Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2013 Taste Testing Winners

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 13:04

Okay, so I've got some ripening citrus in my little orchard, and so far, here are the early results from a few of my trees:

Seedless Kishu - Thank you, Dr. Tracy Kahn SO much for recommending what I think is probably the finest tasting mandarin out there. My poor little Seedless Kishu was being swallowed up by a ginormous Russian Sage which I had to hack down/yank out as it grows by runners. Amazingly, it managed to do quite well despite being choked out, and has rewarded me with some of the best tasting mandarins on the planet. There is nothing to dislike about this mandarin, and it really should be the top "Cutie" mandarin for commercial growers - it is truly seedless, has a zipper skin (you need to cut them off like Satsumas), is sweet, juicy, intense and complex with just the right amount of "zing", not at all sub-acid or boring. It's only detracting quality is its size - smallish, but for me, it makes a perfect snack, and for someone wanting more, well, just eat 2 or 3! Absolutely a perfect snack size for a kid. And, this is my first crop, so they will only get better. I can only imagine.

Michal mandarin - brand new to my orchard just this year. The tree was in a 15 gal. container, very mature, and was loaded with fruit (plus had a huge canopy, so all the fruit got to stay). Typical alternate bearer, so I don't expect much fruit next season. From New Zealand I believe, most likely a cross between some Clementine and a Dancy. Looks like a clementine (and with it's alternate bearing tendencies), tastes to me more like a Dancy. More spritely, higher acid to sugar ratio than SK, less juicy than SK, has some seeds, but still very good, and a very good choice for our desert areas, so may be sweeter in hotter areas. Not bad, and worthy to stay in my orchard. Due to its heavy bearing, fruits are small, like the SK, but again, not a detractor for me, as I like my fruits on the smaller side because I'm on the smaller side :-) Sadly, it is bearing the same year as my Honey mandarin. But, off from one of my Clemenules, so that's good.

Clemenules - Of course the "gold standard" for a mandarin, and brings back memories of Christmas as child - I always got one in the toe of my Christmas stocking, and I was the best part of my stocking, even better than the candy :-) Again, does not disappoint. Just so sweet, juicy, and has that classic mandarin flavor I love so much. A cultivar that has warranted two spots in in my orchard for both taste and sentimentality reasons.

More reports to follow :-)

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2013 Taste Testing Winners

Photos of fruit? :)

o

Oh, well, forgot to snap photos, Ryan, that was dumb of me, since I had my iPhone with me :-) When I can grab a break from work, I'll run up and snap some pics. BTW, things are slowly improving with regard to my Phytophthora issues. Treating with AgriFos as well as reducing the water has made a huge difference. Trees are recovering, and even have had a little flush with our warm temps prior to this cold snap, and temps are again going up this week, so hopefully more canopy growth. Just hoping it all doesn't get frozen off in January, when we'll no doubt have another cold snap.

Patty S.

o

Patty...Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing these experiences with us...What you let us know on this thread will determin which one I will chose my next spring to allow in my home...

I am so limited for space but would love some sort of Tangerine or Manderine that I don't have. Ons sweet, almost seedless, very easy to peel, and one that likes to fruit....This is awesome...

Your poor Kishu being swallowed up..I'm glad you saved that one since they are awesome trees!
I too would love to see some pics of the actual fruit opened up...Thank you thank you!

What I would do to come to your house to do a Citrus Tasting Party!

Hoping all is well with you and that the weather is cooperating..I worry about your trees at times..They are all so majestic and darn right beautiful..

Mike

o

Mike, you would absolutely love Seedless Kishu. Sweet enough for those who either don't care for or cannot tolerate too much citric acid. Absolutely seedless. I've eaten many Seedless Kishu's from many trees and have not yet come across a seed. Probably the most seedless citrus I've ever had, even more so than a navel orange. And the door is always open for a citrus tour! Any time you're in S. Calif in San Diego county, just let me know :-) and for Ryan, here are some photos I promised. Ran our just as the sun was setting, so here are some photos that probably need a bit more light, but you'll still enjoy the view :-)

Okay, here is my tiny, miniature California Honey mandarin. It's from Four Winds, grafted to Cuban Shaddock and if this tree makes it to 5 feet at maturity, I'd be shocked. Going on it's 3rd year in the ground, and is barely 2 feet tall. Loaded with fruit, almost ready:
California Honey mandarin photo IMG_3094_zps8e2ee153.jpg

And my crazy Page mandarin hybrid. Almost as prolific as an Improved Meyer lemon. My fruits would be larger if I thinned. I will next year. This cultivar makes the best juice hands down:
Page mandarin hybrid photo IMG_3095_zpsa4fde256.jpg

Yosemite Gold mandarin. One of the 3 "Golds" (Yosemite, Shasta, and Tahoe). Ready in March/April for me, so a bit more to go, but very happy in its location and loaded with lovely fruits. These 3 "cousins" are almost as cold tolerant a Gold Nugget and on par with Satsumas. And are excellent:
 photo IMG_3096_zps31498c0c.jpg

Cara Cara navel orange getting a bit swallowed up by one of my native California flowers that blooms in the winter. So pretty and they naturalize on my slope here, so I just don't have the heart to cut it back. I'll re-home it when it's spent:
Cara Cara navel orange photo IMG_3097_zps9dc97a93.jpg

Kiyomi tangor. This is one of the parents of the famous Dekopon (Sumo) mandarin. It is the monoembryonic cultivar used to cross with the Ponkan mandarin to create the Dekopon. This tree was not doing well, then I treated it with one dose of AgriFos and it perked right back up. I almost stripped all the fruit off. Glad I didn't as I am very anxious to have my first taste of this cultivar. Should be ready March/April. Possibly earlier based on its appearance:
Kiyomi tango photo IMG_3098_zps9efa7bdd.jpg

My poor Seedless Kishu. You can see the remnants of the Russian Sage all around it, and a few runners already popping up under the tree. Again. I will just continue to yank the damned stuff out. Great for covering a hillside, tolerates almost no water, but it spreads too much for my liking. Or, at least, for this area. Nevertheless, my little Kishu is doing just fine with tremendous neglect (as I forgot about it, because it was completely covered):
Seedless Kishu mandarin photo IMG_3099_zps9ea3fbc7.jpg

Clemenules mandarin (and you can see the Michal in the background behind it). What can I say. Just the most classic of all mandarins. Up there with Seedless Kishu and Ponkan for the best tasting mandarins going. Planted just a few months ago, and quite happy in my yard:
Clemenules mandarin photo IMG_3100_zpsfe4e2536.jpg

Michal mandarin. Yes, that's not a light trick, the mandarins really are that dark orange. Very, very pretty tree. If you're needing something very decorative and ornamental, and also provides decently tasting fruit, this is a great choice. Really beautiful tree and fruilt, and tasted very good. Planted at the same time as the Clemenules:
 photo IMG_3101_zps50778531.jpg

Okay. Of course you know there are many more trees in my orchard, but enough for tonight. Hope you enjoyed a little walk through my orchard. All trees are very young, from 3 years old to just planted this year. And lastly, the view from my driveway, looking towards the ocean. The sunset was so lovely this evening, just had to share with my friends:
 photo IMG_3092_zpscadfef29.jpg

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 21:37

o

Thanks, Patty. We all learn something from you nearly every day. I am still staying with the Pixie; but I have a different climate, and it is my favorite. In the next 2 weeks I will be harvesting my gigantic rooftop container Cara Cara orange; I will take photos and let you know how it is. I have lots of other fruit on my 3 rooftop CC's; here they basically ripen throughout the year, as do my Meyers. I am hoping to have a few oranges at various times of the year. My farm citrus... about 15 or more varieties, are growing gangbusters... I probably planted the grove of "family" trees a bit too close; but I have a mechanized hedge trimmer for pruning to their own space.
My farm manager continues his love affair with his Calamondin; three years old and it is NEVER without fruit for his kitchen. Merry Christmas to all; I will be here in the City of Eternal Springtime; but on 26th off to Madrid and Copenhagen... WAY too cold for me; but it is a grandchildren thing.

o

John I am looking forward to seeing your rooftop Cara Cara orange. I promise, no pictures from me.

