Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

Say hello to my little orange friend (Page Mandarin)

MrClint
10 years ago

Page Mandarins are coming in very juicy, full of color, and with a sweet tart finish that is really on point this year. Best year ever for my little tree.

Page is more like a small "lunchbox" orange than an easy to peel mandarin. I slice them up and eat them off the peel. And what an aromatic peel they have!

If you are looking for an excellent citrus fruit that harvests after Kishu and before Washington Navel, Page is a real winner.

{{gwi:648645}}

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Pretty tree, and lots of fruit. It is a VERY prolific producer, so for many, it's a good idea to thin so you can get larger fruits (like your tree has). It makes the best juice ever, just the right amount of sweet and sprite, with an interesting, complex flavor. Very nice tree, mrclint, glad someone else is singing the praises of the Page mandarin hybrid :-)

Patty S.

• kittybouquet
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous little tree. I would love to have one. I wonder if it would do well potted and inside during the winter.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Patty! I don't do any thinning, so the fruit grows to all different sizes. Page juice would be sublime.

Kitty, I can't speak to indoor citrus. They do so well in ground here that it never occurred to me to pot them up.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Page mandarin juice is truly something special. I should have tried it sooner. It will be interesting to see how the taste changes as the season progresses.

• bounty
    10 years ago

What rootstock is that on mrclint? I think I will have to find room for one, despite all the references persuading me not to because it produces small seedy fruit.

• tantanman
    10 years ago

mrclint:

Nice tree. Glad to see others singing the praises of Page mandarin hybrid. Most people don't know it is closer to a grapefruit than an orange (in its genes).

Page responds very well to fruit thinning as Patty mentioned for those suffering with small Page fruit.

When I moved from Houston, in 04, Page was the first tree I planted. The tree was on citrange rootstock. That Christmas eve night it started snowing about 9 PM and continued until about 4am. My Page and about 60 other potted citrus were covered with two layers of heavy duty frost blanket so I did not care. Next morning there were 8 inches of wet snow on the ground. I could not see where the frost blanket was! It looked like a big igloo out there.

I now have two more Page trees on standard trifoliate. One was supposed to be a Lee. The original Page was damaged in a bad freeze in the winter of 09/10. The bark split all the way past the graft line. But it is holding up better than I thought possible. My frost blanket ripped that night.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@bounty, the tree was tagged as a "Durling's genuine Dwarf Citrus Tree". According to this article, it should dwarf to 6'-8'. Someone like Patty S, might be able to wager a guess on the specific rootstock.

@tantanman, yes the grapefruit parentage does come through on the back end of the palate, I think that's what provides much of the "zing" to the mix. Page is the "anti-little-cutie" mandarin. While we're at it -- little cuties are sweet, but rather bland otherwise.

This post was edited by mrclint on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 21:28