Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Is this Oro Blanco grapefruit ripe?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

Hello friends!

This fell off my tree and I have n clue if it is ripe and ready to eat? That is a quarter up next to it.

It is the color of a light green apple, huge and a bit soft, but I don't know how long to wait. Can someone please help me?

Thanks a bunch:-)

{{gwi:643527}}

Comments (22)

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Likely it is ripe. Can we see a picture of the inside?

I have 3 trees at my lemon farm; but I am not a big fan. Lots of OB fans here, who will give you better advice.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

John, that's the thing. My Dad has claimed it and doesn't want to open it before it's ripe.

He seems to think it needs to turn completely yellow before he cuts it. I am afraid it will be dry by then? Now, he seems to thin he knows this fruit well because he owned a farm with different grapefruits and oranges. I keep telling him that this one is of s different breed! I have learned not to argue with him since he thinks he is always right.

Hope you are well there in that nice warm climate. It was a whopping 34 today and very windy. Depressing. It was dark by 4

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

First thing about citrus... they do not get better/riper after they are harvested; it is as good as it will ever be now. Color is other issue; but color of the peel has NOTHING to do with the quality/taste of the fruit.

Oro Blanco is not a grapefruit; it is a hybrid of pomelo and grapefruit. I'm not sure that the OB WILL get yellow; many of the pomelos do not. Mine don't get yellow; but that is the tropics. Funny story... my Brother, who lived in Tampa, FL for 8 years once asked me to tell him what was wrong with his orange trees... he said they won't get ripe, but they are falling off the trees! Being a Californian, he of course expected them to get orange when they were ripe. The answer was, they were OVER ripe, but would never get orange.

In the next 10 days I will harvest the first 3,000 or more of my Meyers; they will go to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. In the last week we have gotten a mountain of favorable international publicity; the world is becoming excited about the "new" Meyer lemons.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

tell your dad to put it into a paper sack with a banana or apple for a few days or up to a week, like a mango. the ethelyne gas will help change the color. the Oro's i've eaten have very thick skin, so don't worry about it drying out. even the thin skinned grapefruits around here last several weeks w/o drying.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Hi Mike!! John is correct in that your lovely Oroblanco will not become more ripe, Mike. Nor will it turn yellow. So, I say, cut into it and enjoy! But, not true about citrus improving if they are left to sit for a bit. Pummelos will definitely improve if left to sit on the counter for a week or two after picking. In fact, it is recommended to do so with several of the pummelo varieties. Particularly Mato Buntan, Tahitian, and Sarawak, for example. My Oroblancos & Melogolds both get very yellow. But then, I do get a pretty good temperature difference through the winter, which will turn their skins yellow. If you live in an environment where you have little variance between daytime and nighttime temps, or differences between summer and winter temps, your citrus will not color up, but will remain green. This can happen artificially if you have your citrus indoors. So, what John's brother saw is very typical of more tropical areas. Same in Hawaii, Jamaica, and Central America. Let us know how it tastes!

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well. thank you Houston, John, and Patty!

I convinced my Dad to cut it up within a day or two after reading these fine post's and information. I really appreciate it. When he finally cuts it, I'll tell you how it tastes and snap a pic of the indside.

Again, thank you and enjoy your warm weather! It is 31 dgrees today with snow flakes in the air. The winds are howling at 40 miles per hour and it has been nearly dark and grey all day. Come on up for a visit:-)

Mike

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

I prefer to stay here in The City of Eternal Springtime; although it means occasional volcanic eruptions and today a 7.5 earthquake at the SW coast, near Mexico. Not so much damage as it was coastal plates, which cause more of a wave than a break. We have 18 active volcanoes here; so we have lots of earthquakes, averaging about 200 per year of 1 or better on the Richter scale. Sorta like a roller coaster ride; but you don't have to pay!!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now John, between a free rollor coaster ride, the warmth, and a field of beautiful trees, when can I come for a visist!!!? Oh, you are so lucky to be there:-)

We had one that was a 7.1 for a few seconds the other day for the first time ever, I thought my neighbors were to scream bloody murder. Lol. You should of seen then,aannd... me..:-)

11 years ago

Great, Mike, let us know how it tastes, and post a photo of how it looks inside! Sorry for such chilly weather, I hear you all are in for a Nor'Easter today and tomorrow, brrr! We're getting some rain ourselves in the next few days, which will be very welcome here. Sounds like it's time for a nice trip to Logee's to me, lol!