Steve

o

Wow!! Thank you for the orchard tour Patty, I wish my trees were as green as I am now (with envy). Lovely and very informative too - and the sunset was just an added bonus. Thank you so much for the generous sharing of your expertise!
Westgirl

o

Patti - Very nice yard and trees. I can see that citrus trees just do not belong up north when I see trees in their natural climate. They look so much better in a healthy environment.

Steve

o

Patty....YOU ARE THE CALIFORNIA CITRUS TREE WHISPERER! Hands down!

Who needs cultural information anywhere else on how to grow citrus in their yard as you do when we have one who's knows her stuff...Then if you don't, you learn and then proceed to stop here and share that with us at none of our expense...I am truly grateful to learn from you even though I don't have in-ground citrus..But much of your offerings also relate to potted ones too.
Thank you Patty!

The first thing I thought is that it would be nice if you could post us a sunset pic living there, and before I could finish that thought, here you did..Nice..I love it.
I would love to visit your place as it would make my vacation if I was to ever come to California for a visit. Then of course I would have to stop by Josh's place.

I love the Kishu and I can't believe all the work you have to do to keep it from runith over from sage..Sheesh, what I pain in the but.
I love how all your trees are so full of fruit while very green at the same time. That is a feat not to many people can do. To have both loaded fruit and green at the same time...Wonderful job!
They look better than some of the citrus groves I have seen.

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 9:17

o

Hah, boy folks, thanks, I appreciate the accolades, but truly, living where I live makes it very easy to grow citrus. Even with my "overloving" :-) Mike, that sunset is a view to to the ocean. A little hard to see since I snapped the pic a little early, so there was a fair amount of sun shining back into the camera, but if you look closely at the lowest point on the horizon, that's the ocean :-) We have a more expansive view from our upstairs window. Some of the other homes in our development that are up a little higher than my house have breathtakingly sweeping views. We are very, very blessed to live in this little enclave of homes in Vista. Most people who live here don't even know we're here. Kinda cool. Mike, if you're wanting to add another really superlative mandarin to your collection, consider the Ponkan. It is rich, sweet, exceptionally good. John, I like Pixie, too, have one up in my upper slope in the back yard, it just hasn't produced yet, as it too, was struggling with Phytophthora, but it's starting to spring back. Our local wholesale citrus grower, Clausen's Nursery, whom I think very highly of, swears by Pixie, and it's their favorite mandarin, too. It is good, I just haven't had a chance to enjoy it much, yet. Similar qualities to Seedless Kishu, only it's not seedless. That's never dissuaded me as far as how I rank my favorites, but it does make a difference for others. Thank you all for your kind words. I think it actually is very interesting to see the growth differences between my trees and John's. You are clearly seeing the affects of rootstock, climate, and intense commercial care. Hobbyist versus commercial grower. John's commercial trees are all twice the size of mine that are of the same age :-) Again, thank you all for such kind words. If I get brave, I'll snap photos of my trees still struggling and trying to get past the Phytophthora. I think all will survive. Citrus are amazingly tough plants.

Patty S.

o

Great photos, the Michal mandarin is insane holding that much fruit! I could defiantly believe its alternate. The page is also heavy. I'll admit, I am California dreaming a little seeing those pictures, with all our rainy cold cloudy weather as of late. Keep the pictures coming, They are enjoyed by us all very much, that goes to everyone!

o

Thanks, Ryan. The Michal was interesting - no one I know really knows much about it. Another rather obscure cultivar (here in this part of the USA, that is) is my new Marisol mandarin (it's in the Clementine family). Clausen's had one just sitting there, when I went to pick up an Improved Meyer lemon tree as a housewarming gift for my niece and her future husband (who is a chef and loves to cook with Meyer lemons, a nod to you, John). Ray at Clausen's didn't really know much about it, and they had bought up all the leftover inventory from their grower in the Imperial Valley, as he was retiring. This fellow used to grow more unusual varieties. I will have to walk back up the hill today, and see if any fruit are ready to pick. Should be, this is their season. It is a Spanish clementine, so we'll have to compare it to the Clemenules and see if it can stand up :-)

Patty S.

o

If that is the Ocean, then I am in wishful heaven Patty....How can you not be happy to wake up to that every day surrounded by your loved ones, including trees...So much to be grateful for my friend....

Not to say that nice looking pool too..lol

You know, you once talked of trying a 'Dekopan' tree, I remember that Patty..I can't wait till you tell us what it tastes like..I know that was not an easy tree to get a hold of..I am gald it's doing well for you, or much better. I know how much you treasure that one....

No matter what you say, I know that caring for trees like yours can not look that great unless one knows what they are doing..You are proving that..

Do you know how many citrus trees I have run into in the best climate possible and how aweful they look?.On my property in the Carribean to boot..
Yellow, full of bugs, dead branches, small branches, lots of little fruit many that are half dead..Fruit that is marred, black spots, callused and just plain ole ugly...

You may have a few that might resemble that, but in general, most of yours are outstandily amazing showing me a mighty hand stands behind them with your growing conditions on your side:-)

Please fill me in on the choicest fruit you think I can handle, worth my time and the room to make for another..You are right about the Kishu according to all the people I shared it with...Now it's my turn to give it a try and a few others dependent on what you share.)

Mike

o

Well shoot, I sampled the one and only Seedless Kishu tonight and boy did it leave much to be desired. Not sure if it froze and was damaged that fast or old and hidden cause it was pretty dry. Next season right. The plant is growing and happy, but like Patty's wanting to spread.

I am looking forward to the Gold Nugget, it wants to be a nice column, and has lots of deep green fruit.

My Page, a small baby that it is, has a full load of fruit that is not ready but probably next.

The Clementine has a nice number of fruit that is about half orange.

Looking forward to the first Morro too, the fruit is just starting to turn from green to yellow.

Still waiting on their first flowering season from my Mexican Lime and Tarocco. Both in the ground two summers here.

o

Mike, your words are so kind, thank you, I still need to do a fair amount of improvements out there. I need to re-do my entire watering system. I'll probably hire someone to do it, too back-breaking for me. And, widen all the wells, mulch carefully, etc. And, still don't have a Dekopon - not possible to acquire this cultivar here in California, sadly. At least, not yet. I know that the CCPP was attempting to acquire budwood that was not licensed (it would be the Shiranui, which is the same cultivar as the Dekopon), but I haven't heard whether or not they've been able to acquire clean budwood, yet. Then, it will be at least another 5 years before it is available to the public for grafting. So, no Dekopon for me, yet. I will try to grow one from seed, though, if I can find a seed in one of my Dekopons from the grocery store this spring. I did taste test them at the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection, and off the tree they were very good. Almost as good as the Seedless Kishu. For those of you residing outside a citrus state, you actually CAN get a Shiranui mandarin from a grower in Florida, who is licensed to ship out of the state of Florida. I think Harris Citrus, and they can ship to MA. Just not to CA, AZ, TX, etc.

