Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wellie76

Imminent Meyer Lemon Death

wellie76
9 years ago

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago about a Meyer Lemon that was having moisture and yellowing problems (post linked at bottom). I was very kindly given some suggestions as to how to go forward, including considering a soil mix that allowed for better drainage (The soil grew a layer of mold every time I watered [8-10 days apart).

I tried a bare-root repot with gritty mix last week to help with drainage, and... my poor little tree has gone from an overall fairly healthy-looking little bush to a Charlie Brown lemon tree. I've lost between half and two-thirds of the leaves just in the past three or four days (the remaining leaves are a less vibrant green than before, and are all pointing downward). I assume this is shock, but I'm worried that there might be something else I'm doing wrong, and that I might just have killed a very nice little tree.

Repot info: I screened components to the best of my ability,(am confident about the small-size screening, but large-particle sorting-out was done by manually picking out bits [a very cold hour spent on my front porch!], so if I'm being honest, the composition of particles might be slightly larger than ideal).

I took great care to keep the roots wet during the repot process. There were also a variety of opinions in the forum about light/fert after a repot, so I did give it foliage pro at 1/4 tsp per gallon on day of repot (about 8 days ago), and have been giving it a few hours of light from its lamp, but much less than a normal full 8-hour day. I have not watered since the repot, and wooden dowel in the mix is still damp.

My questions:
1) The remaining leaves are almost certain to drop off over the next few days. How long can a sad little stick of a tree survive without leaves? Is my little meyer doomed?

2) I recently discovered what I think are spider mites on the backsides of the leaves and on the stems (teeny tiny whitish spiders that leave tiny strands of webbing). How important it is that I try to address spider mites right now, given that any time I even touch a leaf, it falls off instantly? And could the mites have been the cause of the initial yellowing?

3) Any other immediate thoughts? It's got two little lemons, I assume I should pull those off and let it focus on leaves?

Thanks very much,
Liz

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post re: sad Meyer Lemon

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Pull the lemons off. You MUST treat for spider mites. If the leaves fall off a touch, they're goners to start with. So, treat, treat, treat. Water appropriately, fertilize appropriately and provide as much light as possible, including supplemental full spectrum grow lights if needed. And then hope for the best. And, you should really just post to your original thread, to keep the thread going, rather than start a new one :-)

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

the twigs are green and can produce enough food to keep the tree going for months if not a few years. There are some trees that get everything from their chlorophyll stems. your tree will come out next spring. Make sure she gets light so the stems can do their job.

Steve

• wellie76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear Patty and Steve:

Thanks for your responses and encouragement! I won't give up hope just yet...

I've pulled the lemons and ordered some Neem Oil. If knocking the rest of the leaves off doesn't matter, I might go through and try to get some mites off with a damp paper towel in the meantime...

And Patty, thanks for the posting tip! I'm still working out some of the posting mechanics :)

Cheers,
    Liz

9 years ago

Definitely do not give up hope. Citrus are amazingly resilient. The roots are trying to recover. The leaf drop is from a combination of damaged roots and transplant shock, completely expected, and the damage, frankly, was probably done prior to your repotting, even, and you're now just seeing the fruition of the damage. Stressed trees are targets for bug infestations, so treat, treat, treat. Spider mites are very persistent, and if you have other houseplants, you'll have to treat those as well. I would first off, take your plant outside if the day is warm enough and hose it off with a hard spray of water, to knock off as many spider mites as possible. If you can't go outside, take it into the shower and hose it down. Treat. Repeat this process at least 6 times, about once or twice a week. Continue to lightly fertilize until you see new flush. Once you see new flush, you can increase the strength to 1/2 strength. Provide more light if possible. And just for future reference - you want to try to pot your tree up higher in the pot, than so far down. Not really enough room for root growth having it so deeply potted.

Patty S.

• wellie76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Patty! (Sorry for delayed response, have a houseguest at the moment.)

My neem oil arrived today, so I'll give the little guy a rinse and some spraying this evening. Will continue to treat and monitor for little beasties, but am hopeful that this will help!

As for the re-pot... I recognize that it should be sitting a lot higher. This is my only houseplant, so I tried to order only as many gritty components as I would need for this pot, but vastly underestimated how much I'd be throwing away in the screening process and didn't have nearly as much as I thought I would. But the plant was doing badly enough that I wanted to do the repot immediately rather than wait 'til I was able to get more components together, so I went ahead. Rookie mistakes all around, I'm afraid! If the meyer makes it through this ordeal, I will endeavor to give him a much better repotting in the future.

Does the meyer normally produce new leaves year round? Or should I not expect to see any new growth until spring (assuming it lasts that long)?

Thanks again, and hope you're having a pleasant evening!
    Liz

9 years ago

Yes, Liz, if you provide your tree with enough light and nutrients, and the correct amount of water. You'll see more growth in spring, but citrus will grow all year 'round.

Patty S.

• wellie76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All right, here's hoping for the best! Thanks again, will report back with any good news :)