Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

2013 Taste Testing Winners

Okay, so I've got some ripening citrus in my little orchard, and so far, here are the early results from a few of my trees:

Seedless Kishu - Thank you, Dr. Tracy Kahn SO much for recommending what I think is probably the finest tasting mandarin out there. My poor little Seedless Kishu was being swallowed up by a ginormous Russian Sage which I had to hack down/yank out as it grows by runners. Amazingly, it managed to do quite well despite being choked out, and has rewarded me with some of the best tasting mandarins on the planet. There is nothing to dislike about this mandarin, and it really should be the top "Cutie" mandarin for commercial growers - it is truly seedless, has a zipper skin (you need to cut them off like Satsumas), is sweet, juicy, intense and complex with just the right amount of "zing", not at all sub-acid or boring. It's only detracting quality is its size - smallish, but for me, it makes a perfect snack, and for someone wanting more, well, just eat 2 or 3! Absolutely a perfect snack size for a kid. And, this is my first crop, so they will only get better. I can only imagine.

Michal mandarin - brand new to my orchard just this year. The tree was in a 15 gal. container, very mature, and was loaded with fruit (plus had a huge canopy, so all the fruit got to stay). Typical alternate bearer, so I don't expect much fruit next season. From New Zealand I believe, most likely a cross between some Clementine and a Dancy. Looks like a clementine (and with it's alternate bearing tendencies), tastes to me more like a Dancy. More spritely, higher acid to sugar ratio than SK, less juicy than SK, has some seeds, but still very good, and a very good choice for our desert areas, so may be sweeter in hotter areas. Not bad, and worthy to stay in my orchard. Due to its heavy bearing, fruits are small, like the SK, but again, not a detractor for me, as I like my fruits on the smaller side because I'm on the smaller side :-) Sadly, it is bearing the same year as my Honey mandarin. But, off from one of my Clemenules, so that's good.

Clemenules - Of course the "gold standard" for a mandarin, and brings back memories of Christmas as child - I always got one in the toe of my Christmas stocking, and I was the best part of my stocking, even better than the candy :-) Again, does not disappoint. Just so sweet, juicy, and has that classic mandarin flavor I love so much. A cultivar that has warranted two spots in in my orchard for both taste and sentimentality reasons.

More reports to follow :-)

Patty S.

Comments (103)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't ever seen a jade turn red like this, either, Mike. And, we have just about every jade cultivar out here that the is. It is very pretty, especially with the Sedum rubrotinctum 'Pork & Beans' underneath it. I just love it. I've gotten several compliments from other succulent enthusiasts out here.

On a citrus note, went up to check my Smith Red Valencia, and still not ready. Probably more like January/February, which is more on time for us in S. California. One of my Moros, my most mature one, is absolutely loaded with fruit this year. It seems to sort of alternate bear, which is unusual for that cultivar, I don't know that Moro tends to alternate bear, which I find odd. It may be more of a response to having been a bit neglected before I bought the house. This was the tree that I thought was dead, and the previous owner apologized profusely, and couldn't remember what kind of citrus tree it was. So, it was quite the surprise 2 years ago, when I went to pick what I assumed was just a regular orange, and saw the dark red blush on the skin. I get enough cold temps in the winter to make the flesh super pigemented. When they're ready to pick, I'll take some photos of the fruits both whole and cut, as well as the juice from them. It is so dark it looks like grape juice. All those excellent anthocyanin anti-oxidants, yea!

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello Patty...And Merry Christmas if I don't get to come back by Christmas day:-)
    You are a special person to us here in Lowell Ma.

I wanted to share another miniature one of the sweetest fragrant Cattalaya I have ever grown...Look how it basks in the SNOW..

{{gwi:649449}}

{{gwi:68327}}

The real color....)

{{gwi:68328}}

I thought I would also take a pic of the the Lemon Meyer tree you have been wondering about...It could use much more sun at this time, but it's surviving! It's in here...

{{gwi:649454}}

{{gwi:649457}}

{{gwi:649460}}

You know..I have been thinking about getting a Moro Blood for the longest time...You just sealed the deal!

Yes, that Jade is amazing Patty and in your care, I just knew it! Thank you for sharing your trees, tastes and a plant that means a lot to me..You have a good heart!