Kippy, darn! Just one little fruit. Can't judge the tree on one fruit, so hopefully you'll have a nice crop next season. And that is so typical of Page. Just a ridiculously prolific tree, just about as prolific as Meyer lemons. You'll love the Page, it is outstanding.

Patty S.

o

Patty you truly have the WOW FACTOR.Have you ever thought of opening a small garden center?I think you should you are extremely knowledgable and caring.This obviously is your passion and you are truly gifted at it.All your trees look amazing . Love your page tree and honey mandarin.I am also looking forward to eating one of my page oranges almost ready, I have never eaten one.Keep up the great work Patty and thanks for all your knowledge and have a great holiday.

o

I had listed the trees we have on a different forum, some one was shocked that I had planted the Seedless Kishu and stated how horrible the fruit is, way too sweet and not worth eating. If I remember correctly, they were from a different part of the country. Guessing the heat in their location really affected the fruit

o

Well, thank you orangelime! You are too kind :-) I have thought of that, but I'm probably too old at this point to think about changing careers. Or, actually launching into a second career, since I'm pushing retirement age, lol!! Of course, John would probably tell me I'm plenty young enough to start a second career with citrus :-) I'm a Master Gardener, and yes, very much my love and passion. And you'll just love the Page mandarin hybrid, it is very unique. I just absolutely adore it for juice. I am drinking my first glass of the season tomorrow morning, in fact.

Kippy, I think that might have been a dear forum friend of mine who grows all his citrus in the most marvelous greenhouse in Colorado. I think you're probably right - this cultivar most likely does its best here in California, and maybe not as good as it can be in a greenhouse setting. But, it truly is very exceptional. Still the best tasting mandarin in my orchard. I'm just waiting until my Ponkans produce, and then I'll let you know.

Now, the new mandarin I was waiting for was actually my Primosole mandarin. It is a hybrid of ‘Carvalhais’ mandarin and ‘Miho wase’ Satsuma produced at the University of Catania, Sicily, in 1980. It is exactly as described - a cross between a mandarin and a Satsuma. Very, very good. I was very pleased with it. Peels easily like a satsuma, but the skin is smoother and firmer. Sweet, juicy, flattened fruit, pretty large, almost seedless. Very interesting mandarin, so glad I found it just sitting there all alone at the nursery :-)

Patty S.

o

Hi Patty. Happy Holidays! Sorry I haven't been around lately. I have been hanging out on the Plumeria forums more lately. Anyhow, I miss all of the wonderfull people here.

I really appreciate the info on Harris Citrus nursery. I just checked and they do have the shirnui in stock. I am going to call Monday and see if I can order one and have it shipped this spring. I have a friend who is a nursery owner and he attends a tropical fruit convention in Florida every January. He brings back citrus ranging in size from 5-30 gal pots and he gives me a discount on them. I may wait and see if he can get me one along with a Kishu, a navel orange, and a Pink variegated lemon.

I loved all your pics and I may want to add to my list Patty. Thanks for sharing them!

Andrew

o

Patti. I think the person that hated it so much was from Texas. Might just be too much heat for good flavor

o

Oh, that would be mrtexas, then. And it could be due to the climate there for sure. That's right, he had top worked a tree with Seedless Kishu and was not happy with it. Too small for one thing, if I remember correctly. I sure know it performs exceptionally well here in the ground in California for us. And, that's the great thing about the plethora of citrus cultivars - there's something for everyone :-)

Patty S.

o

----------------"there's something for everyone"----------------

--------------------------------OH YEA-------------------------------

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

---------------------------------LOL---------------------------------- -

Steve

o

Patty,

You talked up the Seedless Kishu, Dekopon and Gold nugget so just had to get them. I had 11 varieties of citrus and due to the greening issues here in Florida I had stopped with citrus but made an exception. I liked the idea of the Kishu so much I bought two of them.

Here the fruit is not ripe yet but almost.....another 3 weeks to peak I would guess. I have tried a few of the Kishu and like them very much. It is also a very pretty tree. The Gold nugget has just 2 fruit and have not tried them. The Dekopon did not grow real well and did not fruit this year but it is still very small. Ironically with all the energy I expended trying to find the Dekopon you can now buy them at Home Depot:)

I am glad I made an exception and added the new trees and we shall see if greening is an issue in the future. Right now concentrating on the fig collection....just passed 100 varieties.

Here is one of the new Kishu trees......through the limbs of a very confused peach.

photo 20131215_103300_zpsd3ea466b.jpg

o

very nice looking Kishu. Very Very nice looking peach tree with its delicate pink flower. What variety is it. I am biased towards peaches and now figs now that I got about 30 off my HC.

Home Depot comes through for a lot of people at a price I can spend, just not the right variety yet in cincinnati. They had Meyer lemon (excessively temperamental and in need of light and feed); moro blood orange. (excessively cold and lack of light sensitive); and calamondin orange (inedible).

I hope you do well with your new trees and a treatment is found for the citrus greening.

Steve

o

Bamboorabbit, sorry for all the greening issues in your neck of the woods, I know that's just an awful, awful thing for us citrus lovers, especially those living in Florida. I feel for you. And your peach tree! OMG. I know you all have had temps in the 80's, so no wonder it is confused! Hopefully it will re-flower for you this spring. How funny. It must be a low chill variety. And 100 figs, that's impressive! I just acquired a Black Madeira and a lovely Black Weeping Fig. So, pretty happy with those acquisitions.

Patty S.

o

Poncirusguy,

The peach is a UFBeauty. Have 7 peach trees but it is the only one blooming. It really does not matter as there are 1000's of buds on the tree and only a few are breaking.

Patty,

Yep while you were shivering in the 30's we were in the mid 80's and after a couple of upcoming cool days we are going back in the 80's. Who knows what will happen with the greening.......if they get sick it gives me more room for figs:)

o

I had been waiting on 3 plants to get dormant to move. Today I looked and all three have both leaves that need to fall and brand new growth! Ack.

I got two of the three moved today, last one is going to need a big hole and I did not have time to dig.

My Nectarines and peaches that I planted a couple of years ago are all full of fuzzy lumps :) And my plum that fruits first is still covered in leaves. Something is odd.

o

Rabbit,

If you apply Imidacloprid 3 times per year, you can probably avoid the HLB. It is recommended by the FL Ag people. In the short term that is about all you can do; in the longer term the gurus are working on things like inoculating your trees with an attenuated Tristeza virus, and a few other methodologies. The Imidacloprid is for killing/repelling the ACP... no ACP, no HLB. FYI, the ACP prefers first lemons, next oranges/mandarins, next grapefruits/pomelos; and last Kaffir lime; it has to do with the phenology of the plant. Unfortunately, I grow Meyer lemons, the favorite of the favorites, also the only lemon the Medfly attacks. At the moment we don't have HLB anywhere near my farms; but we are putting up a fight against any future invasion. The deal is to get HLB you have to have the ACP and the bacteria; where I am we don't have the bacteria....YET.

o

Seriously!? First I had no idea that peach trees existed in Florida let alone bloom now....Mine won't bloom until next April...lol
Never heard of any peach tree flowering at this time of the year..New one on me.
I thought I had a lot of Figs with 15 in pots...Jeesh, it's a good thing I don't live where I can plant them too, or I would have hundreds too..

Patty, I finally ordered a Dekopan!!! I'll be getting it Thursday and I can't wait...And it's all because of you:-)

Thank you for this wonderful thread and explaining the fruits in detail!
What do you think of 'Clemetines' and is there a best one over another? That is also on my wish list.

