Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citruscrazy2

Spider mites and fungal knats killing my citrus

citruscrazy2
9 years ago

Hello all,
I have several citrus trees. Meyer and eureka lemon, naval orange, owari, and key lime. I have tried several things. Reading different forms. The problem is they are both in the soil. Now my beautiful blooms have fallen off and most of my trees are dying back at an alarming rate. I have tried peroxide, neem oil mixed with a few drops of soap.... I don't know what commercially I can try now. I actually thought they were gone. My mom passed away right before thanksgiving. So I was away for a few days and they were really dry. I watered them, and out they came. I don't know what to do, can someone help? Can they be saved?

Comments (8)

• MileHighGardener
    9 years ago

Try buying a product called Gnatrol its kills fungus gnat larvae and should get rid of the problem. as for the spider mites I'm not sure someone should post soon on how to get rid of mites.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of you Mom passing Citruscrazy. So sorry. I hope you are coping well..This is not what you need..

Is there any way you can shoot a jet of water almost every day for a few days until they are gone. Make it hostile for them
    They should go away..If you can't do the water thing, then make sure to continually spray with the oils and soap water..MOST people are not consistent and that is why they keep coming back. You have to treat the undersides of the leaves, surrounding area and tops of the soil and leaves every 3-5 days at least two weeks..They will leave, especially if you add Rosemary oil into your solution..
    You have a small collecton, so it should be easy to at least control them
    If your trees are stressed or left to dry out like that, mits and other bugs are drawn to them because they are leaves are much sweeter than if they were well hydrated at all times..

I wish you the best..You will rid them if you use this method..Works every time for me.

Consistency is key)

MIke

• tom1328732
    9 years ago

What Mike said. I too used Rosemary extract when I was waging war against the abominations, and it does seem to make a difference. Consistency really is key. If you forget once in a while, it gives them the chance to explode in population again. The little monsters reproduce very fast.

.. so much that I think we should change the expression "reproduce faster than rabbits" to "reproduce faster than spider mites".

-Tom

• citruscrazy2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just received the gnatrol in the mail. I used it in all the plants in the house. Never realized how big of a problem these little buggers can be. Did anyone know how long it takes to kill them? I used all of the 60g package that came. Looks like I need another, lol. Well the trees recover? All of the 100s of new buds I got are gone. Had anyone won this battle and seen any new growth? I've gotten these trees through the summer and the transition into the house. I would hate to lose them now!!!!!!!!!!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

You may need more than one application of Gnatrol. And, you need to treat ALL plants in your home or you'll just perpetuate the pest. If you can get rid of the pests, your trees will recover.

Patty S.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

have you peeps already.. perhaps in another post ... discussed why these plants are in front of a fireplace ... how far the lights are from the plants ... the effect of bringing them indoors in a timely fashion [prior to any cold damage] ... and the effects of sitting in front of a cold chimney on an icy winter night in most of snow country ... [in my MI ... its the coldest place in the house ... even with the damper closed]

the reason i ask ... is that i am not sure FGnats kill anything as the title suggests... they may want to make you kill yourself.. but plants???

i am focusing on the title.. and the fact.. that there may be a multitude of reasons why these plants are suffering/stressed ..... beyond mites and gnats ...

it is not uncommon to have a tree brought indoors.. to lose all its leaves.. simply for that fact ... let alone somehow.. holding on to flowers ... etc ....

good luck

ken

ps: the number one reason for FGs ... is not letting your media dry enough ... and that is hard to do.. as it sheds leaves.. because your only inclination.. is to water it more.. thought the reason is the change of light level ... probably not media moisture ... a vicious circle... to say the least ...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

have you peeps already.. perhaps in another post ... discussed why these plants are in front of a fireplace ... how far the lights are from the plants ... the effect of bringing them indoors in a timely fashion [prior to any cold damage] ... and the effects of sitting in front of a cold chimney on an icy winter night in most of snow country ... [in my MI ... its the coldest place in the house ... even with the damper closed]

the reason i ask ... is that i am not sure FGnats kill anything as the title suggests... they may want to make you kill yourself.. but plants???

i am focusing on the title.. and the fact.. that there may be a multitude of reasons why these plants are suffering/stressed ..... beyond mites and gnats ...

it is not uncommon to have a tree brought indoors.. to lose all its leaves.. simply for that fact ... let alone somehow.. holding on to flowers ... etc ....

good luck

ken

ps: the number one reason for FGs ... is not letting your media dry enough ... and that is hard to do.. as it sheds leaves.. because your only inclination.. is to water it more.. thought the reason is the change of light level ... probably not media moisture ... a vicious circle... to say the least ...

• citruscrazy2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, to answer your question, the lighting source rigged I together, :-) had no support. And since I had some smaller trees, I decided to put them on the mantle so that all the trees could benefit. It never concurred there might be a draft. Thank you for your comments. However, I am for sure battling the mites and the fg. Does anyone know how many drops per gallon should be used for the rosemary? I just got it in the mail today. I have seen a small diminsh in the fg. But the tree that seems to have had the most, looks like they are multiplying instead of diminishing.