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, Mike! And I am just tickled about the jade, it is just shaping up to be one very tremendous plant. I'm hoping to take cuttings this summer, and do some new starts. I have a few spots in my garden that I want to add this pretty jade to. Now, for more photos you requested. Here are my Chironja orangelo and the Ortanique tangor on my back patio, which a peek at the pool. Now, if you look in the background, on the back wall of the pool, in the flat red ceramic pot, you'll see a very large Aloe polyphylla growing very happily. These very, very rare Spiral aloes are really not suited for my climate, but for some reason, I can grow them very happily in pots on my patio. The older leaf tips are browning because I need to re-pot it in a much larger pot:
    {{gwi:649462}}

{{gwi:649464}}

{{gwi:649466}}

And you can just see one of the fruits on the Ortanique starting to color up. Won't be ready until late January:
    {{gwi:649468}}

And the Chironja fruits are almost ready:
    {{gwi:649470}}

Your greenhouse is doing well, and your lemon tree looks extremely happy. And, the Moro is a very unique fruit with one of the most unique flavors of all oranges. Quite interesting, you really can taste a berry flavor in it. Plus, it is so extremely healthy for you. All the benefits of a citrus, plus all those anthocyanins. If you grow it in the greenhouse, where it can get a little cool, it will color up for you very well.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Patti and Mike very impressive plants. I love the way they look

Mike Thanks for the hot topic link. I got some hornets buzzing.

• gregbradley
    10 years ago

Winners for me so far are Kishu, Page, and Cocktail. I took a bunch of fruit down to my parents at Thanksgiving and everyone raved about the Kishu. My brother and I both went back this weekend and first thing everyone said was "did you bring any more Kishus?".

My Cocktail GF were potted this spring and one produced 7 fruits. I tried one and they are fabulous but almost too sweet. Crazy amount of seed so mostly going to get juiced. I've found that half Cocktail and half my unknown 25 year old white GF make FANTASTIC juice. Almost 1 cup of juice out of each Cocktail, more than the much larger unknown white grapefruit. Here is a picture of each right before the juicer. Unknown white GF has a bit of red blush to pulp this year. Cocktail on bottom is almost gold by comparison. Hmm, I think I may have to buy a Standard Cocktail and find some more room in the backyard.......

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hah!! "What Greg said", lol!! Yes, Greg, Cocktail is that sweet. I love it to pieces. Exactly how I would want a grapefruit to taste! All the great, interesting grapefruit taste, but no bitterness (Mike, darling, are you listening??) And again, I send kudos out to Dr. Tracy Kahn for turning me onto the incredible Seedless Kishu. What an exceptional citrus cultivar. It really should be the number 1 "Cutie" out there. I'm not sure why commercial growers have not figured this out. They really should market it as the "Super Cutie" :-) Hmm, maybe I'll trademark that, but 200 acres in the Central Valley and go into the commercial citrus business. That, and if I could come up with an HLB-immune version of it. And the Cocktail makes as good a juice as the Page mandarin hybrid, just a very different flavor. I have combined Page, Moro and Cocktail together as a juice. Honestly? The Citrus Nirvana of juice. I will post pics of my Moros this year, so you can see how pigmented they get in my neck of the woods. They'll be ready at the end of January by the looks of the fruit.

And, your unknown white grapefruit is probably PInk Marsh. It is a bud sport of the Marsh (Marsh can bud sport just on its own), and this cultivar is almost seedless, and has a pink blush as you see. It is quite good, and in Upland, you may get just enough heat units to make it sweet. Very nice grapefruit.

Patty S.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Funny, when I first started looking for a kishu here locally a few years back, none of the nurserymen carried it because they were hard to sell --the fruit was considered too small. It's the only tree that I had to mail order from Four Winds. Now I see kishu everywhere.

Is Cocktail a tastier/sweeter fruit than Oro Blanco? I do a fruit swap with someone that has Oro Blanco and they are excellent. Best grapefruit I've had to date, but I admit to not being a huge grapefruit fan.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we can attribute that to the power of our various fruit forums as well as the CRFG's here in California, along with the word of mouth that flows through both of these venues. That's some powerful advertising :-)

And yes, Cocktail is sweeter than Oro Blanco. Both are excellent. I think Melogold is a bit sweeter and juicier than Oroblanco, and has thinner skin than it's "sister", Oroblanco. Because of the thinner skin, it isn't as appealing commercially, but for us dooryard orchardists, I think it's a better choice than Oroblanco, if you had to pick between the two. I love Cocktail, it is definitely an orange/grapefruit cross - more orange inside and sweeter, but still retains that grapefruit flavor.