Now I want a Clemetine, a Kumquat, and a Manderin.
What are the top three of these knowing my intolerance to acid and knowing I love sweet and seedless?

ALSO, where would you suggest that I get a Kishu? I need one on good root stock..The one I bought at Logee's just always seems to lag and hardly ever grow..It seems as if it is week and I figure it might be the root stock..Not sure.I could use another prolific one from a good source if you have any ideas..

Patty, thank you so much and again, please keep this going as you continue to test them out?

By the way, if I could send you a Dekopan, I would:-)

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 21:41

o

Patti

You mentioned that you had a bloomsweet grapefruit tree. Have you eaten any fruit from it. Could you mail me some seed with enough flesh to keep them fresh. I live in Ohio so there will be no restriction to shipping seeds here. If it is legal to ship them from CA i would appreciate trying one. Perhaps if I had grow a citrus from seed that grows well I would be much more enthusiastic about citrus.

Steve

PS If it is not legal I don't want them.

o

Mike, it was 84 here, today :-( So, that means citrus will flush and flower, and a few of my lower chill stone fruits might also try to start blooming. I prefer temps to stay an even keel this time of year. I don't mind it being a little cooler, it's nice to have a little seasonal weather :-)

Okay, for a clementine - I would definitely recommend the Nules clementine (also known as Clemenules, same cultivar, just goes by two different names). All clementines will have some seeds. So, if you're not keen on seeds, then instead, I would suggest the incredible Gold Nugget mandarin. Probably one of the top 5 best tasting mandarins around (the top 5 imho being Seedless Kishu, Ponkan, Gold Nugget, Page, Pixie, with Xie Shan satsuma and Tango tied with Pixie). Two very appealing qualities for Gold Nugget - very seedless, and very late. So, you can extend your mandarin season with Gold Nugget as it isn't ripe until Feb/March, but it holds so exceptionally well on the tree, you can leave them on through June.

I would definitely get your Seedless Kishu from Four Winds. I am very impressed with their root growth on their trees. Every single tree I've purchased from them has absolutely thrived. They also carry Gold Nugget, but not sure if they carry Clemenules - call them and ask. They are the nicest folks.

If you don't have a satsuma mandarin, you might want to consider adding a satsuma to your mandarin collection. The best of the mandarins is Xie Shan (pronounced, "Shee" "Shan"). Satsumas taste different than the clementines and willow mandarins, and they are very mild. Xie Shan is also very seedless. I think maybe Harris Citrus (where you can get a Shiranui) may have them, as well as the Clemenules.

For a kumquat - the sweetest of all the cultivars is the Meiwa. And that's due to it's thicker, sweeter skin. And, they're a little larger and rounder, so if you want to squeeze them for juice for cooking, they're a little easier. All kumquats (except Nordmann Seedless) are seedy. And the Nordmann Seedless is pretty sour :-0

And, if you could see how green with envy I am right now, well, you'd be calling me Kermit :-) I would just love, love, love to have a Dekopon, oh my gosh. Just not going to happen. Boo.

Patty S.

o

Steve, I do have two Bloomsweet grapefruits, but no fruit, yet. Both are in containers. One is going on its second year, so just waiting for flowers, the other is just this season. I can mail seeds still, so when I get fruit, I'll save some seeds for you.

Patty S.

o

MeyerMike,

The University of Florida has developed many low chill peaches and plums. A lot of acreage of citrus in Florida is being dozed and replanted in peaches. The result is a couple of the very best peaches are just impossible to get as the commercial folks are taking them all.

For the record our peaches generally flower end of February.....that tree in my picture is just a bit confused:)

o

Patty..I just has to look at that sunset again:-)..Yet another snow storm here and it was -5 this a.m//I am tired of it as well as my trees...

Is there anyway you could post a pic of a tree by your poolside sometime? I'd love that!

As for the Dekopan., will do:-) I can't wait to get it..I think I will put that one in my greenhouse as it will take first place among others..

Really appreciate your suggestions and info on what to get. I will follow this come the spring for sure. I wonder how I can safe this thread?
I will need it in the future..Hard to believe that I don't have any of these trees although I have dozens of citrus and triple of the same kinds..lol
It's time I branch out and try the less acidic ones and see how they do and taste for me....

Here is a flower I worked hard on just for you:-)0)Boy does it have a very strong SWEET fragrance!

photo DSCF6108_zps83916b8d.jpg

photo DSCF6109_zps9fe4b628.jpg

Bamboo...Hard to believe..Wow..I am amazed at the fact that they are growing peaches there now and for the most part, you hundreds of figs! Yum..

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 18:52

o

Mike,

Nice flower. As for the message, just save it to "my clippings"..

Malagayang Pasko
\

o

John...Same to you and travel safely please:-)

Thanks a bunch..Will try that...

MIke

o

Hi Patty I was in the greenhouse watering on Sunday and here is some of what I picked from my trees. Limes , lemons , honey oranges , clementines which are small but do they taste great!! One problem Patty is the lemons and limes are going to be ripe all at the same time . Those limes really taste great in rum and coke and so do the lemons and not to bad in the Mexican beer either!! I can really see now were citrus gardening going to lead me not good. Here is a picture of a few of the citrus from Sunday.

o

Mike, you bet I'll post a new pic of my container citrus by my pool. Don't cry, but it was 80 here again, today. Just gorgeous. The dry Santa Ana winds have abated, and were replaced with a warm, balmy air, just a gorgeous day in S. California. My Chironja orangelo fruits are ripening up, so you'll see yellowish orange fruits, now. My Ortanique has a few months to go, but it's most ripe fruit is just starting to color up. And, your Cattleya orchid is just gorgeous, spectacularly large flower. And the benefit of their fragrance is such a bonus! I just love how orchids smell. Do you have 'Sharry Baby' (Oncidium 'Sharry Baby'), the chocolate orchid? If not, you HAVE to get one. They have a compact version of this cultivar that smells just as good as the original cultivar. I just got gifted with a pretty little intergeneric orchid (Odontoglossum x Oncidium) at our family Christmas gift Yankee swap. I was lucky - no one wanted the orchid, lol!! Or, they all know my love of plants, and didn't want to steal it from me. In any event, it went home with me and has a nice place on my sofa table next to my big Kentia palm and my Sanseveria:

photo IMG_3117cropped_zps85d0e567.jpg

Mike, when your Dekopon arrives, be sure to snap pics of it so I can drool over here :-(

Orangelime, very nice pile of citrus, yum! And, sounds like we've driven you to drink, lol! But, certainly, how can you go wrong with home grown citrus? So, tell me, what is the Honey orange? Is that the Honey mandarin? Great mandarin cultivar, love mine. I have a ton of little ones just about ready . Going to sample them tomorrow, and try a glass of Page mandarin juice, too.

John, very save travels over the holidays, I know you're going abroad, so hope you see a little snow, and have fun!

More citrus reports coming over the weekend, if I'm not too crazy busy with Christmas!

Patty S.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 12:00

Patty, your citrus all look great. Thanks for sharing. I agree that kishu is an excellent fruit. Just a perfect snack. The small leaves make it an interesting patio tree as well.

o

Thanks, mrclint. Some are still trying to recover from "too much love" and Phytophthora, but hopefully, they'll all perk up and be growing great for next season. I really do need to completely re-vamp my watering system. I might get an estimate to see what it might cost me to do this with an irrigation company we have here in Vista. If it's too expensive, I'll enlist the assistance of my wonderful neighbor, who is a doctor, but in his 20's worked for a sprinkler company. My neighbor is a genius, and could help design the perfect system. Then, it would just be a matter of slowly putting in the labor to get everything switched over. It all needs to be on 2 to 4 micro sprinklers,wells dugn, mulched, etc. Not a small (or cheap) job :-)

And yes, Seedless Kishu is a more compact tree, and very, very well suited for container growth. Lovely little tree, and also very prolific, so it can get just covered with the most adorable and delicious little snack-sized, zipper skinned, seedless treats.

