Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clementine dwarf: Growth above or below rootstock?

Posted by Boozemonkey 6B Massachusetts (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 8:34

Hi everyone,

I recently posted about my trees being in distress along with their owner. My poor bald Clementine just put out some new growth but I don't know if its above the graft or below. If I had to take a guess I would say below. But I would like a second opinion 

Also should I trim off the black on the branches or leave it until new growth sprouts?

Is this a good sign that the plant is recovering from its bad care/transplant shock, or should I not get my hopes up yet :) ?
 photo Clementine_zps23e38a96.jpg
 photo WholeClementineTree_zpsbe915643.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clementine dwarf: Growth above or below rootstock?

That is most likely new growth from the scion, I would leave it be for now. Often, new growth will first start right at the graft line as you're seeing. And, any branches that are black are most likely dead, so you could prune that off. New growth would be an indication of recovery.

Patty S.

o

Update: New growth is showing some leaves now. Patty do you think its still above the scion? Plenty of suckers have been growing recently and I've pruned them off. The tree is still turning black from top to bottom.

photo Clementineupdate1_zps79c68dc6.jpg

o

Sure looks trifoliate to me.

Josh

o

Sorry Josh I'm a little lost being a newbie.

Are you saying the rootstock is trifoliate orange and this is a sucker I have to prune?

Or are you saying Clementine is trifoliate and this is good :)

I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Booze

o

Nope. Josh is correct - trifoliate rootstock (see the "leaves of three"). Rub it off with your thumb or finger.

Patty S.

o

Aw that's so defeating, that was the only new growth. im starting to wonder if the scion is dead and the rootstock is the only thing alive.

o

Yeah, sorry, man.
If that green upright stem is the scion, it still looks lively to me. There's a chance.
You might look for a replacement, as well.

Josh

o

Yup, the grafted part is still alive! See how green it is?

Remove any new growths with trifoliate leaves. That is the rootstock trying to grow.

I'll bet the top leafs out this spring. Probably with a new flush of flowers too!

Patience.

o

Well, I lost my first citrus tree :''( The scion is completely black now. I was hoping it was dormant but the black spread all over. The nursery I purchased the tree from had a 3 year warranty so I'll try and contact them and see what they say. I was so excited about my Clementine tree too :(

Thanks to all that tried to help me out. Sad part is my MH lights come in this Wednesday. I wonder if they would have saved the little tree.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 21:46

Every plant you kill: if you learn something, it's not a loss. You may have lost the plant, but gained some knowledge. You are starting with something difficult (indoor citrus without a heated glasshouse) so it may take several attempts to get it right.

o

Thanks Hoovb, Im not giving up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here