Patty S.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Holy margaritaville Patty what a beautiful backyard!!! Like we weren't already jealous then you go show us all these beautiful pictures. Speaking of margaritas what time should all of us be at your New Year's Eve party?Patty I could so see this plant besides your pool I am not sure of the name but I think it is in the banana family , it has spectaclar red leaves and grows extremely fast .Ps you do have a lime tree?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful patio! There are several decorative banana plants out there, and yes, they grow very fast. Not sure of your cultivar, but they do very well here in my climate. And yes, I have two Bearss lime trees and one Seedless Mexican lime :-) Couldn't possibly live here and have margaritas without having a lime tree!

Patty S.

• blazeaglory
    10 years ago

Nice trees!

I think we all forget to take pictures at first because we are lost in the wonderful sweetness of that which is Citrus!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Blaze. I'm going to pick one of my Chironja's tomorrow morning, and give it a try for juice. That, and more Page mandarins. Yum!

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Patty! Was in a car accident...Sorry I have not been here..I have catching up to do...I'll be back..Just thinking of you and hope to enjoy the posts I missed out one:-)

Hoping you had a nice Holiday season!

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Patti What is your personal taste opinion of the meyer lemon

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

I personally like the taste of Improved Meyer lemons quite a bit. I will say, don't let them get overripe, or they can develop a bit of a "piney" taste, which can happen with other citrus cultivars as well. If not overripe, they are excellent, make exceptional lemonade, and I believe have their place in cooking as well. If I need to use something extra lemony, I will use my Santa Teresa Femminello lemons, as they're skin has more oil in it than other lemons (and I'm usually cooking with both the juice as well as the zest in a dish), but otherwise, I will interchange Meyer lemons for regular Eureka/Lisbon lemons frequently. Especially if I need a lot of lemon juice.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Thanks Patti:

I am looking for alternatives to kumquats for fresh winter fruit. My goal in citrus seams to be very different than every one else. My goal is fresh fruit through out the winter when my other trees are dormant. I keep coming up with kumquats as the perfect choice to provide me through out to early summer. I have eaten about 10 Meyer lemons. Some were very dry, others were just sour. Some required more calories to peal them than the fruit would return. All of what I have read states they are hard to grow. I figured if you like them perhaps a properly picked Meyer would be good out of hand.

I bought an Orlando tangelo. low acid low sugar EXCELLENT taste that beat Miniola hands down.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Thanks Patty...

• tantanman
    10 years ago

After I started a new thread, this thing lets me on Patty's discussion.

Patty: Notice that when you show us pictures of your fabulous yard, you suppress almost anyone else from doing the same. Who could follow on that?

I have a couple new fruit. this year. I had planted a tree to replace a Page that was severely damaged in the winter of 09-10. It was from Rio Grande Nursery. It was labeled Page but turned out to be Seedless Kyshu. Very disappointed. It tastes like two others I got rid of. I don't know anyone on the West Gulf Coast that has the same good result as they have with them elsewhere.

I also have first time fruit on Long Houang Kat Mandarin, but it is not ripe yet. It follows Tim Kat, and CCTC Kat in that order but is earlier than Kino Kuni Kat, the Japanese cousin. Seedless Kyshu is supposed to be from Kino Kuni but it is completely different. Kino Kuni is too late to grow annually here as it gets to be 100% alternate bearing. I let my last potted tree die for that. I am growing Long Houang only because it is very hard to obtain. I like CCTC best of all the Kats. The Kats are very cold hardy, like Satsumas, Changsha, and Keragi. They are easy to grow from seed.
    Lien Chau and I picked couple of the CCTC, on Tuesday, and they need just a few more days until being fully ripe.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeepers, Mike. I just found the post above, where you told me you were in a car accident, I am SO SORRY! Damn this weather. I hope you're okay, what happened? After all the issues last winter with your health, I was hoping for a clean slate this winter. Not to be :-( I just figured that you were busy with the holidays, which, you kind of were, but not in a good way. I hope you're feeling better, I hope nothing was broken, and hoping your (and the car) are healing up quickly. That makes it very hard to get around to take care of all your gorgeous citrus (and orchids, jades, and all the other really lovely plants you've got going, you have the most incredible green thumb!)

