Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Problem?

Suzy11
10 years ago

Today I got a yellowish green leaf on my calamodin tree. Do you know what this means? A few days ago I harvested the fruit.. Since that day I have gotten heathy leaves that had fallen off. Figured that was from the clipping. Today I found one more small healthily leaf and this yellowish green leaf. I have been spritzing twice a day maybe a little too heavily. I tried to get every leaf. What do you think the leaf means? Is the tree okay? I have heard that citrus trees lose their leaves maybe three times a winter. Is this what's happening?

Comments (38)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Can't make a diagnosis with only one bright yellow leaf.
    Please post a picture of the plant.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Suzy, we need photos of your entire tree, and nice, crisp close ups of some of the leaves on the tree as well.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok I will send them in the morning. Pa time. She looks pretty healthy. I will get back to you.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I wouldn't stress about a leaf or a few; this leaf just looks like an older leaf that has been used up and discarded. The only possible indication is that the tree is a bit underfed.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Suzy Are you the one that had a tipped over tree and wanting to know what to do with it. If so click on the link below to see how I dealt with it with my two kumquat trees. go to the bottom of the thread.

I to am interested on the responses to this thread.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg1117324421798.html?6

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you John I guess I worry too much. No more fallen leaves. It has five oranges. My tree is in organic mechanics container soil and seems to love It. I was told to cut back on fertilizer in the winter. Next month it will be two months since I fertilized so I thought I will fertilize around the 10th. I get the same kind of yellow leaves on my rosebush sometimes. Do you know is that what it means? it means food?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve yes that's me my tree and I fell over in high winds and a thunderstorm. The tree Lost some soil and the trunk I is still a little bit loose. I'm going to get it fixed in spring. Thank you for the link I will watch it.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you still want to see the pictures?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Suzy,

Roses also need regular feeding; but sometimes the yellowing leaves can be black spot fungus. The yellow leaves will have distinct black spots; and if you have that, you must treat aggressively with fungicide. Black spot is a constant headache for me here in Guatemala; but the humidity is high and roses prefer dry climate. When I grew roses in California I used a wonderful product called Ortho systemic rose food; if you can find that, it is about all you need to put on roses.

10 years ago

Suzy, if you want us to take a look at your tree and see if anything might be amiss, then yes, we'd need photos of the whole tree, as well as close ups of the leaves. Up to you :-)

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know roses. Good to know. I joined the rose forum & they couldnt believe that I had citrus and was bringing the bush inside for the winter. I have been feeding it on the same schedule as the trees. Should I feed it more often? I used a bug spray on the bush once & I may have put it on too heavy because it turned very yellow over night so no more spray. I was wondering if I used less spray it would be ok. I have been spritzing that also. Once or twice every other day. Does that sound ok? I have had many problems with the bush over the past few months. It almost died 4 times. The leaves also turn whitish green sometimes. What does that mean? I pull them off. Probably shouldn't.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty sure i will send them tonight thanks. Things always happen at holiday time.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Suzy,

I know a little about roses; but I am far from expert. I think if you can find that Ortho systemic rose food and apply it according to the directions, you will be pleased at how easy rose care becomes.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay John, thank you for all your help. :) I really aprecIate it. You give great advice. I guess that you dont celebrate Thanksgiving there but happy Thanksgiving anyway.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are my photos.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another side

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some leaves

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More leaves

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One More. Last one

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

The tree looks great; don't change what you are doing.

Thanks for the holiday wishes; I don't normally celebrate Thanksgiving here, unless US family are visiting; it is not that I am not thankful; it is just that I don't much care for traditional Thanksgiving food, especially turkey, stuffing, and sweet potatoes.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you all here; stay warm.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Suzy I don't have a single leaf on any of my citrus trees that look that good

John So you don't like sweet potatoes, That was my second biggest crop from my roof top garden, second only to the 350 pounds of watermelons. Jubilee variety. I can understand the rest not liking. sorry no pictures

Steve

10 years ago

What John and Steve said :-) Your tree is just fine, just an old leaf, that's all :-) And John, Happy Thanksgiving anyway!

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

John Mary Christmas

Steve.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Steve,

Thanks, I will be in Copenhagen for Christmas.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Suzy...Is that scale on your leaves?

Look at the very last picture and the very top leaf right hand side..What are those bumps? If that is scale, they can cause leaves to yellow and fall..

Do have have any sap or shiny stuff on any of your leaves? It looks like some may be shiny because because of sap...It's hard to tell in the pic.

Can you retake a pic of the last one you posted so we can see if that is scale?

Have a wonderful day too

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay I will Mike thank you. Is tomorrow morning okay or should I take it Friday? Is sap drippy? most of the leaves on the tree are shinny. What causes scale? That causes sap? What do you do for it? Have a terrific Thanksgiving everyone!

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike I am sending the picture. I hope that you had a nice Thanksgiving if it's the wrong picture let me know. Have another problem too with another lower leaf. The one that fell off yesterday was green cracked and a little brittle. Could this have been an old leaf? Today another dark green healthy lower leaf fell off. When I split the leaves I have not been concentrating on the lower leaves so they maybe have not been getting enough water. Last night I started to sprit the lower leaves more and tree does look better So I am keeping my fingers crossed. Why am I still loosen waves? I don't want to lose another tree so soon. I am sending you some other pictures too. The pictures are of larger leaves that have started to curl a bit and leaves wth white spots. There is also a lower area of the tree that has no leaves. But last night The tree did look alittle bit better than it had the night before. I also watered it last night. Do you think that the leaf that it lost last night was because it needed water?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I have been spriting the bottom leaves and they do look better than They did before. So I guess the tree was thirsty. I don't know what was going on the Yellow leaf. I'm watching the tree, I hope nothing else goes wrong. I'lll let you know if it does. Thank you very very much for all of your help.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Suzy,
    when leaves get old, they turn yellow and fall off.
    Perfectly natural. If there are no pests on the tree, and if you are watering and fertilizing regularly, you shouldn't worry about such a healthy green tree :-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Suzy...Been on vacation...Sorry

As Josh says..No worries...Your tree looks great..
    But if you have scale, make sure you take care of that..Do you know what they look like?

Have a great day

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hey, Mike, welcome back! :-)

Josh

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi MerryChristmas! Sorry to bother you today but this morning I found a possible problem. I don't know if it's related to the yellow leaf that I had in the beginning or not. Lower leaves are still dropping at times and I am sprinting the lower leaves more than I was before. The lower leaves do look better than they did and There is less dropping. If you look under the lower branches they are not as full as summer is this normal for this time of year? This morning I found two more strange looking leaves you have any idea what they mean?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also was wondering if i fertilize enough in winter. My tree is in organic mechanic soil which has no Peat. I am fertilizing every two months. The tree was just fertilized December 10. Do you think that every two months sounds right?

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Every two months in winter should be enough, maybe even too much if the tree is not growing.

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Every two months in winter should be enough, maybe even too much if the tree is not growing.