Patty S.

o

Patty sorry it is a murcott but the fruit kind of looks like a satsuma which I also have, Patty the page mandarins are so close to being ready I can almost taste them.i was so tempted to pull one off , Patty California dreaming -20 degrees F Sunday night with 2 and half feet of snow on the ground with another foot of snow on the way between Thursday night and Sunday .Looks very Christmasy,

o

Patty..Dang! If I had just saved one of the dozen or so of Kishu when I gave them all away...Even my Mom said that she never tasted anything like it...She said it was not acidic at all..
The only problem with mine is that it takes FOREVER to gain any growth...It looks the same size as it was when I bought it 2 years ago..I don't get it..
That is why I am going to get another one from Four Winds..I wonder if it is the root stock that Logee's has it on or if I am doing something wrong?

I am so happy to see that your trees are recovering from that nasty disease..Sheesh..I don't think caring for tree in the ground is any easier than caring for them in pots.

I sure will take a picture...I only cost me 20 dollars soI am assuming it might be quite small.

I just smelled one of those chocolate ones today! I happen to have 4 of them.,.lol. I will snap a shot of them once they begin to flower. I seem to have a problem getting Oncidiums to re-flower..I am keeping my fingers crossed.

That one you got is amazing...I'll bet you just love it! They are easy to care for.
Look at you getting all that warm air and all those ripening fruit! Please, keep letting us know how they are..
I just hope you are no where near those dreaded fires going on over there..Sheesh,.

Oh and good luck with setting up a better watering system..I know you can do it!
By the way, my Lemon Meyer is doing great, the one planted in the ground with this dreaded unusually colder than normal winter...Oh the ground just outside my greenhouse is frozen solid:( Another foot of snow last night...Tiring!

MIke:-)

o

Hey Patty, I was so happy when I opened this thread and saw your comments on the seedless kishu :)

Do you remember recommending the Kishu to me a year or two ago when I could not procure a Tango? I received my first crop this year too and they are the most wonderful little citrus I have ever had!

o

I sure do, aslan :-) So glad you're liking your Seedless Kishu. I can thank Dr. Tracy Kahn for pointing out this very outstanding citrus during the Citrus Day Tour of the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection a few years ago. They are delightful.

And I figured you had a chocolate orchid, Mike, they do smell heavenly, and so potent. My entire bathroom smelled so good when they were in bloom. I hope I can get it to re-bloom, too. I have to repot all my orchids in my bathroom, what a chore. And, be sure to snap some pics of your greenhouse, especially since you're got a foot of snow on the ground, egad. And, nowhere near the fires, thankfully. They're all up north, and I'm way down in San Diego county. We so far, have dodged the Santa Ana wind-driven fires again, this year, praise God.

Patty S.

o

Patty, it's funny you should ask that....I was going to take a pic for you this a.m until I realized I was almost late for work.
You know, I just saw another chocolate orchid today at the nursery and I almost bought it..It smelled so good..I figure that if I have several of them, then at least one is bound to do something for me..lol

I will also take a picture of my Kishu..I don't understand why it is so stagnet in appearance..It just will not get bigger anytime soon..I wonder if it is lack of full sunlight for the most part of the year on this one. I wonder if this particular citrus needs many warm days and night to do anything.. A real NEED A FULL SUNNY spot plant?

I will try and snap a pic of my Meyer Lemon in the ground and give you an update.. It would probably be much bigger if I could just give it full hot sun all year long:((

Oh, having orchids in your bathroom just sounds so nice! The only one in my bathroom is a fake one...I can tell you that they probably thrive in the hunidity in there after showers!

Thank God you are not near the fires! I am so happy about that and that you are safe my friend!

Hey when I am about to put money down for new citrus, I will reflect on this thread and ask you for the best advice in choosing again..John showed me how to clip this and that is what I will do..Can't wait to hear from you again...

o

Mike, the Seedless Kishu is a naturally more compact mandarin. So, hopefully that is partially explaining why it is still a little smallish. Do you know what rootstock it's grafted to? I'd try to find that out if possible. That may be contributing to its slower growth as you're suspecting. I don't think it needs anything more special at all - it's a mandarin, so nothing super different, and can tolerate colder temps than other citrus due to it's heritage. And, I thought you'd enjoy this photo. Do you recognize it?? :-)

photo 2ab35964-43d0-48d3-be94-d9e2622592db_zps2a63c739.jpg

Look at that gorgeous coloring up, as our temps chill down. That reddish tinge is due to colder temps. The red fades during the summer. Reminds me a lot of what Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' does in the winter. It is very, very happy in it's spot on my back patio, next to the pool!

Patty S.

o

Well, surprise, surprise my nearly frozen Pages are a new cocktail hit! The juice is really terrific. Another surprise, the Smith Red. They were not ready 2 weeks ago, but terrific color and taste has developed.

The freeze up here in Northern Calif has been brutal. A week of sub-freezing nights in the low 20's. The Page [picture taken Dec-7] looks terrible but the fruit was not damaged. AccuWeather said it was 19F; the neighbor's weather station said 16F for an overnight low 2 weeks ago. Thankfully it was a brief dip with the daytime temp rising to nearly 50F.

I think it will take 6-9 months to recover the foliage from the freeze. The Lemons and Limes are looking like they will drop 90% of the leaves. Ouch!
-GeorgeK

o

Oh, George, that's really rough. This is what happened to me last year. I had 5 nights in a row with temps between 22 and 26 degrees. I lost a couple of small trees, and had lots of damage to many others. It looks like the Page will snap back, though, and glad you go to enjoy the fruity, it really is outstanding. All the very best qualities of it's parents wrapped up into one very delicious fruit. Truly the juice is one of the top five best citrus juices hand's down. We're going to have temps drop close to freezing tonight, here. It is currently 44 degrees at 6:45 pm PT per my weather station, and weather underground says Vista proper is supposed to drop to 39. So, for me in the hills, it will be close to freezing. Fortunately we had about 1/2" of rain today, so the soil is saturated, which may keep temps under the trees at 32 degrees or a bit warmer. So, crossing my fingers I don't wake up to ice. And thanks for the report on the Smith Red Valencia! I was going to check my tree this weekend, so maybe I'll stroll up the slope tomorrow and pick one. This will be my first year with fruit on one of my Smith's. The first tree I bought came from Four Winds, and it stayed very small for 2 years. The, it was as though it hit the Klondike, and now it's growing like a madman. HUGE thorny sprouts (not to worry, all above the graft, and definitely all scion growth). It probably has quadrupled in size in the last 12 months. No blooms, though, just huge, huge vegetative growth. So, hoping that one hits its mature node count so I see some blooms this spring. I'm actually surprised at how big it's going to get being on Cuban Shaddock. I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow, and see if I can find an older pic of it so I can do a before and after.

Patty S.

o

Patty beautiful pictures keep them coming and then there is this. If you look close you will see my poor page oranges smucked against the wall of the greenhouse.

o

Good night, orangelime! Where do you live? Mike, does your yard look like this?!? Reminds me of N. Indiana. 10 years of shoveling snow was enough for me :-) So glad to be back home in S. Calif. I feel your pain.