Tantaman, believe me, there are some really breathtaking gardens out my way, many of my San Diego Hort Society members put my garden to shame. I'm sorry you had a disappointing year. Especially with Seedless Kishu. It is just so outstanding here, really head's above everything else, except maybe Ponkan, which I would say is about on par with Seedless Kishu. But, please do report back on Lon Houang Kat, we don't have that available here in Calif that I'm aware of. Keep us posted on how things are doing for you.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oh no!

I am not letting this thread disappear just yet Patty! I love what you have had to share, the pics, and it's a wonderful read! I have missed so much since my accident and I appreciate your concern...Far and few between care on this forum, but you do:-)
    After all these years, I can tell you that this is not a forum to make good friends,but you and couple others are an exception:-)

I am much better..My arm was hurt pretty bad and it still hurts..It was almost a totaled. A truck hit me on my passenger side..I will e-mail you about more soon,.Thank you for the kind words.

I can't wait until I get both my new trees and then I will share with you.

Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry you've been out of the loop, Mike! And SO glad the accident wasn't worse, that we still have you around ;-) Sorry your arm was injured, that makes it so hard to just do basic things. Which arm, left or right? And, cannot wait for your new trees to arrive, be sure to snap some pics and post up a new thread, so we can follow your trees and your greenhouse!

Patty S.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Yes Mike you are totally 100% correct about Patty.Mike , I am kind of in shock that you feel the rest of us don't care ,so not true.It is very easy to get confused with people trying to get through their very busy lives and not caring l know been their done that.I for one do care and hope your back to 100% soon.

Patty I finally tasted one of my page mandarins delicious very spritie if that's a word , you can almost taste all of the parents.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Orangelime, glad you're enjoying your Page, and I think the term you're searching for might be, "sprightly"? And I agree, you can taste all the parentage in the fruit. The Valentine pummelo is also like that - you can clearly taste all 3 of the "parents" in that fruit as well.

Patty S.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Your right Patty sprightly .I could not for some reason think of that word and I thought about it for 10 minutes . English was never my major. Picture of the fruit rind is kind of thick.

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the grapefruit heritage (Duncan via the Minneola) with the Page. As it matures, the skin may end up not being quite as thick.

Patty S.

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Wow Mike:

Too bad about your accident and injury. I hope you have no chronic,lingering, or recurring pain from this. I know it happens so fast. That is so scary.

I am very lucky I dodged one like that about 3 months ago. It had just rained after a dry spell and a guy on a road from my left tried to stop at a stop sign and skidded across the opposing lane and into my lane before his truck stopped about 2 ft from me. I was over on the right shoulder but I had run out of room because there was a deep ditch on my right that would have made me roll if I tried to to move right some more. My Lien Chou was lucky too. She got hit like you did but it hit just to the rear enough where she was able to get healed up after about a dozen trips to the chiropractor. And the other driver never tried to stop but was in a small car not a truck. Her's was year before last.

Watch out folks, they are driving distracted.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Patty, Orange and Tatanman....You are all a blessing to this forum and thank you for your thoughts!

Patty, should I get a Page orange tree? I saw a video posted by a member here that seems to LOVE this one. Say's they peel very easy and are very sweet. What do you think? Is it worth my investment of should I consider one sweeter or better than the Page? Looking to buying a couple more this spring.
    Can you suggest a couple you think I might be very happy with, worth the space?
    I think you helped me before, but I can't find it.
    You are the best and thanks in advance.
    I hope you are much warmer than us here. This is one BRUTAL winter that only adds to the pain.

Tatanman...Thank you))
    Sheesh...It's scary how others drive...I get a bit nervous these days watching all around me.It was a truck that hot me head on the side. My arm is still killing me and back a mess. It will get better. I am so glad you guys did well.
    Thank goodness!

Orange..You are so kind..I hope you are enjoying that fruit! It looks amazing...

