Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

propagating with very thin cuttings

jbclem
9 years ago

A friend's tangerine tree (no name but very good fruit) is going to be pulled up any day because it's in the way of a retaining wall repair. I've been asked to help save it's memory by propagating some cuttings, but there was nothing on this old half dead tree but very thin young branches (and of course the structure branches/truck. It's been neglected for many years but still produces lots of sweet fruit.

The cuttings I took are 1/8" diameter and smaller, mostly smaller. I'm looking for a way to propagate them...I think it would be hard to take buds from these small branches, but is it possible? And how about cloning, is anyone here proficient at that?

I'd appreciate some advice about this.

Thanks, John

Comments (6)

• jbclem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another possibility would be growing from the seeds of this tangerine tree. But I don't know if it'll grow true to seed, and the only identifying feature I have (besides the fruit) is that the fruit are ripe this first week of December. It's location is Los Angeles area (West Hills).

The fruit is very orange colored, and has seeds but not a huge number of seeds. I count 13 seeds from two fruit that I just ate. The skin peels easily, but isn't particularly loose. The fruit I picked are 2-21/2" in diameter. Typical tangerine shape, and no neck.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Some mandarins grow true from seed, others such as Clemantine, do not.

I have grown citrandarins from cuttings, but I used larger diameter cuttings (closer to 3/16") and did them in summer using summer heat to my advantage.

I think it's worth a try to grow from cuttings though. Use rooting hormone, Put them in mostly perlite with some soil, bottom heat if you can. And keep them in baggies to retain humidity. Limit leaves to maybe two per cutting. If leaves are large, cut them in half. Cuttings can be 6 or 7 inches in length.

I do not know whether you could graft with such a small diameter bud.

• jbclem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rooting the cuttings is a good idea. I have bottom heat and grow lights, but I wonder if cuttings do better without light (should I shade them from the grow lights?). To save space on the heating pad, can I start 3 or 4 cuttings in one container(I'm using transparent 16-20 oz plastic cups) and then separate them later if necessary?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

More light is much better than low light for citrus cuttings as long as you can maintain high humidity.

You didn't say what type of grow lights you have.

Yes, you can do multiple cuttings per container and separate them next season.

Make sure you put the containers in large baggies to retain humidity. The baggies will reduce the amount of light they get, so place very close to fluorescents, or if you are using metal halide, maybe 3 to 4 feet away.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Spray for spider mites. All my cuttings were killed by spider mites after the buds swelled and had small leaves.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Why not try the 3 options, namely rooted cutting, from seed, and also T-budding; I have seen budding done successfully with very small buds.