Patty S.

o

Funny Patty you ask Santa Claus lives across the street from me the house with the 2 beautiful pines. Patty I love you , you are so funny. I really live in Ottawa Canada .Patty your originally from Cape Breton I am sure you remember scenes like this or should I say try to forget scenes like this. They are calling for another 6 inches of snow this afternoon and a half inch of ice tomorrow hence I just picked up a couple of cans of propane at Costco this morning just in case we loose power.

o

Oh gosh, that's right, short memory, I. And dearie, that's a LOT Of snow. Yes, 1/2 my Scot's family came through Cape Breton not too long after the Highland Clearings (the Frasers) and the other 1/2 right from Scotland (Flemings - my grandparents). They both made their way westward and landed in the nice sunny warm (not) Edmonton, Alberta. After staying there enough generations to get all their toes frozen off, then decided Vancouver, BC sounded a lot balmier! So, I was not allowed to complain about being cold as a child :-) Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath ùr!

Patty S.

o

PATTY!!

I'll be back..I just finished sanding plaster ALL DAY and just noticed this before my shower..I'll be back later..I can't believe the jade!!!! Yahoo...It looks great..I am so excited you showed me..That means a lot!
It's beautiful..LIke no color I have seen anyone's that I gave some too..It's awesome!

MIke

o

I haven't ever seen a jade turn red like this, either, Mike. And, we have just about every jade cultivar out here that the is. It is very pretty, especially with the Sedum rubrotinctum 'Pork & Beans' underneath it. I just love it. I've gotten several compliments from other succulent enthusiasts out here.

On a citrus note, went up to check my Smith Red Valencia, and still not ready. Probably more like January/February, which is more on time for us in S. California. One of my Moros, my most mature one, is absolutely loaded with fruit this year. It seems to sort of alternate bear, which is unusual for that cultivar, I don't know that Moro tends to alternate bear, which I find odd. It may be more of a response to having been a bit neglected before I bought the house. This was the tree that I thought was dead, and the previous owner apologized profusely, and couldn't remember what kind of citrus tree it was. So, it was quite the surprise 2 years ago, when I went to pick what I assumed was just a regular orange, and saw the dark red blush on the skin. I get enough cold temps in the winter to make the flesh super pigemented. When they're ready to pick, I'll take some photos of the fruits both whole and cut, as well as the juice from them. It is so dark it looks like grape juice. All those excellent anthocyanin anti-oxidants, yea!

Patty S.

o

Hello Patty...And Merry Christmas if I don't get to come back by Christmas day:-)
You are a special person to us here in Lowell Ma.

I wanted to share another miniature one of the sweetest fragrant Cattalaya I have ever grown...Look how it basks in the SNOW..

photo DSCF6134_zpsa5c715e1.jpg

photo DSCF6136_zps10e23483.jpg

The real color....)

photo DSCF6137_zpsc90a4dba.jpg

I thought I would also take a pic of the the Lemon Meyer tree you have been wondering about...It could use much more sun at this time, but it's surviving! It's in here...

photo DSCF6130_zpscd9820ed.jpg

photo DSCF6126_zps65cc8f53.jpg

photo DSCF6125_zps1ab0f58a.jpg

You know..I have been thinking about getting a Moro Blood for the longest time...You just sealed the deal!

Yes, that Jade is amazing Patty and in your care, I just knew it! Thank you for sharing your trees, tastes and a plant that means a lot to me..You have a good heart!

Mike

o

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, Mike! And I am just tickled about the jade, it is just shaping up to be one very tremendous plant. I'm hoping to take cuttings this summer, and do some new starts. I have a few spots in my garden that I want to add this pretty jade to. Now, for more photos you requested. Here are my Chironja orangelo and the Ortanique tangor on my back patio, which a peek at the pool. Now, if you look in the background, on the back wall of the pool, in the flat red ceramic pot, you'll see a very large Aloe polyphylla growing very happily. These very, very rare Spiral aloes are really not suited for my climate, but for some reason, I can grow them very happily in pots on my patio. The older leaf tips are browning because I need to re-pot it in a much larger pot:
 photo IMG_3119_zps62a97b59.jpg

photo IMG_3136_zps01026d8f.jpg

photo IMG_3122_zps9ec7ab91.jpg

And you can just see one of the fruits on the Ortanique starting to color up. Won't be ready until late January:
 photo IMG_3121_zps486d7290.jpg

And the Chironja fruits are almost ready:
 photo IMG_3120_zpse3860103.jpg

Your greenhouse is doing well, and your lemon tree looks extremely happy. And, the Moro is a very unique fruit with one of the most unique flavors of all oranges. Quite interesting, you really can taste a berry flavor in it. Plus, it is so extremely healthy for you. All the benefits of a citrus, plus all those anthocyanins. If you grow it in the greenhouse, where it can get a little cool, it will color up for you very well.

Patty S.

o

Patti and Mike very impressive plants. I love the way they look

Mike Thanks for the hot topic link. I got some hornets buzzing.

o

Winners for me so far are Kishu, Page, and Cocktail. I took a bunch of fruit down to my parents at Thanksgiving and everyone raved about the Kishu. My brother and I both went back this weekend and first thing everyone said was "did you bring any more Kishus?".

My Cocktail GF were potted this spring and one produced 7 fruits. I tried one and they are fabulous but almost too sweet. Crazy amount of seed so mostly going to get juiced. I've found that half Cocktail and half my unknown 25 year old white GF make FANTASTIC juice. Almost 1 cup of juice out of each Cocktail, more than the much larger unknown white grapefruit. Here is a picture of each right before the juicer. Unknown white GF has a bit of red blush to pulp this year. Cocktail on bottom is almost gold by comparison. Hmm, I think I may have to buy a Standard Cocktail and find some more room in the backyard.......

o

Hah!! "What Greg said", lol!! Yes, Greg, Cocktail is that sweet. I love it to pieces. Exactly how I would want a grapefruit to taste! All the great, interesting grapefruit taste, but no bitterness (Mike, darling, are you listening??) And again, I send kudos out to Dr. Tracy Kahn for turning me onto the incredible Seedless Kishu. What an exceptional citrus cultivar. It really should be the number 1 "Cutie" out there. I'm not sure why commercial growers have not figured this out. They really should market it as the "Super Cutie" :-) Hmm, maybe I'll trademark that, but 200 acres in the Central Valley and go into the commercial citrus business. That, and if I could come up with an HLB-immune version of it. And the Cocktail makes as good a juice as the Page mandarin hybrid, just a very different flavor. I have combined Page, Moro and Cocktail together as a juice. Honestly? The Citrus Nirvana of juice. I will post pics of my Moros this year, so you can see how pigmented they get in my neck of the woods. They'll be ready at the end of January by the looks of the fruit.

And, your unknown white grapefruit is probably PInk Marsh. It is a bud sport of the Marsh (Marsh can bud sport just on its own), and this cultivar is almost seedless, and has a pink blush as you see. It is quite good, and in Upland, you may get just enough heat units to make it sweet. Very nice grapefruit.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 11:26

Funny, when I first started looking for a kishu here locally a few years back, none of the nurserymen carried it because they were hard to sell --the fruit was considered too small. It's the only tree that I had to mail order from Four Winds. Now I see kishu everywhere.

