Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_aber

Trouble with Yuzu plants

John_Aber
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with my Yuzu plants and am not sure what to do.

I planted a number of seeds at the end of January, about half of them took, and I've ended up with ten young plants that I've been growing inside my house.

Two have really thrived but about a month ago they started to get yellow spots on some of their leaves, mostly at the tip, and in some tips turned brown.

I put a houseplant fertilizer spike in each and started putting the plants outside figuring that they weren't getting enough sun next to the window.

They seemed to be doing better outside but the spots did not disappear.

My latest problem is with the plants wilting. I took the fertilizer spikes out thinking it was the wrong type and added fertilizer specific for citrus. I thoroughly watered the plants according to the instructions, making sure the water drained and wasn't sitting in the saucer.

I also moved the plants outside permanently, thinking they needed the sun. A friend gave me a small pop-up, portable "greenhouse" to use since I was worried about the shock of putting them outside full time.

The next day the plants were completely wilted, so clearly I over watered them. However the way the sun was hitting the greenhouse, it was very hot, over 80 degrees, and very dry, around 25%, inside it. I promptly moved them from the greenhouse and they had partially perked back up within a few hours.

The next day I changed the soil because I had read that soil with chemical wetting agents in it kept the roots far too wet. Indeed the soil was like mud down where the roots were. Though it didn't look like the plants were suffering from root rot.

I'm now using an organic potting soil that's a lot lighter and drains much better. I haven't re-fertilized because I wanted to see how they do in the new soil.

However the very top new leaf growth is still wilting and limp in the mornings when it's driest (I'm in Los Angeles). I watered them thoroughly when I changed the soil a couple days ago, so it can't be that the soil is too dry, at least I don't think.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to growing so I'm probably making alot of mistakes.

Comments (2)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

From what I can see your yuzu leaf and stem look great. When I transplanted all 4 of my Sweetlee tangerine trees, the new growth wilted. It took 2 weeks before the wilting stopped. I had to mist it and keep it out of the sun. Stop moving it from pot to pot and let it settle. Post a few more pictures getting the whole tree so we can get a better look.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Those fertilizer stakes are terrible.
    I've seen them cause burn on leaves many times. When the tip of a leaf dies back in that fashion, it typically means that the tips of roots are dying....from water, not enough water, too much fertilizer, et cetera.

Josh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH