Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where will my dragon be happy?

Posted by westgirl 8 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 19:05

Hi All,
I picked up a small Flying Dragon at the nursery today just because I love the way it looks. I know it's very hardy, but it will be living in a pot in Seattle and I'm wondering where it will be happiest during our wet winter? I have other citrus outside on the deck, outside in an unheated greenhouse, indoors in unheated rooms with natural light supplemented with CFLs, and also at my office, which is warmer and the only light is from large south-facing windows. Where do you think my "dragon" will be happiest? Thanks for any input.
Westgirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where will my dragon be happy?

There's no reason why you can pot it up and put it on your deck. Or, anywhere you'll enjoy looking at it, as Poncirus trifoliata is very ornamental. As with all citrus, make sure you have very well draining potting mix with your rainy climate. No need to keep it heated, it is very cold hardy. Unless you have threat of significant temps below 30 degrees for a prolonged time, you can keep it outside year 'round.

Patty S.

o

Thank you Patty, I potted it up yesterday in the pouring rain and brought it in, just because I love to look at it. It's in very well draining mix, so I'll let it live outside.
Thanks for your expertise!

o

You're very welcome, westgirl :-) Be sure the post some photos of your new Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon' citrus. Is it changing colors, yet?

Patty S.

o

I am amazed, at times that people produce for their enjoyment, what I would consider only as a rootstock; and not a particularly good rootstock at that.

There is so much beauty in the world that even what some might consider "ugly" is loved by some.

The world may not be the best place in the universe; but for us mortals, it is still first choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here