Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfrank3810

orange tree that taste like lemons

kfrank3810
18 years ago

I have an orange tree in my yard in Northwest Florida. The oranges look and smell like oranges but when you pick and peel one it tastes like a lemon. I have a watering system that smells a little like sulfur. It is used only on the yard.

Any suggestions.

Comments (7)

• orangetreeluvr77
    18 years ago

I'm not sure, but I think your tree has somehow cross-pollinated. Are there any lemon trees around your orange tree?

• gatormomx2
    18 years ago

Do you know what variety of orange tre this is ? If it's a Valencia , the fruit does not ripen until May so it may taste sour because it's way to early . Lots of orange varieties ripen much later than early December .
    On the other hand , if a tree is sour naturally there's nothing you can do to change genetics . Just plant a new variety !

• jean001
    18 years ago

Cross pollination WON'T make the fruit sour.

• pecanman
    18 years ago

You may have a sour orange that is used for root stock.

• oceanmdx
    18 years ago

I had a tree like that, but instead of ripping it out, I grafted minneola tangelo to it - outstanding!

• oceanmdx
    18 years ago

Here's a photo of the sweet lemon that I "top-worked" by grafting Minneola tangelo:

{{gwi:648599}}

It has tangelos after only 2 years of grafting.

• orangetreeluvr77
    18 years ago

Well, my great grandmother has a lemon tree and an orange tree in her backyard, but the lemons were sweet and the oranges were sour. Just a thought...