Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orange tree taste

Posted by ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 12:18

I picked an orange from my tree and the taste is tart, the one i picked had no sign of green and i would think it was time to pick,did i pick it o early? i dont know the type of oranges it is producing but the tree is about 4 years old.When would i know when it is time to pick?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orange tree taste

Skin color is not necessarily an indication of ripeness. Citrus skin will color up when citrus are exposed to cooler night temps. If you go to the tropics, you'll see the citrus all stay green or pretty much green. If you tell us the variety of orange, we can tell you about when it should be ripe. Wide variance from now until summer for different types of oranges. We need to know what cultivar you're growing.

Patty S.

o

You say you don't know what variety it is; but does it have a navel? Most navels really don't get ripe until about Christmas time; and the really really best are those left on the tree until late February when they will begin to "re-green". Most commercial growers will harvest a bit earlier to meet the Christmas market.
The other issue is the young age of your tree; oranges often do not produce the best quality fruit until 7-10 years; so don't dispair.

o

as long as there is no danger of frost, leave the oranges on there longer. mine are ready around Christmas time. i have N33 navel and Blood Moro.

good website to help id your orange
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/oranges.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Citrus Home Fruit Production Oranges

o

I have Washington naval whatkind of taste do I expect?

Abe

o

Washington Navels should be very sweet and very juicy. They are the "eating out of hand" orange. My Cara Cara are not quite ripe, yet, so I would wait just a few more weeks, then check.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here