Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Patty i have some questions.

MileHighGardener
9 years ago

Hey Patty i had some questions

1. How can i make sure my citrus tree blooms once spring arrives. (And no i don't mean force bloom, i will let the plant do its thing) would i introduce more heat, sunlight, fertilizer, to encourage it once the time arrives.

2. Do you think my canopy can support fruit? because if it can't then i will rip off the fruit so it can push out new growth.
(the tree is 3 years old by the way)

3. I'm doing 1/2 strength of dyna-gro should i keep it that way? and then go to full strength once spring arrives?

4. You told me earlier about Grafting issues on FD rootstock the tree is three years old do you see anything that may impact the tree's health

Im not being impatient i love to learn & just like to be prepared ahead of time.

Comments (15)

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

img 2

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

img 3

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Your tree is VERY small for 3 years; here is a photo of my 3 year old trees... okay, they are in tropical conditions, planted in the ground. I would not expect a tree of your size to produce fruit.,, more sun, more food, more time... have hope.

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John, nice trees you got going there. Considering yours are in a tropical area, I forgot to mention mine is grafted onto Flying Dragon which is known to grow slowwww. The nursery I purchased the tree from said it was approx 3 years old. So that could also explain.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Okay, John. Now, really. Nice trees, though, and your Macrophylla is serving you well down there.

Milehigh, I would pull your fruit off. Your tree's canopy is still a little young, yet. Your tree will blossom under ideal conditions - lots of sunshine, or full spectrum light, adequate fertilizer & light, and pest free. You're doing all that for your tree, so your tree should start pushing out blooms in late winter/early spring. We have certain trees blooming now out here, Valencias, mostly. Graft looks just fine. I'd take some sharp pruners, and prune off more of that rootstock that is sticking up. Trim it flush to the trunk. If you see any flush pushing out, feel free to provide more fertilizer. And, remember, I'm not an indoor container person, so feel free to allow some of our more expert indoor container citrus growers add their 2 cents.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 22:23

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, Will do! okay so i cut that piece of rootstock sticking up. Can you tell me what exactly that does/prevents? ill keep that in mind. I guess the perfect indoor container person would have to be Mike! and on the fertilizing i will continue what I'm doing. Wish me luck on those blooms in spring!!

Thanks Patty its always nice hearing/learning some thing new from you.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

It will help to prevent the rootstock from sprouting, or leaving an area for disease to set in. Good luck, I think you're doing a fine job, and your tree will eventually get there, not to worry.

Patty S.

• pip313
    9 years ago

You want fruit from your tree? You can't really belive that tree is big enough to support fruit can you? Forget that it's citrus, no fruit tree should try to support fruit at such small size. Also if that is 3 years old you need a new supplier. I prefer four winds like many people here. I have positive things to say about briteleaf also If four winds doesn't have the variety you want if your still aquiring trees.

The big ones are 3 year olds from four winds the small are 1 year olds. Always get 3 year if available. This pic has 8 citrus 2 avocado and 3 pepper so sorry that it's a little hard to tell where one plant ends and a neighbor begins.

• pip313
    9 years ago

Lisbon

• pip313
    9 years ago

Valencia

• pip313
    9 years ago

Moro

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

No need to be judgmental, Pip, though you do have some beautiful trees!

Mile,

While I agree that your tree is a bit small to support fruit, it should still make some fantastic-smelling flowers. If you really enjoy growing citrus, then yeah, I'd suggest getting trees from Four Winds. Until then, keep doing what you're doing. I'd prune that little nub off for cosmetic purposes. The only thing I'd suggest is more light if you can procure it.

-Tom

This post was edited by tom1328732 on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 0:01

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Pip they look the same. The canopy on mine was heavily pruned off most likely to save on shipping costs. But i can tell you it did have a much bigger canopy before it was shipped .

@Tom couldnt have said it better. I would rather let the tree grow back to its original size(even bigger) before setting fruit. But i sure will enjoy the blooms

• pip313
    9 years ago

I just wanted you to know your tree is way small compared to what you would get from a well known supplier. I've only had these for 6 months at most, they did not grow that much since they came.

Sorry for the judgmental tone but I don't like seeing people waste money so I wanted to stress that four winds does not prune that heavy in my experience. And when waiting for fruit you could save a year from the plant not trying to grow what it already did. That is the whole reason of buying a older tree isn't it?

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Pip No hard feelings dude. Anyways at the time I had slim to no knowledge about citrus or where to get quality citrus. I wish I had of known about fourwinds longggggg ago otherwise I would have purchased from them. And thats right that is why we buy three year old trees to avoid as much wait.

@Johnmerr I learned something new. Nice to know your a commerical citrus grower kudos for that man! Hope your doing well.

P.S my tree started pushing out new growth for the first time I will slighlty increase fertilizing dosage as suggested by patty