Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nagami Kumquat, barely any fruit

Posted by scuzzynutty CA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 1:10

Hi,
I have a Nagami Kumquat tree, I transplanted it into around a 15 gallon pot or so and it's growing OK i think. The tree isn't super young, the trunk is about the diameter a circle you make with your thumb and first finger.

This summer, there were tons of flowers, it flowered twice, with well over 100 flowers each time. But now, there are only about 10-12 actual fruit on it. I noticed too that in the summer, some of the branches died, they turned brown and were brittle. I cut those off.

Talked to a guy at the nursery today and he said I didn't fertilize it enough (I think i only did it twice with some of those Jobe's citrus fruit spikes. I just crushed a little and sprinkled it on top and then watered it).

I've seen smaller kumquat trees at the store with 50+ fruits on it.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Thanks a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nagami Kumquat, barely any fruit

Not enough nutrients, probably ;)

That's what I started thinking before I'd even finished the second paragraph of your post.

Secondly, I would ditch those Jobe's spikes...

Get a balanced fertilizer, preferably one with all the micro nutrients, as well.

What kind of potting mix are you using? That can have a major impact on health/fruiting.

Josh

o

Oh, those Jobe spikes are no good?

Do you have a brand of fertilizer you can recommend?

I have EXPERT All-Purpose plant food. 24-8-16. Is that considered fertilizer or just plant food?

For potting mix, I transplanted the tree into a bigger pot with the existing soil and if i can remember, I used a mix of cactus mix and miracle gro potting soil. However, the miracle gro i used was for indoor plants and it didn't have the small styrofoam balls. I realized i used the wrong soil after the fact :(

Any further advice?

o

The All-Purpose plant food sounds good.
fertilizers with a 3:1:2 ratio are very close to ideal.
The only thing to consider are the micro-nutrients - and mostly Calcium.
If you switch your potting mix to a bark-based soil, you can add Dolomitic Garden Lime
for the Calcium (and to raise the pH).

I wouldn't use either Cactus or Miracle Grow soil - both are mostly peat moss, which holds way
too much moisture to be of any use.

A good starting soil mix would be 5 parts bark, 1 part perlite, and 1 part Cactus soil -
with 1 tablespoon of Lime per gallon of soil.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here