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I personally really love the Page mandarin hybrid, Mike. It makes really outstanding juice. Very rich-flavored, you can taste all of its genetics in the juice, with heavy, rich mandarin overtones. It is very unique, and it is a very, very prolific producer. Almost as prolific as the Improved Meyer. I think it is worth a spot if you can squeeze in another tree. The fruit is very sweet, not acidic, easy to eat out of hand, and just the best juice going. The other tree I would recommend for you, based on what you like, would be the Ponkan mandarin. Right up there with the Seedless Kishu and the Clemenules mandarins for the best tasting mandarins. Those three are almost a tie for 1st place in my personal opinion.

Sorry you're still hurting, and yes, the bitter cold weather just makes folks ache to the bones when you're trying to heal up. It has been very warm and very dry out here. We look to break a record this month - if we do not receive any rain by the end of January (and weather models are showing that we will not), this will be the first time in recorded history (back to the mid-1800's) that our area received precipitation in the month of January (which is our "rainy season"). This does not bode well at all for us. We have been declared a disaster zone by our governor, and most likely will be forced onto water rationing this summer.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Patty...Thank you as always! By your description and advice, those are my very next ones...You make these trees sound so delicious!

I really appreciate your expertise in all of this..I love this thread...

I can't believe that you have been soooo dry! I feel horrible about that. If I had a choice to have the weather I have now,,sub 0 or dry for months on end, I'd rather freeze..

What are you going to do if you don't get any rain? How will you water your trees or keep them alive? I'd be a bit nervous about that..So sorry you don't have the weather you are supopose to in winter to prepare your for your hot summers..This whole thing with so many states worries me..
    Then again our winters are messed up this year too. While you bask in too much sun and warmth and no rain, we bask in the oppiste..Half the country is divided and been for months.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it will depend on how much I can water. It is prohibitively expensive to try to drop a well here ($10,000 to $20,000), so I will have to just deal with any water rationing and hope I can keep my trees alive.

Patty S.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Mike it's so nice to see you back .I hope everything is going well. You know when I posted my first post the 2 people I really wanted to hear from first was yourself and Patty, and you guys did not fail me and not to forget Steve.Okay enough b romancing. Darn it has been cold here and it is has been continuous. I have to go in the greenhouse this weekend and water I am afraid all I will find is frozen orange juice. We have had 3 nights in a row of minus 20 F ridiculous and 2 more weeks of this .I am guessing the summer will be really hot , nature always has a way of balancing it self out. That goes for you to Patty if you guys didn't get your rain in January you will probably get it in February or March it's all about balance. Patty are Clemnules suppose to be seedy? Mine taste great but a lot of seeds. Could this be because it was placed beside a murcott honey?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Orange, yes, Clemenules can be seedy. Not sure it's strictly due to to being next to your Murcott, though. Just a quality of Clemenules.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

orangelime1

I'll say a little prayer for you.-- ta---da-da------ta---da-da-----ta---da-da---etc.

I hope things turn out well for you and your greenhouse'd trees. I am impressed and amazed at the dedication and work you all put into your citrus trees. I would have never imagined so many varieties could exist. I my self like bland or insipid fruits and vegetables with watermelon being the only exception. My trees are doing very well this year particularly the cutting of my Hardy Chicago kumquat. They will give fruit in a half year and are truly my biggest success story on tropical fruits.

Am I by any chance the Steve mentioned above

Thank Steve

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Yes Steve it was you I was thinking of. I hope your winter is going well. Your Chicago fig looks like it is going to be a winner. My fig is sound a sleep in the basement. Don't fresh figs taste fantastic. I could not believe how sweet fresh figs are, a real complex flavor they have. Actually Steve growing citrus in a green house is not to hard. The green house does all the work . I just have to water once every two weeks . I just hope the door isn't frozen , if it is I will have to get the blow torch out, I hate that. It is so gratifying to grow something that is only supposed to be grown in semi tropical and tropical places. I have a apple tree and a plum tree and I hardly ever pay attention to them and they produce very well. I guess that's just because they are very common here.I can now see the days are getting longer , the sky is still bright when I get home from work. I guess we will all be playing in our sand boxes soon enough.I was actually able to see inside the greenhouse when I got home from work , the sun today melted all the ice on the greenhouse and everything from standing outside looking in looked good.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Orange

I am glad to hear that something I had to say was of help to you. As for my fig cutting I will know in about a month whether it just put out foliage or both roots and leaves. They are incredibly easy to grow and are very productive. I agree on the figs complex flavors and that tropical plant has been a real winner for me.

I hope you got in easily. My guess is you heat your greenhouse. Mine will be unheated and is a lean-to against the south wall.when it is completed.. At 33 feet long and 6 feet wide I can escape frost down to 0 degrees F temp and windchill. I would have been plastered this year several times with -4 and windchill -30F.

wishing you well with your greenhouse and plants

Steve

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Wow Steve thats great you are going to install a lean to greenhouse. You are really going to love it. You wil have Florida , California , Texas , etc right in your back yard.Dont forget to put a nice palm tree in there for that tropical feel..We are thinking of getting a lean one day.Steve actually we have had a wind chill of minus 40 for 4 days now . Were supposed to get a break this weekend 22 F. WOW. With all this cold weather I have seemed to have caught a bad cold, I think I will probably be flat on my back all weekend.Steve are you going to leave your patio doors open to heat your greenhouse? Steve you are going to love it , it will make your life so much easier.You won't need all those lights anymore. Even on cloudy days they seem to get enough light in there. You right about the drinking part, i am going to make a nice hotty totty for my cold gin lemon and honey I hope this helps my cold.

Brian

• tantanman
    10 years ago

I cut a red tinged Jaffa orange yesterday. My little tree is in a pot. It is really good on a cold year, then it acts like a blood orange. It only had one fruit. That one was even darker red than my Sanguinelli was. I had Lien Chau take a photo of it and a Torroco side beside. The Torroco looks like any regular orange. It tasted very good but is not better than the red naval. No seeds in this one fruit.

Brian: Stay on your medicine and get well.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tantaman, I have some Smith Red Valencia for the first time this year. Here's a photo of the inside, almost as dark as my Moro's are, which are almost black (they're not quite ready, yet, so no comparison available, yet):
    {{gwi:649474}}

And, I just have to share a photo of my Bouquet de Fleurs sour orange tree. I have this, a Seville and a Bergomot, all for making marmalade. I've kept them in pots to keep the size down (don't need a gazillion sour oranges). This particular cultivar is known for its intensely fragranced flowers, so Mike, you might consider one, just for it's incredible fragrance, as well as its most beautiful shape and leaves. It is very different than any other citrus tree I have. Very unique looking, I just love it's shape and leaves:

{{gwi:649476}}

{{gwi:649478}}

{{gwi:649480}}

Just a beautiful specimen, and it will have these huge, double, frilly ruffly flowers that smell just intensely sweet. The scent wafts into the house when it's warm enough to open my kitchen slider, as the trees are just outside the door.

Patty S.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

Wow that is a really nice [BdF] plant!

I wanted to update / correct an earlier post. My Smith Reds have continued to darken... they were just a bit lighter (in mid-December] than your pic above, Patty. The flavor was acceptable for juice / cocktails then. I pulled the rest of the fruit last week, but failed to take pictures - darn it! Just a bit darker than your pic and sweeter than in December.
    Two lessons for me here: 1) they are not fully ripe in December here up north... and 2) the microclimate location (and i suppose sugar content) allowed the fruit to endure 10 nights with dips to the mid 20's; several to 22, and one to 19F - without damage.

BTW: I pulled all the fruit last week because i decided to move the tree a couple of feet. [!] It was rather easy and damage free; it was only in the ground since September.

-George

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Patty...Now you did it! I have three on my list come the spring..How well you know me)

I have never seen such a beautiful color fruit like that...I have never...Please let us know how it tastes...You know, I am about to order a Moro or this one depending on what you think./. Goodness, it looks sooooooo sunny there! Like almost too much sun..I think you may be starving for rain and if so, I pray you get some relief..

That is one beautiful tree and I will for sure be getting one of those! I have yet to take a photo of my tree in ground for you and receive my two new trees that I know you will love..

Thank you for your updates and another look at those awesome trees at the top of this thread!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

All my trees are grown from seed or cuttings and only 2 have fruited. While I have no pictures of my Red Haven tangerine, which produced very sweet low acid complex flavored edible rhine fruit, I do have a picture of my hardy chicago kumquat tree at 11 months old. I have to say these kumquats, while not as sweet just touched the taste in a pleasant indescribable way. Their skins were very tasty.

