Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireballsocal

Staggered bloom then fruit ripening on washington navel orange.

fireballsocal
9 years ago

I was wondering if this is fairly normal, weather dependent, or in fact rare.

My navel orange (I believe it's a Washington) set blossoms in early spring and set a slightly below average amount of fruit that turned out to be huge, grapefruit size. They are yellowing nicely right now and the first ripe windfall has just dropped.

About a month after the first bloom, a second bloom appeared and also set fruit. This set is smaller, tangerine size and still green, so I have both large yellow and small green fruits on the tree at the same time.

The tree is 25 years old and I have owned this house with the tree for 5 years now. It has reliably produced a large crop since purchasing the house.

Comments (10)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

What you have is not unusual; it is likely an indication that you may be being overly kind to your tree in terms of fertilizer. The "second" set will ripen later, depending on your climate and the absence of frost. I don't know about your fert. schedule; but in San Bernardino there are quite a few commercial groves around, where you could stop and ask them what is the fert schedule they follow. Growers are usually willing to share with you what they know/do, if you show a little interest. If you don't find anyone in San Berdu, look around Redlands...the climate and the soil are the same.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

And, it can be a result of odd weather, as well. Not that unusual, and navel oranges particularly like your climate, so, I'd say you actually have a very happy tree. I agree with John - check around for timing on fertilizing, and bet they say you've just got a "happy tree".

Patty S.

• fireballsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both. The tree doesn't get fertilized other than residual scotts turf supreme from the lawn twice a year. It's been such a reliable and heavy cropper that I didn't feel it needed anything. Have a good weekend!

9 years ago

fireball, I got interested in your comments and decided to go look outside at a a young Atwood Navel I have in a container out front. It is doing the same thing as your navel: I have 3 "rounds" of fruit that will be coming off this tree: a couple of large oranges that will ripen in a couple of months, about 15 golf ball sized oranges, and it is blooming again. So, 3 sets of fruits ripening all probably at different times. I blame this on three things: proclivity of navel oranges to do this, young age, and weird weather.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I'm with Patty!! ) lol

I have soem of the strangest weather, mines are all young, and Navels are quite productive!

Hoping you are well and all is well Paty)

MIke

• fireballsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Patty, you don't need a multi grafted tree to enjoy successive ripening fruit down there in Vista huh? I hope you see some fruit from this new batch of flowers. I have only the 2 rounds of fruit here. P.S. I love visiting your local steam engine museum, especially during the demo days.

9 years ago

Well, no :-) No multi grafted trees for me. Just an acre and about 100 citrus trees, many selected for their progressive fruit ripening times :-) I have fresh citrus all year 'round. And, have yet to make it to the museum, but I have heard great things about it . Maybe a trek there in my near future. And Mike, thank you for asking. My immediate family are doing well (hubby and kids), but we've had some tough family news, so we're pulling together to deal with it. I appreciate you asking, and hope you and your mom are well!

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 23:44

• fireballsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a manly masculine place, smelling of used oil and rusty iron. I highly suggest a visit if you enjoy junk yards, old folks homes, and erector sets. Possibly not the place if you desire order, reliability, cleanliness and/or quiet.

9 years ago

Well, you're talking to the girl who took Auto Shop instead of Home Ec in high school (I already knew how to sew and cook, and wanted to learn how to better work on my car). Sounds very fascinating to me!

Patty S.

• insteng
    9 years ago

I've had mine where they had ripe oranges, ones the size of golf balls and blooms all at the same time. My trees never get any kind of fertilizer or water other than what is put on the yard. I get more oranges off one tree than I can eat and give away.