Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supermarket Lemon Share!

Posted by joeturbo26 7 NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 9:51

Hello all!

Just wanted to share my supermarket lemon seed progress! I germinated the first batch of organic supermarket lemon seeds around July/August--I am really impressed at the progress!

Here they are in the ziplock.
 photo null_zpsa8acef1e.jpg

Here they are today!
 photo IMG_2498_zpscc69757e.jpg
 photo IMG_2499_zpsb8792fe1.jpg

And here are some seedlings I started from a supermarket meyer lemon. These I started Sept/Oct.
 photo IMG_2500_zps1dc1cf94.jpg

Question on the first two... Should I remove any of the leaves or prune anything to help them grow more vigorously? Any suggestions to get them big enough to put them outside this summer?

All tips/advice is very much welcomed and appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supermarket Lemon Share!

more leaf area = greater overall growth, so I would not prune unless you have some specific goal in mind, such as a specific shape...

But I'm very impressed, those seedlings look great!

o

Are you planning on grafting onto rootstock? Citrus grown from seeds can take years to produce fruit. If they ever do flower.

o

No, do not remove any leaves or prune, yet. Not big enough, and your seedling need every single leaf in order to conduct photosynthesis. They'll be big enough to go outside in the summer.

Patty S.

o

Thanks all! citrus_BC no, I am not planning on grafting it. As for shape, I'd like to keep it in a relatively small container but nothing specific :)

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

fabaceae_native I am actually quite impressed myself!

o

Let them grow wild for the time being.
The taller seedlings should be fertilized consistently for maximum growth.

Josh

o

Lemons produce sooner than most citrus. The trees grow fast. Lemons are very cold sensitive and cant be grown in ground in your area so they need to stay in pots. You will have to read up on how to place these trees outside for the summer. I have had big problems going out. Bringing them back in for winter is much easier.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here