Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon leaning to one side

Posted by avaskye Northern Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 21:12

I have a meyer lemon that I just potted. I've had it for only a few months. I noticed it leaning in the nursery pot, so when I potted it, I tried to angle it so it didn't lean. That didn't work. Is it okay to leave it or is there something I should be doing to fix this? I've never owned a citrus tree before and am clueless.

Also, the temp at night is in the 40's - should I bring it inside at night? Its in the low 80's and sunny during the day.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon leaning to one side

Post some photos and you will get better answers.

Meyers will survive outside to about 28 F/

o

Sorry. The one I uploaded must not have gone through.

o

ITS CUTE..

How come you don't plant it in the ground there?Boy if only I could with mine...

You could always prune it to encourage the plant to grow on the other side come the spring, if the trunk is straight up..

Mike

o

I have another that I'm planting in the ground; I want to experiment and see the growth difference.

How do I prune it or get the trunk straight?

It is cute, isn't it?

o

I would probably repot it so that the longest limb -- the one extending out to the left in the photo -- is more upright and becomes the leader. Then you'd need to stake that limb so that it is perfectly upright -- this might take several ties. And you may need to tighten the ties over several years, so you don't risk breaking the limb.

Then you can trim that longest limb back by about 6 inches or so. Looks like you'd lose some fruit this way, but it's an experiment, right?

This will give you a 'tree' or 'standard' form, if that is what you want. It should bush out from there.

Or if you want the shrubby 'bush' look, just trim back the longest limbs.

o

If it were my tree, I would just leave it be; it is a fine looking young Meyer. If you rotate the pot every few weeks, or when you think about it, it will eventually even out; and Meyers are more a bush than a traditional tree.

o

Thanks for the advice!

o

I too would just leave it alone.. My two kumquat trees did just fine and they had strong leans to one side. Kumquats are more of a bush to.

The inground meyer lemon will kick the potted tree's rear end around our planet 7 time in less than 1 second.. It is no contest

o

In a couple of months it will be in the 20's at night. Won't that kill the unground meyer?

o

It might. You may have to put a "tent" over it with a light bulb. If there is active growth you will need to protect it. Meyer lemons are small enough that you could design and fabricate a light weight cloth cover for it and a string of christmas lights would provide enough heat for it. I was not aware that citrus trees grow in florida as citrus greening forced them into extinction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here