Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Cory, HELP...Thank you...

meyermike_1micha
9 years ago

Cory, I will link you to a thread I started in the Orchid Forums..I had o bring this orchid in and don't know what to do to encourage blooms..I have not been able to get blooms since I have had it for 2 years but it was in full bloom when I bought it..

I have never tried the outdoors technique until this year and I am hoping that what I am doing is what it needs to initiate buds..Thanks a bunch

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg1118445721159.html?5978

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid help

Comments (4)

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Mike, I am not quite sure what your plant is? Is it maybe a Dendrobium lindleyi (aggrgregatum)? Thrysifolium? What color flowers did it have? Yellow and hangs like a bunch of grapes? Maybe pink? If so it will need a coolish dry rest for a couple of months. If you don't know the name could you describe the flowers or do you have a picture? When was it blooming? I'm pretty sure it is a dendrobium but not sure which by the picture. Some need a cool dry rest, but others need to stay moist. There are so many and I am not an expert knowing dendrobiums but I do grow some. Tell me a little more about it and maybe I can help.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Cory...So glad you saw this...

When I bought it it was two springs ago and it was in full bloom..I would say Febuary. I bought it from a local Orchid Grower from I think Con. so it was grown up north. I forgot her number and name.
    It has a huge plume of of white flowers that smell so sweet on a huge spray, almost like a grape cluster..
    I have looked up info on it but no one seems to be direct with initiating blooms...
    then name I provided at the Orchid Forum is what was on the tag she labeled..

I don't know if I should keep it outside as long as it is not exposed to sub freezing temps? Or stick it in the greenhouse now? Or the Porch? Or the sunny warm room upstairs in a sunny window that will get cold at night? In a humid environment? Not sure, so many choices..
    I can tell you whet I have done that has only caused great growth.

Kept it in the greenhouse up until this summer getting the kind of light my Cattalayas get and constant watering with temps by night into the low 60's sometimes 50's and temps warm by day. That didn't work for flowers.
    So I decided to grow it outside until the very cold weather set in and I don't know what to do from there.
    They grow in the Philippines very in higher altitudes where it can get pretty chilly.

It's called a 'ondendrochilum glumaccum'

Thanks a bunch my friend.

By the way, the winds are blowing over 50 miles per hour still and the chimes are going crazy outside...It dropped to 55 in my greenhouse even fully covered with one space heater. I can tell it's cold tonight, sheesh.
    I think at those temps my orchids should be ok?

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Mike, sorry I missed the name. I must have been reading too fast. There is directions in that information I sent you from our auction. It is one of the last 3 plants if I remember -- Dendrochilum glumaceum. I think the culture is similar to the yellow one you recently bloomed that you asked me to identify. Did you get yours from J& L Orchids in Ct.? If you can't find the sheets, let me know and I will resend them to you.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Removed duplicate post.

Cory

This post was edited by cory001 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 22:05