Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swede1234

Growing Lemon Trees from a seed

swede1234
9 years ago

For fun, I'm going to grow a lemon tree from seeds of a lemon I ate. Years ago, I had an orange tree that grew from discarded seed & it was nice, but never blossomed, though I had it for 4-5 years before it died.

This time, I came across a video that showed how to start & quicken germination by removing outer seed layer with razor, and put in ziploc bag until it starts to germinate (says abt 2-3 weeks, then to plant in pot, etc. THAT'S WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR... will check about New Years day to see if I should plant them in dirt yet...

My question to you... when I plant the seeds what should I do for container.. should I use my little starter APS containers that I use to start tomatoes in the winter, or should I plant them right away in larger pots. What about soil, fertilizer, etc..

Also, what is the likelihood that this will eventually give me a tree that blossoms, or even produces fruit.

Obviously, we are here in MN with snow and wind howling around us. And, I know we'll always have to keep the lemon tree indoors, & if successful, it'll eventually get too big for the pot. But I hope I can enjoy it until then.

Thanks, may all of you have a blessed Christmas, surrounded by loved ones and friends..
Gary

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH