Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spicegirl_0101

Indoor Lemon Tree and Pollen / Allergies

spicegirl_0101
9 years ago

Hi,

We have two lemon trees that we keep in our sun room.

We open the sun room doors to let in heat and keep our house warm during the winter. But, when the lemon trees blossom we both get headaches and terrible allergy symptoms from the pollen coming into the house.

We tented some plastic over the one that is blooming right now, but that just isn't helping at all.

We are about to get rid of them, but thought I'd ask if anyone has an idea for a somewhat easy solution.

Thanks!
spicegirl

Comments (5)

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Allergy shots or Allegra. The pollen from citrus is very pungent and I too am allergic to it but I deal with it in the spring to have my own fresh fruit. It's a small price to pay but I'd imagine it's probably worse for you if you're getting headaches and there's also the fact that you can't escape it because it's in your house. The other alternative would be to move to a warmer climate so you can have your citrus in the ground or in pots year round outside.
    Evan

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

If you're in zone 10 you can put them outside year round.
    Evan

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I would be very surprised that you would be allergic to citrus pollen. Of course, it is possible to allergic to just about anything, but as pollen goes, it is not on the "high offenders" list. I have terrible seasonal allergies, I am allergic to many, many things (such as my 20 olive trees lining my ampitheater back hillside). But citrus just isn't the kind of pollen that would usually cause allergies. Usually pollen from insignificant, non-fragrant flowers Iike the olive flower, ragweed, many California natives, which are in bloom right now) tend to be the big offenders. I am miserable from about October through January if I don't stay on my allergy medication. What I suspect is that you are probably allergic to something else that is either blooming at the same time, or something in the house is causing increased allergies (mold is the biggie for those living in colder climates, and have to close up the house during the winter). I would get tested to see if you really are allergic to citrus. If you are, then as Evan has mentioned, use a histamine receptor site blocker such as loratadine (Claritin), or fexofenadine (Allergra). Use it routinely on a daily basis during blossom time, as it takes a while for it to start working. You have to stay on it during bloom time, don't stop the medication, or you're going to have issues. If you have break-through symptoms, then add an antihistamine such as chlorpheneramine (Clor-Trimeton) as well as a corticosteroid nasal spray (such as Flonase). If you feel like your sinuses are swollen (which is what is probably giving you a headache), if you can take ibuprofen, it will alleviate the inflammation that is causing the swelling, as well as treat the headache pain. Lastly, take a shower to remove any pollen you may have on you. And, as Evan mentioned, put the trees outside when they bloom. If you are in zone 10, you shouldn't have any troubles with temps dropping too low during the winter.

Patty S. (RN with life-long multiple allergies. Pretty much allergic to S. California)

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 0:10

• Jacqueline Christiano
    6 years ago

The person above is wrong. I am also very allergic to the pollen from my lemon tree. I am moving mine outside, but I am in Florida.

I have seen people post in my gardening group that you can wrap Christmas lights around the base to keep them warm outside.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

put them behind glass