too hard to bring back in if the weater got to cold. I checked on it to day to move out and even though it is in a basement with a half hour of sunlight, it has started growing. I can't take it out for 6 weeks now. see pic below

My kumquats and sweetlee tangerine trees are now sun aclimated. I will now start on sweetlee #2. It is much larger and will take more care in the wind acclimation process.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:28

o

My meiwa is now 2 years old. Compare her to sweetlee #1 tangerine above at just over 1 year. The picture below shows meiwa kumquat tree in front of sweetlee 2 thru 4 and alone.

Steve

o

This is such an interesting post -- thanks for the updates! I'm going to continue to follow...!

o

At this time of the year my kumquat trees have lost there leaves, but the sweetlee tangerine tree are faring much better.

Oh but the figs 'hardy chicago' look better every day and have set many fruits.

photo IMG_5317_zps8dc31b89.jpg photo IMG_5316_zps1e2f235e.jpg photo IMG_5315_zpseabda8bf.jpg photo IMG_5318_zpsc2d8ed65.jpg
The top 3 pics show the many fruits. The bottom picture shows how I am Air layering new trees. The wide shallow branch has roots developing. I should be able to seperater it in 3 weeks.

As for the citrus and kumquats, They are now adapted to full sun and I am now working on leaf and twig strength ro handle wind storms.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://youtu.be/rPBp6lom4A8

o

Sweetlee tangerine tree is now outside in its new permanent place on the south side of my house. She will be enclosed all winter and open to the outside during the growing season. I placed her in a bottomless 30 inch by 30 inch box by 1 foot deep.

Sweetlee tangerine tree out side in 30 inch razed bed photo 5398045e-0908-4ca2-a3a1-c9d9a17476e5_zps0a85e284.jpg
Seed grown sweetlee tangerine tree in Its new permanent home.

Meiwa kumquat tree / bush in in a bottomless 18 in by 18 inch box 1 ft deep.

Meiwa kumquat mtree in razed bed on roof photo 54b03c77-3393-4ed6-9aaf-5e8c8f3e1eed_zps7058b618.jpg
Meiwa kumqut bush is also grown from seed.

Steve

o

Are u going to build your greenhouse over the now.
Trace

o

Trace

I will build the structure then glaze it in fall and un-glaze it in spring. This to will be going in the green house at the toe.

branch rooted in container then cut from tree trunk photo a6c74a02-72f7-454d-aefa-3854a4331d97_zps536d29c6.jpg
my hardy chicago kumquat tree. "FIG"

If you look up to the last fig entry, the last picture shows it still attached to the trunk. The branch cut can be seen inside the white circle.

photo IMG_5403_zpsffb64caa.jpg
In its new container.

Steve

o

This is an amazing thread! I have a 13 month old kumquat seedling that is only about 4-5 inches tall. I did severely restrict food and water to try to limit growth before winter though. My kumquat was also left outside on the porch until December where it survived several very light frosts. It didn't grow a millimeter for several months until it woke up last month and slowly started pushing new leaves. I think I over did the harsh treatment.

o

I have found a new home for sweetlee tangerine tree #1. I planted her from seed and she sprouted 1-7-13.

sweetlee tangerine #1  getting aclimated to spring 2014 sun photo IMG_5228_zps2f61e215.jpg
I bid you fair well and a good life to you. I know your new owner and she is an avid gardener with veggies and fruit trees.

Steve

o

My sweetlee tangerine trees have done very well after their rough start in spring. The tree below is the same tree in the 30 inch raised bed pictured above.

Steve

o

The other in ground sweetlee tangerine tree. All 4 of the sweetlee trees are from seed and 18 months old. A friend now owns one of them.

Steve

o

sweetlee is in a 55 gallon half drum.

Steve

o

I really admire your work. Thanks for posting all the updates and pictures.

o

They look nice hows the kumquats.
Trace

o

serge, Trace

Thanks for looking and the kind words. The kumquats look like "87695KJHGVVYJR65437865I" But are still alive.

o

Sorry about your kumquats Steve I hope they recover my kumquat seedling are growing fast and doing well I hope that stays true.
Trace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here