Is Cocktail a tastier/sweeter fruit than Oro Blanco? I do a fruit swap with someone that has Oro Blanco and they are excellent. Best grapefruit I've had to date, but I admit to not being a huge grapefruit fan.

o

I think we can attribute that to the power of our various fruit forums as well as the CRFG's here in California, along with the word of mouth that flows through both of these venues. That's some powerful advertising :-)

And yes, Cocktail is sweeter than Oro Blanco. Both are excellent. I think Melogold is a bit sweeter and juicier than Oroblanco, and has thinner skin than it's "sister", Oroblanco. Because of the thinner skin, it isn't as appealing commercially, but for us dooryard orchardists, I think it's a better choice than Oroblanco, if you had to pick between the two. I love Cocktail, it is definitely an orange/grapefruit cross - more orange inside and sweeter, but still retains that grapefruit flavor.

Patty S.

o

Holy margaritaville Patty what a beautiful backyard!!! Like we weren't already jealous then you go show us all these beautiful pictures. Speaking of margaritas what time should all of us be at your New Year's Eve party?Patty I could so see this plant besides your pool I am not sure of the name but I think it is in the banana family , it has spectaclar red leaves and grows extremely fast .Ps you do have a lime tree?

o

Beautiful patio! There are several decorative banana plants out there, and yes, they grow very fast. Not sure of your cultivar, but they do very well here in my climate. And yes, I have two Bearss lime trees and one Seedless Mexican lime :-) Couldn't possibly live here and have margaritas without having a lime tree!

Patty S.

o

Nice trees!

I think we all forget to take pictures at first because we are lost in the wonderful sweetness of that which is Citrus!

o

Thanks, Blaze. I'm going to pick one of my Chironja's tomorrow morning, and give it a try for juice. That, and more Page mandarins. Yum!

Patty S.

o

Hey Patty! Was in a car accident...Sorry I have not been here..I have catching up to do...I'll be back..Just thinking of you and hope to enjoy the posts I missed out one:-)

Hoping you had a nice Holiday season!

Mike

o

Patti What is your personal taste opinion of the meyer lemon

Steve

o

I personally like the taste of Improved Meyer lemons quite a bit. I will say, don't let them get overripe, or they can develop a bit of a "piney" taste, which can happen with other citrus cultivars as well. If not overripe, they are excellent, make exceptional lemonade, and I believe have their place in cooking as well. If I need to use something extra lemony, I will use my Santa Teresa Femminello lemons, as they're skin has more oil in it than other lemons (and I'm usually cooking with both the juice as well as the zest in a dish), but otherwise, I will interchange Meyer lemons for regular Eureka/Lisbon lemons frequently. Especially if I need a lot of lemon juice.

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patti:

I am looking for alternatives to kumquats for fresh winter fruit. My goal in citrus seams to be very different than every one else. My goal is fresh fruit through out the winter when my other trees are dormant. I keep coming up with kumquats as the perfect choice to provide me through out to early summer. I have eaten about 10 Meyer lemons. Some were very dry, others were just sour. Some required more calories to peal them than the fruit would return. All of what I have read states they are hard to grow. I figured if you like them perhaps a properly picked Meyer would be good out of hand.

I bought an Orlando tangelo. low acid low sugar EXCELLENT taste that beat Miniola hands down.

Steve

o

Thanks Patty...

o

After I started a new thread, this thing lets me on Patty's discussion.

Patty: Notice that when you show us pictures of your fabulous yard, you suppress almost anyone else from doing the same. Who could follow on that?

I have a couple new fruit. this year. I had planted a tree to replace a Page that was severely damaged in the winter of 09-10. It was from Rio Grande Nursery. It was labeled Page but turned out to be Seedless Kyshu. Very disappointed. It tastes like two others I got rid of. I don't know anyone on the West Gulf Coast that has the same good result as they have with them elsewhere.

I also have first time fruit on Long Houang Kat Mandarin, but it is not ripe yet. It follows Tim Kat, and CCTC Kat in that order but is earlier than Kino Kuni Kat, the Japanese cousin. Seedless Kyshu is supposed to be from Kino Kuni but it is completely different. Kino Kuni is too late to grow annually here as it gets to be 100% alternate bearing. I let my last potted tree die for that. I am growing Long Houang only because it is very hard to obtain. I like CCTC best of all the Kats. The Kats are very cold hardy, like Satsumas, Changsha, and Keragi. They are easy to grow from seed.
Lien Chau and I picked couple of the CCTC, on Tuesday, and they need just a few more days until being fully ripe.

o

Jeepers, Mike. I just found the post above, where you told me you were in a car accident, I am SO SORRY! Damn this weather. I hope you're okay, what happened? After all the issues last winter with your health, I was hoping for a clean slate this winter. Not to be :-( I just figured that you were busy with the holidays, which, you kind of were, but not in a good way. I hope you're feeling better, I hope nothing was broken, and hoping your (and the car) are healing up quickly. That makes it very hard to get around to take care of all your gorgeous citrus (and orchids, jades, and all the other really lovely plants you've got going, you have the most incredible green thumb!)

Tantaman, believe me, there are some really breathtaking gardens out my way, many of my San Diego Hort Society members put my garden to shame. I'm sorry you had a disappointing year. Especially with Seedless Kishu. It is just so outstanding here, really head's above everything else, except maybe Ponkan, which I would say is about on par with Seedless Kishu. But, please do report back on Lon Houang Kat, we don't have that available here in Calif that I'm aware of. Keep us posted on how things are doing for you.

Patty S.

o

Oh no!

I am not letting this thread disappear just yet Patty! I love what you have had to share, the pics, and it's a wonderful read! I have missed so much since my accident and I appreciate your concern...Far and few between care on this forum, but you do:-)
After all these years, I can tell you that this is not a forum to make good friends,but you and couple others are an exception:-)

I am much better..My arm was hurt pretty bad and it still hurts..It was almost a totaled. A truck hit me on my passenger side..I will e-mail you about more soon,.Thank you for the kind words.

I can't wait until I get both my new trees and then I will share with you.

o

So sorry you've been out of the loop, Mike! And SO glad the accident wasn't worse, that we still have you around ;-) Sorry your arm was injured, that makes it so hard to just do basic things. Which arm, left or right? And, cannot wait for your new trees to arrive, be sure to snap some pics and post up a new thread, so we can follow your trees and your greenhouse!

Patty S.

o

Yes Mike you are totally 100% correct about Patty.Mike , I am kind of in shock that you feel the rest of us don't care ,so not true.It is very easy to get confused with people trying to get through their very busy lives and not caring l know been their done that.I for one do care and hope your back to 100% soon.

Patty I finally tasted one of my page mandarins delicious very spritie if that's a word , you can almost taste all of the parents.

o

Orangelime, glad you're enjoying your Page, and I think the term you're searching for might be, "sprightly"? And I agree, you can taste all the parentage in the fruit. The Valentine pummelo is also like that - you can clearly taste all 3 of the "parents" in that fruit as well.

Patty S.

o

Your right Patty sprightly .I could not for some reason think of that word and I thought about it for 10 minutes . English was never my major. Picture of the fruit rind is kind of thick.

o

That's the grapefruit heritage (Duncan via the Minneola) with the Page. As it matures, the skin may end up not being quite as thick.

Patty S.

o

Wow Mike:

Too bad about your accident and injury. I hope you have no chronic,lingering, or recurring pain from this. I know it happens so fast. That is so scary.

I am very lucky I dodged one like that about 3 months ago. It had just rained after a dry spell and a guy on a road from my left tried to stop at a stop sign and skidded across the opposing lane and into my lane before his truck stopped about 2 ft from me. I was over on the right shoulder but I had run out of room because there was a deep ditch on my right that would have made me roll if I tried to to move right some more. My Lien Chou was lucky too. She got hit like you did but it hit just to the rear enough where she was able to get healed up after about a dozen trips to the chiropractor. And the other driver never tried to stop but was in a small car not a truck. Her's was year before last.

