Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
meyers ravaged by deer

Posted by steverea (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 19:02

I've had my meyer's out in the yard for a couple of years now with no problems. Out of the blue, deer decided to eat all the leaves off of a third to half of the plant. This was two days before I was planning to move it into its over-wintering spot. My question is should I prune off the now bare branches or will leaves sprout out of them? Before this, the plant looked really healthy except for a few yellow leaves toward the bottom of the tree. I haven't feed it for at least a couple of months now. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: meyers ravaged by deer

Leave it alone, give it a weak fertilization and have hope.

FYI, I have goats at my Meyer lemon farm; and their all time favorite food is Meyer lemon trees. Deer and goats have very similar diet habits. My goats do not eat any of my 15 or 20 other citrus varieties... only the Meyers.

o

it'll grow back.

o

Don't prune now, it'll be fine (as John and Houston mentioned).

Consider yourself (and your Meyers) lucky. The deer thrashed my variegated Pink Eureka Lemon
with their antlers and broke off entire branches in the ugliest, rudest way possible...and yet
it, too, will re-grow and balance out again in time. Just a temporary set-back.

Josh

o

John, I wonder why they only eat the Meyers. I'll bet that you have a good idea....what is it?

o

I think the goats prefer the Meyers because the leaves are sweeter; it is the same as the rind of the Meyer fruit... it is not bitter like most citrus. At the Fruit Logistica fair in Berlin last year, everyone was peeling my Meyers and walking around sucking on the peels.

o

Unless you are having venison for dinner you'd better block the next attack.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here