Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bringing in lemon tree with leaf miners

Posted by olive51 Atlanta GA zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 20:34

I want to bring in my meyer lemon trees for the winter, and was planning to begin acclimating them to the indoors, when I discovered that they have leaf miners. I have sprayed twice with Spinosad-one week apart, and plan to spray several more times, also one week apart. At what point can I bring the lemon trees in and not have bugs in the house?

My trees are in large pots and each one is about 30" high (without the pot). I appreciate any advice that anyone can give. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bringing in lemon tree with leaf miners

• Posted by citrange South UK, z%3D8a%3F (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 8:42

"not have bugs in the house"
Why worry?
Live or dead, leafminer larvae stay in the citrus leaves.
Adults are really tiny moths that only live around citrus (and related) species, and aren't going to do any harm to anyone or anything else in your house.
You're probably bringing in more 'bugs' in the soil in the pots, and you will certainly have more dangerous things in your cupboards than a few remaining tiny moths flying near your potted citrus!

o
RE: bringing in lemon tree with leaf miners

And, they are very short-lived, and will not infest any other houseplants, olive. You're fine. Squish the little larvae in the leaves (if they're still alive), and no moths will hatch. You can also treat once with Bayer Advanced Citrus & Fruit Tree and you'll have nothing to worry about. If you prefer to treat with Spinosad, combine it with Volk oil, and begin your spraying in the spring, BEFORE you see pest pressure. Check with your local ag agent to know when to start. It is different in varying areas of our citrus growing areas in the United States. Prevention is the key with Spinosad and CLM.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here