Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdevoe_gw

Earth-bermed Citrus Greenhouse

cdevoe
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share. I'm experimenting with an earth-bermed semi-underground hoop house that I built from April-Nov of this year. It is 50ft long and has two rubber-lined planter cells that are about 2ft deep. There is 4" of crushed stone at the bottom, 2" of sand, and then the rest is the following mixture: 2 parts topsoil from the site, 1 part composted wood chips, .5 part (sand/perlite/vermiculite), and .25 part (bat guano, coffee grounds, greensand, and composted chicken bedding). Water level is monitored and circulated with a bilge pump. The walkway is about 3 feet below grade level and the plastic is held down by a row of hay bales. The greenhouse is accessed via the door at the South end and the north end is a rammed-earth tire wall with soil behind it. This winter I have a Gold Nugget and Washington navel planted in it to see how it performs. They seem to like the soil mix so far and it is loaded with earthworms and red wiggles. Ambient temperature inside so far has stayed above freezing (outside low of 20) but it's supposed to get into the upper teens this week. My question is, how many dwarf citrus trees could I fit into a 50' planter cell? I was thinking 5 on each side. Would you squeeze more? Any other considerations? I may do some supplemental LED lights next winter since I already have a solar panel and battery. Thanks. More info at http://freevilleearthship.blogspot.com

Comments (9)

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Can't help you with the technical planting details - but did you do that far end of the greenhouse wall with glass bottles cemented together to make a "stained glass" effect? However that was done, it looks nice. What's it look like from the outside?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I'd do 8 to 10 in 50 ft. Doesn't matter if they grow together.

LED lights would be a last resort IMO. Too expensive for light provided. You'd do better reflecting all possible light into the canopy. Citrus don't need too much light in winter if temperatures are cool, 30s night, 50-60s day.

How will you heat?

• cdevoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zen...here's a picture from the outside...until I polish up the bottles in the spring. Thanks fruitnut - I might have to do little propane heaters on the really cold nights. I'm banking on the passive geothermal and thermal mass properties.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

I like your setup but think you'd better have a heater setup and ready to go during the first real cold spell. You'd need to be about 4-6ft deeper inside to get a real geothermal benefit. Even then the setups I've seen in western Nebraska have air circulating from 10ft underground.

You will have excellent light unless you live in a really cloudy climate.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I must say that you are a guiness! I love it. Can you build me one? I love the bottle effect..What ever possessed you to do something like that?
    It must be very nice in there.
    Does it carry humidity in there?
    How will you keep it warm?

Just awesome.

MIke

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I would max out at 8 each side. The tree closest to the south wall will get very little light For lighting daylight florescent lights will produce the needed light and add the beneficial heat desired by the plants. As creative as you are you'll be able to seporate the ballast and run wire clips to the bulb's tips and place the bulbs exactly in the best places. The best fixture will waste over 60% of its light by shining into the housing. Led's will be best as spot/flood lights that send 100% of the light onto the trees. This is done by the angle of the diodes that shine in one direction. The price on LED's will come down in 5 years and will be the only choice for cost effective growing. Meanwhile, use T-8's or CFL's.

My greenhouse is buried in between my garage wall on the south and my heated house on the north. The glazing leans from the garage roof to just under the 3rd floor. You will do a lot better than any traditional greenhouses that are on the market.

The picture below give an overview. On the inside i will put up a string of vanity strip light so I can us CFL flood lights to send all my light down on the trees and not scattering all over the place. In your GH you would do best using these strips fasten to the roof beams that are over the beds themselves, not the center length rib. Check the video of my internal setup. Most wil not, but some will apply to you

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8-nVd3r8vw

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Wow I'm with Mike I love this awesome.
    Trace

• Kevin Reilly
    6 years ago

Just found this thread. Pretty cool. Any updates on how the heating is going?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio