Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew9623

Would this fixture provide enough light for my meyer lemon tree?

Andrew9623
9 years ago

Hey there,

My meyer lemon tree hasn't been getting enough light lately (some of the new leaves on it are bigger than my hand, I've read this means there is a lack of light and the tree is trying to compensate), so I've been toying with the idea of purchasing this light fixture from amazon (link below). Can anyone tell me if this would be a good choice? I'd be putting up the fixture in my basement where there are no windows, this would be the only source of light. If this isn't a good idea could anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: The fixture

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

4-foot long tubes would be much better.

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

Hi Andrew,

If this is going to be your only source of light, I would suggest something a bit more powerful than fluorescent lights, namely high intensity discharge (HID) lamps of some sort. The two varieties of HID lamps are metal halide (MH) and high pressure sodium (HPS).

HID lamps commonly come in different wattage ratings of 250, 400, 600, and 1000W. They generally produce the most light per watt and have a broader spectrum, although LEDs are getting close in terms of light output--they just cost a ton more.

I'll spare you the details of the differences between the two, but MH lights are bluish in color, while HPS are generally yellowish. Citrus will generally benefit more from MH, but both types are viable.

The HID lamps will require a ballast to pump the high voltages needed to maintain a plasma stream in the arc tubes. Fortunately, there are kits you can buy that include a housing fixture, two bulbs, and a ballast. I'd recommend them if you're just starting out, so I've attached one as an example. You can get lower wattages for less money.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow light kit from Amazon.ca

This post was edited by tom1328732 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 23:17

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Way over priced for what you will get. A twin 4 foot bulb T-8 fixture cost $12.97. Get 3 of these and surround the tree with them and you will do much better for under $50.

5 reflector clamp lamps with 23 watt daylight CfL's works great.

Check out the simple 4 by 4 light box powered by 12 CFL,s at 18 watts In the link and picture below

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/sunshine2013

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 23:37

• randy355
    9 years ago

It will cost a bit more but a reflector style LED puts out only the color light your plant needs they won't burn the plant and they are cheaper to use and there is not enough heat output to worry about. The new lights from China a 300 watt can be gotten for $160 - $200 and old style no reflectors about $100. Check out the web site and in the black area at the bottom of the page is a link to 420 magazine read what others are saying about the lamps. Then check the graphs and compare the two
    If you go with the T-5 shop home depot and get a 4ft fixture they also have 6500K bulbs if I remember right $60 for a 10 pk

Here is a link that might be useful: led lights

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

I guess it really goes down to how much light you really need. If you plan on adding more plants than just your Meyer, something more heavy duty would be a better choice--but if you plan on staying small, Steve's suggestion might be best, although making an enclosure might be a little bit of a headache.

Just keep in mind the luminous efficiency (lumens per watt) of each light source. Higher numbers mean you get more light and less heat.

100W incandescent: 17.5
    9-32W CFL's: 47-75
    T8 tube: 80-100
    MH: 65-115
    HPS: 85-150
    LED: 60-90 (might be slightly outdated now)

HID lamps (MH/HPS), as most light sources, become more efficient as you increase the wattage. So keep in mind that while you might get a lot more heat, you get a lot more light per watt.

-Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

One basement corner plus 2 flat surface wall fastened to make the other corner. One aluminium saucer sled with a ceramic fixture poking through a 2 inch hole in the center. screw through the saucer sled through the fixture hole and into ceiling fixture box. wire her up and screw in a 45 Watt CFL and hang from the ceiling by the saucer's edge and not the wire. This will last the rest of my life and I am not old. You will have to change the bulb about every 4 years. You could also do something similar to me as seen in the video

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc754Fo7IVI

• jrl1265
    9 years ago

Andrew, How big is your tree? Will it go out side this summer? I ask these questions because knowing the answers will help determine how much light you need. I have a Meyer lemon about two feet tall and two foot diameter and all I use is two 13 watt 6500 k cfl's. These lights get it through the winter and it even flowers and grows top growth. The bigger the tree the more light it will need. If you grow it indoors 365 then you will also need more light. Good growing, Jack

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting