Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bajajoaquin

Opinions of Fruit Salad Trees

bajajoaquin
10 years ago

I'm looking to put in a citrus tree in my coastal San Diego yard. Rather than be overrun by one variety of fruit, my wife suggested a fruit salad grafted tree. While looking for some resources, and available cultivars, I came across a thread here which suggested that the fruit salad trees don't work very well on citrus because they easily become unbalanced, and you end up with one cultivar dominating the growth and output.

Can anyone (multiple people, hopefully!) comment on this? What are the opinions out there of these trees?

Comments (5)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Get several true dwarf trees to your liking. Fruit salad trees take pruning care or you are right, one wins. They are more expensive and are more prone to a graft failure. If you have a 20 ft square or equivalent you can fit four dwarfs and prune to desired maximum size.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I think the fruit salad tree is more of a marketing gimmick than it is a good idea. I have never seen one that worked out well; I am sure there are successes; it is just that I have not seen one. Having said that, I make a difference for trees that for example are grafted to different varieties of oranges, different varieties of grapefruit, etc. That category does not include different varieties of lemons. That is only my opinion; but I think that is what you asked for.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I agree with Steve & John. You're better off buying all 4 varieties on dwarfing or semi-dwarfing rootstock, and prune to keep size down. Waste of time and money in our area, Juan. I would recommend buying from Four Winds, as you'll get most cultivars on Cuban Shaddock, as that is their preferred rootstock, and they will stay small for you.

Patty S.

• bajajoaquin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the opinions. I came across Four Winds in internet searching, and it's nice to see some feedback on them.

I prefer the idea of two trees. I'm up for doing regular maintenance work to help them thrive, but when I started reading that you really need to "keep on top of" fruit salad trees, that caused me to be suspicious that there was more effort than I wanted to put in.

There are a few neighbors here with winter-fruiting cultivars, and I've built a relationship with them (and bought one of those hinged-grasping pickers) so I would try to get trees that will produce in the spring and summer. There's already enough winter fruit around here!

Patty, I'm in Ocean Beach, so I don't get the heat you do in the summers. Any advice for me?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, depends on what you want for cultivars. I'm only 6 miles from the ocean, up in the hills with a direct ocean view (which equals direct ocean breezes). Very unusual micro-climate for our area. But, still, I will be warmer than OB, especially if you're close to the ocean. If you're wanting a grapefruit, I would suggest selected a grapefruit hybrid, such as Oroblanco or it's "sister", Melogold. Both are excellent, a little sweeter than, say, a Rio Red grapefruit, but neither need the heat units to sweeten up, that even Rio Red needs some of (but the least of all 100% grapefruit cultivars). Beyond that, the choices are limitless for you. So, if you're wanting two citrus trees, let us know what you're preferring - mandarins, oranges, grapefruits, lemons, etc. We can offer up some cultivar suggestions for you. Most all citrus ripen in the winter with a few exceptions (Valencia orange in late spring/early summer, Gold Nugget will hang on the tree until June, Pixie mandarin ripens from Apr-June).

Patty S.