{{gwi:612443}}
    Hardy chicago kumquat at 10 months

{{gwi:587126}}
    Older H.C. from ground. 2 years old

The red haven tangerine has to be sprayed for tangerine leaf curl and tangerine tree borer.

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, if I had to pick between Red Smith Valencia and Moro, I'd go with Moro because of its very unusual flavor, and its very deep pigmentation. It really does have a berry after taste, I like it very much.'

Steve, do you mean Red Haven peach? Mandarins don't have a leaf curl disease that I am aware or or a borer??

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

It is a red haven peach and they do well from seed. They have an extensive problems with a borer that bores so deep it will topple a tree. The hardy chicago will probably be my favorite then its close between my peach and kumquat if the kumquat ever fruits on it own roots. All attempts to graft it have fail with not even a remotely close. Sorry I don't have a citrus favorite yet, but this column has been interesting to me

Steve

Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve, you don't have a Redhaven peach if it is from seed. You have some hybrid of Redhaven. It may still give you good peaches, though. Peaches, nectarines and apricots will often carry the good traits of their parents in the hybrid.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I got my seed from a red haven orchard. It is a hybrid of a red haven and a red haven. Peach trees come almost true from seed this way. It is one of the few fruit trees that come up and produce great from seed.

My meiwa kumquat at 22 months is looking nice but petite. I left a link to see the most recent pic of meiwa.
    Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5967653232333283409/5972084004664102114?banner=pwa&pid=5972084004664102114&oid=111099372377958308731

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe. Maybe not, Steve. Bees travel many miles. Are your chances better my selecting a seed from a block of same species trees? Yes. Is it perfect science? No. You still have a chance of having a hybrid. As I mentioned in my previous post, peaches, apricots and nectarine seedlings as hybrids will often be very good. And, sometimes better than either parent. Unlike other fruit trees (pomes for example, and monoembryonic citrus), whose hybrids are often less spectacular than their parents. And all three will produce strong seedlings, that can grow very quickly. Now, the downside to any seedling will be its roots. If you have unusual soil issues, this can be a detractor, as you do not gain the benefit of a stronger, better rootstock, more suited to your specific soil issues (if you have them). But, they are still fun to grow from seed. If you do not have specific soil issues (heavy clay, poorly draining, sandy, nematodes, pathogens, etc.), then seedling stone fruits are fun to experiment with, as they will produce very quickly, as opposed to citrus seedlings.

Patty S.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow!! This is an amazing thread...I'm SO glad I found it!! Beautiful and very healthy plants everyone...

Patty, you have an amazing Citrus Orchard well on your way...best of luck! I cannot get over the amount of fruits you have on such small/young trees!! What an amazing property you have.

Hey Mike, nice to see you see here :o)

Thanks for the all great pictures!!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

My goodness Patty..I had to scroll 5 pages to find this thread again..Where does time go? Sheesh..

Thank you Pug..I love seeing you here!
    Thank you for your nice comments about our plants..Yours don't look to shabby myself I must say!

Patty..I have a question for you while at the same time I hope you are feeling good these days, well a couple..
    Have you gotten any relief from the drough yet?
    It's still frigid here so I assume the weather pattern hasn't changed one bit yet.._0(

Now that my Kaffir Lime is starting to flower of which I do owe a pic soon, should I hand pollinate or will it set fruit itself?

Yes, and thank you..I will be getting a Moro this spring..I need to thing the herd of which I have duplicates and multiples of the same trees and get a few different ones I do not have to take the place...

Mike:-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, hiya, Mike! Sorry, been a little MIA lately due to a job change. Have been just a little crazy busy, We actually have a huge storm coming our way, FINALLY, this week! We are so excited, we're all doing the rain dance. We're supposed to get between 1 and 2 inches with this storm, that is a huge amount for us. Coming in Thursday night. As far as I am aware, the Kaffir lime will set fruit without the aid of pollination. But, since the Kaffir is grown for its very aromatic and flavorful leaves, I'm not sure folks are so worried about the fruit. But, looking forward to photos for sure, and you'll love the Moro, it is such a nice cultivar.

Patty S.