Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Enjoying 'Juanita' tangerines this week at the Z 7/8 border

gonebananas_gw
15 years ago

It's still just bush size but with a dozen or so fruit. It's been outside for two or three years now, basically unprotected. Tonight it will be 18-21 degrees but this tangerine should be unfazed. I did pick half the fruit in case they freeze. And if it is slated to go below 15 degrees this winter I'll probably throw something over it and maybe add a lightbulb.

Comments (10)

• steve_nc_7b
    15 years ago

That's good to hear, as I'm bordering zone 8 myself. I have a Juanita that I've been growing in a pot for a couple of years and will be planting it out this spring. What temps did your tree see in the last few winters and did it have any damage? Last year I planted a Thomasville Citrangequat that came through with no damage at all. This past spring I planted Keraji mandarin and a Changsha (Lee Sharpe) it is the best tasting selection made by the LA citrus experimental station. Very good fruit and about half the seeds of normal Changsha, 10 - 15 seeds per fruit. Reported to be hardy to 5°F this may be our best bet for long term hardiness long term thus far. I'm going to work with it trying to produce seedless fruit.

• gonebananas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We haven't had a hard winter since it's been outside. Just upper teens. The 18 degrees or so it just went through (official temperature, not yard) probably almost equals what it has yet seen, but really early this year which has to be harder. It also has a tall pine near it, which helps.

The ag experiment station at Tifton, GA, is working on seedless Changsha. Tell me more about that Lee Sharp selection; I would like to find it. I've heard Keraji is good and I have a little one coming along in a pot in protection.

• mrtexas
    15 years ago

Not nearly as good as satsuma

• steve_nc_7b
    15 years ago

I heard that the experimental station in Tifton, GA was working on a seedless Changsha, I was unable to go to the citrus expo this year, but I went to the them the two years before. I got my Changsha Lee Sharp from Ned at last years expo. It's said to be the best changsha selection. I let a few fruit develop and I must agree. This spring I'm going to T- bud some on flying dragon. They say young trees don't poduce the best fruit, so I can't wait to see just how good it is when it matures a few years more. I tried Keraji at the expo in VB two years ago and loved it, it's different, the fruit is yellow, and has a slight lemon flavor to it. I also bought this one from Ned last year. It's really grown fast, already 6', but on it's own roots.

• frank_zone5_5
    15 years ago

Gone, how cold did it get last year?

Frank

• gonebananas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

16 degrees F at the nearby airport, and a few 21-22 degree mornings.

• gonebananas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll have to track down the Lee Sharp selection. Ned doesn't list on his website.

• scaper_austin
    15 years ago

Pardon my ignorance but who is Ned? Is he or she someone who may have the Lee Sharp Changsha? I'm interested in it as well.

Thanks

• krink
    15 years ago

I live in Houston. I planted a 2 foot tall Keraji about 16 years ago and it is now 25 feet tall and produces over 3000 fruit every year. The fruit are excellent quality and nearly seedless. Best $2 I ever spent.