Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shamm9822

Lemon Tree Problems

shamm9822
11 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I have searched everywhere and I cannot find a solution to the problem my lemon tree has. I live in Highland California. It is about 15-18ft tall. We purchased the house 3 years ago and the last two years most of the fruit has been the size of a large grapefruit (some are dry internally) others are deformed. I have cut the tree back every year however, this year the tree is fruiting but the lemons are deformed, there is black inside of some of the lemons, the leaves are wilted in some areas. And only about 30% of the fruit is ok. The tree fruits so much that it pulls the branches almost to the ground. Does anyone have any ideas that could help or know the problem my tree is having? I would hate to lose the tree so I want to rectify this as quickly as possible.

Thank You,

Scot Hamm

Comments (18)

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a second picture. the lemons points on a lot of them have about 3-6 split points on the bottom

{{!gwi}}

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

inside the lemons, green stuff is growing connected to the seeds. the growing green stuff looks like this

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

that last pic could be the seeds growing.

as for the deformation, could be nutrient deficiencies, or a pest problem or a virus/disease.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, the photos are impossible to make out because they're taken in the dark. If you can post photos tomorrow, during the day, that would help. Cut a fruit in half as well, and snap a photo of the inside of the fruit. A nice close up of the leaves (can't really tell, but I suspect the leaf damage is due to Citrus Leafminer). Are you watering the tree regularly and also fertilizing it regularly, and if so, with what fertilizer and how often?

Patty S.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Perhaps the fruit is on the tree too long. That would explain the dryness, the black in the inside, and the sprouted seeds.

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will take pics tomorrow The tree is watered with the sprinklers every 2 days, I't is fertilized with best Iron Advantage every 30-60 days,the fruit is taken off as soon as it is yellow/ mostly yellow.

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more pics of the tree

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more pics of the tree

{{!gwi}}

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more pics of the tree

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more pics of the tree

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I threw away about 10 of them last week that had black stuff inside but I cut open 6 to get a pic and I am not seeing the blackness.

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

holes in some of the leaves

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Where do you live?

The holes in the final image aren't contributing to the fruit problems.

And looking at that same image, I wonder if the tree has citrus leafminer.

Is it possible the tree is a lime? You might try picking earlier than you have been.

• shamm9822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am 100% sure it is a lemon. the fruits are smaller this year however they are not as deformed as they have been in the past 2 years. I did not take this pic but this is what they have looked like in the past. Also 6 months ago a large branch comming off the trunk looked like it was deterating so I had to cut that section off the tree.

11 years ago

Sham, from what I see with the leaves, it looks like Citrus Leafminer. Very easy to diagnose this by look at the underside of the leaves. See if you have little squiggly tunnels in your leaves. This will not affect the health of a mature tree like yours, just make the leaves look ugly. You can treat for it if you like. Just search this forum for "Citrus Leafminer" or "CLM" and you'll see many messages about how to treat with a combination of Spinosad and Volk Oil, or by a systemtic application of Bayer Advanced Fruit Tree insecticide (Imidicloprid). Holes in the leaves can certainly be caused by snails, which can cause significantly damage citrus trees. Look for snails hiding on the undersides of your leaves, slimy snail trails on your leaves, snail poop, etc. Treat with Deadline at the base of your trees, and hand pick all the snails out of your trees. Bayer Advanced will also help to kill snails you can't reach or find.

Now, your fruit. Very interesting. This actually looks more like just some normal sporting to me. Lemons and citrons can do this. Not sure what the black stuff might be, besides mold, and caused by a break in the fruit skin at some time. But, to be safe, I would contact your local ag agent and see what they have to say. You can contact your local CDFA agent by going to their web site. It is worth having your tree looked at, just to make sure what we're seeing isn't damage from the Asian Citrus Psyllid, and possible infection from HLB via the psyllid.

Patty S.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

That sort of deformed citrus fruit is from citrus bud mite.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

A bonanza of citrus info from Univ of California

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/FRUIT/citrus.html

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus info from UC

11 years ago

Oh, Jean, you're so right. I haven't seen that in forever, but gosh, I should forget this, it's so distinctive. Looks like a good pest management program is in order for this little tree. I would also expect you're having CLM issues as well, with the curled and deformed leaves.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCIPM: Citrus Bud Mites