Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Buying Meyer Lemons at the store

MileHighGardener
9 years ago

Looks guys laugh at me all you want but ive never really used lemons of any kind. I usually always purchase bears lime in the stores. But i want to try out the Meyer variety where could i find this variety? I recently bought what i believe where true lemons because they had that big nipple appearance you can find those everywhere King Soopers, Safeway, Walmart, Costco.etc.. Ive also heard Meyers are seasonal. Does anyone know where i could find Meyers

Side Note im considering getting a Meyer Lemon Tree this Spring as well. They seem like a wonderful cultivator

Comments (9)

• serge94501
    9 years ago

Costco often has them in square plastic cartons.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Easier to find in California; less so in South Texas; difficult at best in other parts of the country. I strongly encourage your idea of getting your own tree; it is the best way to ensure you can always get the finest lemon in the world.
    Lots of very good and free advice on Meyers here on the forum.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

You could always order some fruit online, I saw 10 lb bags going for $40. That's a lot of money, I'm in the wrong business, I should move to Guatemala and start a mail order company and team up with johnmerr.... You're better off ordering a tree online and growing your own like john said.
    Evan

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Not sure how far you are from Colorado Springs, but they have a Trader Joe's there. At least here locally, Trader Joe's carries "Meyer' lemons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Find a Trader Joe's

• MileHighGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Johnmerr Yeah totally theres nothing like having the own pride of growing your own fresh fruits. Im definitely buying a Meyer from Four Winds.

@evdesert Im with you lets join John down south.

@mrclint I'm up north in Denver i did find some trader joes nearby

Now back on to getting a Meyer Lemon I'm looking forward to purchasing a 3 year old tree from four winds this spring whats the smallest pot it could be in while producing fruit? I'd like to keep it in a small pot I'm thinking 3 gallons would be acceptable what do you guys think?

Thanks Everyone!!
    Mile

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

I'd go 15 gallons for fruit, it'll give the roots some room to grow and still be manageable to bring back into your house in the fall with a 2 wheel dolly.
    Evan

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I agree with Evan, only because the Meyer becomes SO prolific. I would make sure you have room for an extensive root system, and LOT of fertilizing. Both Foliage Pro and most definitely use Osmocote Plus as well. You will be very happy with it, I love my Meyer lemons. I am actually making a gigantic (3 1/2 gal) pitcher of Meyer lemonade right now, in fact. We have Meyer lemonade in the fridge nearly all year 'round. It is the one thing my family members expect during our annual Fourth of July party (we have about 30-40 folks, and we go through gallons and gallons of the stuff). I make mine with Splenda, so it has about maybe 10 calories a glass, so it is pretty much "guilt-free". Just love it.

Patty S.

• jakkom
    9 years ago

I've three Meyers in the ground, and I've noticed the more I feed them the happier they are, LOL. I use citrus fertilizer and liquid iron.

At the grocery store last week they were asking $.99 per Meyer EACH. Regular lemons or limes were $.49/lb.

I have gallons of excess Meyers now that some family members have moved away. Been trading a good part of the excess with a small local pie shop - she gets organic Meyers, we get free (and wonderful) pies, any kind she makes!

Harvest is starting....we can hardly wait for the first good crop, so we can trade it for her coconut cream pie and blackbottom walnut pie. Yummmmmmm.................!

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

My little Brother used to trade fresh caught salmon to our neighbor for Pecan pies! Great trade for him; because he caught the salmon in the creek "for free".