Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
limeinqueens

When to repot small lime?

limeinqueens
9 years ago

Howdy! In late october I bought a key lime from Logee's to grow in a window, the small 2.5" pot size. It was pretty much a 6" stalk with one fork an inch or two up from the base. Per the instructions Logee's provided I repotted it "one size up" -- into a 4" terra cotta pot.

I started out in soil that was 3 parts MG Citrus/Cactus soil+1 part perlite + 1 part reptibark. I now know that was neither the worst nor the best thing I could have done.

Basically, the plant's doing pretty good, gained some height and is growing some new leaves (I also ordered foliage pro and started with that yesterday at 1/2 tsp per gallon). I feel like the soil mix is "ok" but 5-1-1 would be better. I also want to maybe put it in a larger pot (~6" -- it still has to fit in my window) since it just doesn't seem like it has that much room to grow and I see so many people potting fairly small limes in HUGE containers. And if I do change the soil and/or pot, I'm not sure when is the right time to do it... Now? As soon as the days get longer? In the Spring before I move it outside?

It didn't suffer at all from its first repotting (beginners luck most likely!) but I would hate to damage it or change things unnecessarily. I'm a bit of a newb if you can't tell.

So...
Q1: would it benefit from a slightly larger size pot ?
Q2: Is there a best time to change soil and/or repot?
Q3: or should I just leave it alone - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz