Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgde

First Major Harvest of Meyer Lemons

pgde
11 years ago

The link below shows my Meyer Lemon's very first significant harvest. I already have picked about 2 dozen and frozen juice! Perhaps next year I will try selling at a local farmer's market or roadside on the road to Saguaro NP East :-)

For those new people here, this forum is an excellent source of information and guidance. I want to thank all who have provided that!!! Now, if only I could get my blood orange tree to bloom and bear, I would be one happy camper :-)

Happy holidays everybody!

P.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Meyer Lemon Pix

Comments (13)

• krismast
    11 years ago

Wow! Congrats on the great looking lemons! Yum, I could think of a lot of things to make with those. In fact, tonight I'm whipping up some Meyer Lemon sugar cookie dough. I'm excited! :-)

Kristopher

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Beautiful crop. Don't know about AZ; but in California with a folding chair and a cardboard sign at the side of the road, you can sell Meyer lemons for $1 each and the first car to stop will likely buy most of what you have.

Best of luck; but I don't think one tree will pay your taxes, or water,or your entrepreneurial worth.

Plant more.

John

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Congratulations, pgde What beautiful pictures. I hope you love your Meyer lemonade as much as I do :-) You should try making limoncello from the peels. You could also check with some of your high end restaurants in the area, especially some of the smaller ones to see if they would like to buy your Meyer lemons. How many Meyer lemon trees do you have? If you have a few, and you're tending them organically, you might also be able to apply for organic status, and sell them as certified organic produce.

Patty S.

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Nice looking crop. :)

I've always felt that my Meyer Lemons are more valuable to me as a kitchen resource than they would be if sold for cash. What I save on salad dressings, beverages and desserts - not to mention the added nutrition and culinary quality - make them priceless. If life gives you lemons, celebrate.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

My slogan is, "If life gives you lemons, pray they are Meyers".

Last year at the Berlin show there was a famous chef... can't remember his name... who was so excited to see the Meyers we sent. He told the press, "When I can get Meyer lemons, I do not even consider any other lemon in my kitchens".

• MrClint
    11 years ago

{{gwi:644437}}

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Mr Clint; I just copied that photo to my marketing file.

John

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

MR Clint,

You have just gained the status of "Friend of Mayan Meyer Lemons"; that gives you full rights to being treated as a friend and VIP, when You come to Guatemala to visit.

Thanks again,

John

• MrClint
    11 years ago

{{gwi:644439}}

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Oops, fixed the typo:
    {{gwi:644441}}

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Thanks. No trips to South or Central America planned for me. Appreciate the offer. Here's my last meme for this thread, I promise:
    {{gwi:644444}}

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I have to say that so far, the Meyer lemon is also my favorite lemon variety. I have never tasted any lemon that tasted as good as my meyer lemons. I just wish I could grow them like you guys who live in warm climates can!

Andrew

• Ryan
    11 years ago

Andrew, you don't need a super warm climate to grow Meyers well. Zone 6 is just fine. I grow more then I know what to do with in zone 7. Meyers are very prolific and compared to other citrus, easy to get fruit.