Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tangerine leaves curled

Posted by kansastropic 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 12:10

I recently recieved a 'Clementine' tangerine tree by mail order. It came from the L. A. area. When it arrived it was crammed into a box very small and the Leaves are curled like tubes and they sag terribly. It had 3 fruits on it 1 ripe, 1 half ripe and one green. It had a rough shipping trip I'm sure of because it was exposed to freezing temperatures (we had a new record of -6F) but it had lost only <10% of it's leaves. It is currently in my plant room where I have several bananas growing. Are there any suggestions as to what I should do to get it to perk up. (My main concern is to have a healty plant right now fruiting is a secondary goal). I haven't grown many woody tender pereneal before does anyone have tips on growing tangerines in greenhouse conditions. (fertilizer, water, light. It will go outside for the summer if it makes it til we are out of frost danger. (May) Should I prune? I am only familiar with temperate fruits that go dormant in the winter and get a crop produced in 5-6 months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tangerine leaves curled

What you describe could be due to a lack of moisture or the arctic cold temps. How long have the leaves been curled? If you watered upon transplanting, then just let it be for a while--I would now refrain from watering until it shows some signs of improvement. Try to keep the air humid, provide bright but filtered sun now, and keep it away from indoor heating vents. It should reverse gears eventually.

o

njoasis thanks for the suggestions I have followed everthing you mentioned so far. Some of the leaves on the branches are turning brown and some are curled less tight. I'm familiar with bananas which loose all of their leaves when they fruit. Does citrus use energy from the leaves to produce fruit and grow it back? Also how fast does citrus grow I'm used to bananas which unroll and new leaf every week for me. My current environmental conditions are 78F and 68% relative humidity.

o

Have you checked for insects sucking the moisture out of your leaves yet?..
Use a magnifying glass if you havn't..."Always" do this as soon as a newbie arrives, before you introduce it to your other plants......

Did you slowly introduce it back into light?

Your temps and humidity levels sound ok...If you suspect that the leaves are curled due to dehydration, you could always put a plastic bag over it for a bit, poke a few holes, and create a very humid enviroment for it inside the bag till the leaves look ok again.

Add this with Dave's great advice and it should improve..

o

I didn't slowly introduce the tree to light but the leaves were curled when it arrived. I've checked all over for insects and found nothing. There has been slight improvement though the curls aren't as tight as they used to be and the soil is staying about as wet as a wrung out sponge. The soil doesn't seem to be much of 60F though. I may try the bag idea if I can find one to fit a 5' tree.

o

You mean to tell me that a 5 FOOT tree was shipped to you?

My goodness...What was the shipping cost???????????

I am happy for you...Sweet..But know I think I know why your tree has reacted so badly to shipping...I am not sure if this, but isn't it a harder of a shcok for an older tree of any kind to go through such an ordeal..I think the smaller, the easier to recover...I am not sure of that..

But it may take some time to recover, especially since at one point the tree and roots must of been well established at some point, before it got ripped from it's enviroment for such a mature specimen..I hope it all works out for you.:-)

I hope someone with knowledge of mature trees and how much they can take, shock wise, chimes in...I am only familar with smaller containerized grafted or cuttings of citrus..

Mike..:-)

o

Yes shipping was quite high (over $20) for the tree but as for good news the tree is fairly well recovered. I have innoculated the roots with mycorrhizae spores and there was about 30% leaf loss however where all the leaves were lost there are either young leaves emerged or new growth sprouting on most of the tree. I actually didn't use a bag on the tree I kept the relative humidity very high (between 50% and 90%) and the temperature never fell below 76F I watered once for the first 5 days and have begun to water as needed as well as fertilizing with an acid loving plant fertilizer. The fertilizer will be infrequent because the mycorrhizae spores will have sprouted and be connected to the roots. So now we can say an established tangerine tree can survive temperatures below the USDA hardiness rating. As proof of the temperature it was in the 20's and I was shoveling through 7" of snow when the UPS truck pulled up.

o

Gee Kansas thats a huge tree to get like that!
I would make sure of the rootstock and the exact strain
of Clem you have. The rootstock can tell what acid level
is best. The strain can tell you the cold hardiness the
leaves have. Rootstock also detrmines when the tree
breaks dormancy. Here in Tx I have heard the Algerian
is most cold hardy, it has another name I dont recall.
Should take 25 when dormant.
Larry

o

I purchased a Clementine. I had it for 2 years. No fruit yet. Leaves are curling. Not healthy looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here