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Mike,

You and all the friends of Mayan Meyer Lemons are always welcome to visit Guatemala... AND be treated as VIPs.

John

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks John! I just may take you up on that if it gets any colder this year. Winters are getting harder and harder for me, now that my foot hurts with the cold!

Patty! Yum. I actually tasted it and it was seet with a subtle taste of grapefruit! Just yummy. Juicy. Thanks to everyone to telling me when to open it.
    It has no seeds and is although very rindy! I am talking about THICK rind throughout although juicy.lol
    I took pics and will post them soon.

Mike

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Mike,

The signature of Pomelos... and your OB is a pomelo hybrid... is the thick skin, the dryness of the fruit, and its sweetness. In most of the world they eat pomelos like candy.

My favorite, the Chandler, has rind sometimes an inch thick. Start with a fruit the size of a volleyball; after you peel it, you have a fruit the size of a large grapefruit.

11 years ago

I agree with John. Although I have fun with some of my more rare pummelos, the Chandler is absolutely delectable. I like it as much as the Cocktail, which is a pummelo hybrid. But, the Chandler is really just as sweet, it's juicy, BIG and it's very pretty pink inside (lyopene is the chemical responsible for the Chandler's color). The tree does get big, though, so if you decide to plant one, you'll need to make accommodations! Top 5 of my most favorite citrus trees.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well folks, here is a pic taken of the fruit. Yum:-0)

{{gwi:643528}}

{{gwi:643529}}

Patty, this is for you.

{{gwi:643530}}

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Man I am kicking myself in the pants now. Last winter my Oro produced a bunch of grapefruits, which I knew would drop. I was left with 2 nice sized fruits, and right when they were turning from green to yellow, the dropped off. I assumed that they would not ripen more, so I peeled 1 of the fruits, and "attempted" to eat it. Attempted, because it was under ripe, bitter and sour. I will wait the next time my tree produces.

My 'Star Ruby' fruits on the other hand, are turning yellow now. I did read in a book of mine that citrus farmers that live on or close to the equator end up with citrus that are green and not colored in the way we think they would. Very interesting. I remember the last 2 times I was in Florida, the oranges that I was told that were the best, were actually greenish yellow. I also had a few that were brought back from Puerto Rico, and they were also greenish orange.

Hopefully I will have some 'Star Ruby' grapefruits to enjoy in a month or so. I will try to get some pics posted when there ripe. My 'Improved Meyer Lemon' tree will be at least another a few months. Maybe January or February? We will see.

Andrew

• cayden
    11 years ago

Mike,

Your Schlumbergera is beautiful. Mine aren't blooming yet, but I am looking forward to it in a month or so!

Caid

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

mike, how was the flavor?

the one's i've bought at the chinese supermarket tasted like lemonade. very yummy.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Nice fruit, Mike!
    Are any of your Ponderosa Lemons ripening now?

Josh

• cinfobox
    9 years ago

I just went out and tried to pick the one and only oro grapefruit the tree produced this year. I have never picked one before. I expected it to come off easily but it doesn't seem to want to be picked. I pulled and pulled but it did not release. Does this means it is not ripe yet?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Not necessarily. I harvest my citrus with pruners.

Josh

• myermike_1micha
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Wow Josh..I should of thanked you back in 2012...Yikes...Thanks man and I am glad we are still friends after all these years..The Ponderosa lemons have ripened by now..lol Kidding
Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals