Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
call_me_wizfire

Thought i did all my research, tree arrives 2morrow and im nevus

call_me_wizfire
13 years ago

ok, so i pretty much conaider myself a master gardener (not really). For a long time, ive wanted a lemon tree. After researching it, and browsing this forum 4 a while, i saw many people reccomend four winds growers... i bought a one. year meyer lemon. it arrives 2morow. im afraid im gonna kill the thing w/o givin it a chance

problem: after family desputes, i cannot keep my citrus in the only southern exposed room in my house, im am keeping it in a sunroom with an entire glass east wall and several skylights, one of witch itll b under, im guessing 6-8 hours of sun

also, can u guys provide general tips to keep it alive, including fertilizer mix ratio PLZ ty

Comments (6)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

Congrats, it wont be long before you have a dozen trees!

do you have materials on hand for the soil it will be in. Be sure you use a very well draining mix. Do you know about Al's 2 mixes, they are very good and the preferred choice around here. While it is inside it will not require as much water as when it is out. Over watering is the probably the top reason why indoor plants/trees die or suffer next to inadequate light. I use regular all purpose miracle grow and add a slow release pellet fertilizer that has minor nutrients in it. A lot of people use Foliage Pro, it has everything plants need in it. Once again it will not require as much fertilizer as when you get it outside. My trees all go into a greenhouse in winter so my fert schedule is similar to them being outside. Ill leave the dosage recommendation to one of the other more experienced indoor growers here.

sounds like the location it will be in will be fine, if a southern window is not available an eastern one is the next best. You can always add artificial lighting if you find it necessary. A good rule of thumb is the more light the tree gets the more important you keep the root system warm to avoid leaf drop.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Mksmth..

Very good information..Ditto on that..

Thank you

Mike..;-)

• call_me_wizfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ty, very reassuring, especially about the lighting. i got significantly less nervous wen i opened my tree and saw 9 itty bitty pink flower buds, and 2 large ones, the smalls i plan on cutting to encourage growth. I got all happy inside... i am well aware about trace elements, and lots of nitrogen needed, but wat would probably be the best ratio for nitrogen, potassium, and other thing it needs (slipped my mind)? for any1 considering ordering a citrua tree online, i reccomend four winds growers, great service fast, amd informational, im not going to worry about fertilizer for a while since i saw several slow release fertilizer pellets beneath the soil when i looked at the roots, no leaf drop, but 2 leaves crinkly... all and all what seems to be a very happy tree. im all ready considering my next foliagial adventure.

• briergardener_gw
    13 years ago

call_me_wizfire,
    I am planing to order the same tree that you just got from four winds growers and have couple questions.
    What soil did you use to pot it in? What size container do i need to prepare? Do i need to have a container in container to give some additional moisture in winter when indoor is dry?
    thanks

• call_me_wizfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i have it in a 6x 6 container. it is in a mix of all the soil they give u plus the shavings and scotts premium potting soil. btw, wen u first get it, keep it in the container it comes in, but water it untill watercomes out the bottom. i have it reating in a water tray, but the pot is on top of small rocks, put it in the new soil mix, but dont fertilize yet, it has plenty fertilizer alreay in it

• call_me_wizfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, so, week update of my tree... my camera is mad at me and not up to taking pics... ok:
    nice sized flower buds...im expecting some lemons in april
    bad news...my cat decided to nibble on the top of my tree,half severing the thin trunk, effectivly making the top 1/3 of my tree slowy die, today i cut it off, and because of my curiosity, put in some water to see if i can root it. my tree now looks like that nice example of the lemon bonsai on an earlier post i remember, it has a nice zigzag to it
    any1 have tips for rooting a cutting that does not involve going to the store?
    my tree is thriving, and all but one leaf has come back,( that last one is green, but one half is still rolled inward)
    my tree seems to be very happy, and the buds stopped growing enourmously quickly, which i hope means, "ok, i can call off my suicidal dash to make offspring before i kick the bucket" its now growing at a slower, more natural( i hope) rate