Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjlopez04

Repot or Not? That is the Question

cjlopez04
9 years ago

My Myers are in a clay pot with Cactus Fast drain mix. I'm pondering to repot them with the 5-1-1 mix. The cactus mix is retaining way to much moisture and the leaves are yellowing and the plants have lost many leaves. One Meyer has lost half its leaves and the other about 30% of its leaves. Should I go ahead and repot and face more stress in the short term but have a mix that is more suitable or wait until warmer weather and for the trees to get healthier first? Thanks, see pics.

Comments (14)

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics

• starloc
    9 years ago

I would wait till warmer weather, then they will grow rapidly into the compost , you should always repot citrus when the roots are growing quickly.
    Warm the pot and roots up a bit to a root temperature something like 25C, and it will dry quicker, the roots will become more active as will the plant and use more water from the mix. once it drys out a bit leave it to the warm weather to repot

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

That type of yellowing I've always associated with a lack of Nitrogen (fertilizer).

The mix does look very heavy. In your zone, you could probably get away with a re-pot now, but it would be best to wait a couple months.

Josh

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read to wait to fertilize a young plant until the roots establish and to wait until Feb/March?

9 years ago

Where did you read that? It makes no sense.
    Plants in containers need a regular and adequate source of nutrients.

When was it last re-potted?
    We only say to wait 1 - 2 weeks to fertilize after potting. This allows the roots to establish better.

Josh

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I read that in this forum. It does seem odd

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I repotted with 5-1-1. How much time do I wait to start fertilizing? Also, how much of the top of the root ball be exposed if any?

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic2

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic2

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

cjlopez, that fertilizing schedule is for in-ground citrus. Not container citrus which are growing in a rather artificial environment, even if grown outdoors are year 'long. They need to receive nutrients all year 'round, as the potting medium will not provide enough nutrients. Top of the root ball should be even with the top of the soil. The pot you've used looks large enough. Most of the container citrus folks will use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer, as it provides the proper NPK ratio along with all the micronutrients, plus the N source is not urea-based. And, you can supplement with Osmocote Plus (MUST be the Plus formulation) to sustain nutrients for your plant.

Patty S.

• cjlopez04
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, thanks. How often and what dosage should be used with the Dynapro and Osmocote? Also, can they be used in conjunction or at separate intervals?

9 years ago

Like I wrote previously: "We only say to wait 1 - 2 weeks to fertilize after potting. This allows the roots to establish better."

Re-potting at this time of year could lead to significant yellowing and leaf-drop.

Foliage Pro and Osmocote can be used at the same time.

Follow the fertilizing instructions on the product label.

Josh

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

cjlopez, you can use 1/2 strength Foliage Pro with every watering. Apply the Osmocote Plus twice a year. If your trees are outside all year 'round, apply in February and August. If you start to see new flush, you can use full strength. Just take care with any drop in temps (especially this week, as we're under an arctic blast this week). During the winter, when temps are a little chilly, watch any new flush, so it doesn't get nipped. You might have to bring your tree into the garage overnight a night or two, if there is tender flush heading into temps that might dip below freezing.

Patty S.