Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarredo

Meyer Lemon flower buds but no leaves...

JarredO
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I purchased my first citrus tree from a local nursery (Meyer lemon, i think two years old comparing pics on the net) this summer. Before bringing it indoors for the winter... I tried adjusting the amount of light it received, but it lost most (maybe 80% ?) of the leaves anyway... After a week or two, the entire tree started to grow flower buds. So... basically my lemon tree is bare with a lot of flowers budding.

I read somewhere that citrus will just drop the flowers if it can't support fruiting yet. Is that the case? I remember growing plants with my family (sour plums and indoor cacti) where flowering (due to stress) on a weakened plant actually killed it. I'm not sure if I should just leave it be and let nature take care of itself or trim off the flowers...

I'd appreciate any thoughts! I'm really worried about my first citrus tree!

thanks.

Comments (10)

• JarredO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It lost much of its leaves after the second or third day being transferred indoors. Initially I had it by a well lit place by a southern facing window, but after it dropped the leaves, I transferred it to a partially lit area of the house. Leaf drop stopped then.

I re-potted with a miracle grow cactus/citrus soil, I water it once a week (actually tomorrow... and the bottom seems dry), and spray with a mist bottle a few times a day.

• JarredO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and a view from the top.

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

I'm having that problem too. No matter how many times I mist it, it just isn't happy. It did better last winter and it pulled through. My lime tree didn't and I'm afraid the lemon won't make it through this winter. I hope your plant pulls through.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Stop misting your trees. It does ZERO good for them, and may invite pests/pathogens.

That said, Jarred, your mix is very heavy, most likely compounding the problem with insufficient oxygen in the root-zone. I would elevate the pot in the saucer, and I'd also stuff a wick up through the drainage hole....which could help dry out the bottom of the mix.

Third, the tree looks to be planted fairly deep.

Josh

• JarredO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Josh,

I'll definitely try the wicking / elevating the pot to help with drainage and aeration.

Would you recommend re-potting in soil that's more porous?

Tamela,

Thanks, I hope your trees survive too!

This post was edited by JarredO on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 15:14

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I absolutely would recommend a more porous potting mix....but now is not the best time of year. If you can manage the tree through Winter, that would be best.

Josh

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Further, you need to change its focus from reproduction to growth. So please remove the buds, then move it into brighter light.

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

The potting mix (miracle grow cactus/citrus soil) does not need changing. It is loamy and fast draining. It is is also fortified with at least 6 mo. worth of fertilizer so I wouldn't add any more at this time. The leaf drop was probably from transplant shock and not the southern exposure. It will do better with 8 hours of daylight per day.

• starloc
    9 years ago

Warm the roots up, place the pot on a pet bed heater , then the root activity will increase

sunlight and cold roots will give leaf drop, warm the roots and it will not drop leaves

if you have a plant in a porous pot it will be colder than a non porous pot by about 10 degrees C (dependent on ambient humidity ) due to the evaporative cooling through the pot.