Watch out folks, they are driving distracted.

o

Patty, Orange and Tatanman....You are all a blessing to this forum and thank you for your thoughts!

Patty, should I get a Page orange tree? I saw a video posted by a member here that seems to LOVE this one. Say's they peel very easy and are very sweet. What do you think? Is it worth my investment of should I consider one sweeter or better than the Page? Looking to buying a couple more this spring.
Can you suggest a couple you think I might be very happy with, worth the space?
I think you helped me before, but I can't find it.
You are the best and thanks in advance.
I hope you are much warmer than us here. This is one BRUTAL winter that only adds to the pain.

Tatanman...Thank you))
Sheesh...It's scary how others drive...I get a bit nervous these days watching all around me.It was a truck that hot me head on the side. My arm is still killing me and back a mess. It will get better. I am so glad you guys did well.
Thank goodness!

Orange..You are so kind..I hope you are enjoying that fruit! It looks amazing...

Mike

o

Well, I personally really love the Page mandarin hybrid, Mike. It makes really outstanding juice. Very rich-flavored, you can taste all of its genetics in the juice, with heavy, rich mandarin overtones. It is very unique, and it is a very, very prolific producer. Almost as prolific as the Improved Meyer. I think it is worth a spot if you can squeeze in another tree. The fruit is very sweet, not acidic, easy to eat out of hand, and just the best juice going. The other tree I would recommend for you, based on what you like, would be the Ponkan mandarin. Right up there with the Seedless Kishu and the Clemenules mandarins for the best tasting mandarins. Those three are almost a tie for 1st place in my personal opinion.

Sorry you're still hurting, and yes, the bitter cold weather just makes folks ache to the bones when you're trying to heal up. It has been very warm and very dry out here. We look to break a record this month - if we do not receive any rain by the end of January (and weather models are showing that we will not), this will be the first time in recorded history (back to the mid-1800's) that our area received precipitation in the month of January (which is our "rainy season"). This does not bode well at all for us. We have been declared a disaster zone by our governor, and most likely will be forced onto water rationing this summer.

Patty S.

o

Patty...Thank you as always! By your description and advice, those are my very next ones...You make these trees sound so delicious!

I really appreciate your expertise in all of this..I love this thread...

I can't believe that you have been soooo dry! I feel horrible about that. If I had a choice to have the weather I have now,,sub 0 or dry for months on end, I'd rather freeze..

What are you going to do if you don't get any rain? How will you water your trees or keep them alive? I'd be a bit nervous about that..So sorry you don't have the weather you are supopose to in winter to prepare your for your hot summers..This whole thing with so many states worries me..
Then again our winters are messed up this year too. While you bask in too much sun and warmth and no rain, we bask in the oppiste..Half the country is divided and been for months.

o

Well, it will depend on how much I can water. It is prohibitively expensive to try to drop a well here ($10,000 to $20,000), so I will have to just deal with any water rationing and hope I can keep my trees alive.

Patty S.

o

Mike it's so nice to see you back .I hope everything is going well. You know when I posted my first post the 2 people I really wanted to hear from first was yourself and Patty, and you guys did not fail me and not to forget Steve.Okay enough b romancing. Darn it has been cold here and it is has been continuous. I have to go in the greenhouse this weekend and water I am afraid all I will find is frozen orange juice. We have had 3 nights in a row of minus 20 F ridiculous and 2 more weeks of this .I am guessing the summer will be really hot , nature always has a way of balancing it self out. That goes for you to Patty if you guys didn't get your rain in January you will probably get it in February or March it's all about balance. Patty are Clemnules suppose to be seedy? Mine taste great but a lot of seeds. Could this be because it was placed beside a murcott honey?

o

Orange, yes, Clemenules can be seedy. Not sure it's strictly due to to being next to your Murcott, though. Just a quality of Clemenules.

Patty S.

o

orangelime1

I'll say a little prayer for you.-- ta---da-da------ta---da-da-----ta---da-da---etc.

I hope things turn out well for you and your greenhouse'd trees. I am impressed and amazed at the dedication and work you all put into your citrus trees. I would have never imagined so many varieties could exist. I my self like bland or insipid fruits and vegetables with watermelon being the only exception. My trees are doing very well this year particularly the cutting of my Hardy Chicago kumquat. They will give fruit in a half year and are truly my biggest success story on tropical fruits.

Am I by any chance the Steve mentioned above

Thank Steve

o

Yes Steve it was you I was thinking of. I hope your winter is going well. Your Chicago fig looks like it is going to be a winner. My fig is sound a sleep in the basement. Don't fresh figs taste fantastic. I could not believe how sweet fresh figs are, a real complex flavor they have. Actually Steve growing citrus in a green house is not to hard. The green house does all the work . I just have to water once every two weeks . I just hope the door isn't frozen , if it is I will have to get the blow torch out, I hate that. It is so gratifying to grow something that is only supposed to be grown in semi tropical and tropical places. I have a apple tree and a plum tree and I hardly ever pay attention to them and they produce very well. I guess that's just because they are very common here.I can now see the days are getting longer , the sky is still bright when I get home from work. I guess we will all be playing in our sand boxes soon enough.I was actually able to see inside the greenhouse when I got home from work , the sun today melted all the ice on the greenhouse and everything from standing outside looking in looked good.

o

Orange

I am glad to hear that something I had to say was of help to you. As for my fig cutting I will know in about a month whether it just put out foliage or both roots and leaves. They are incredibly easy to grow and are very productive. I agree on the figs complex flavors and that tropical plant has been a real winner for me.

I hope you got in easily. My guess is you heat your greenhouse. Mine will be unheated and is a lean-to against the south wall.when it is completed.. At 33 feet long and 6 feet wide I can escape frost down to 0 degrees F temp and windchill. I would have been plastered this year several times with -4 and windchill -30F.

wishing you well with your greenhouse and plants

Steve

o

Wow Steve thats great you are going to install a lean to greenhouse. You are really going to love it. You wil have Florida , California , Texas , etc right in your back yard.Dont forget to put a nice palm tree in there for that tropical feel..We are thinking of getting a lean one day.Steve actually we have had a wind chill of minus 40 for 4 days now . Were supposed to get a break this weekend 22 F. WOW. With all this cold weather I have seemed to have caught a bad cold, I think I will probably be flat on my back all weekend.Steve are you going to leave your patio doors open to heat your greenhouse? Steve you are going to love it , it will make your life so much easier.You won't need all those lights anymore. Even on cloudy days they seem to get enough light in there. You right about the drinking part, i am going to make a nice hotty totty for my cold gin lemon and honey I hope this helps my cold.

Brian

o

I cut a red tinged Jaffa orange yesterday. My little tree is in a pot. It is really good on a cold year, then it acts like a blood orange. It only had one fruit. That one was even darker red than my Sanguinelli was. I had Lien Chau take a photo of it and a Torroco side beside. The Torroco looks like any regular orange. It tasted very good but is not better than the red naval. No seeds in this one fruit.

Brian: Stay on your medicine and get well.

o

Tantaman, I have some Smith Red Valencia for the first time this year. Here's a photo of the inside, almost as dark as my Moro's are, which are almost black (they're not quite ready, yet, so no comparison available, yet):
 photo IMG_3270_zpsa6bbdb00.jpg

And, I just have to share a photo of my Bouquet de Fleurs sour orange tree. I have this, a Seville and a Bergomot, all for making marmalade. I've kept them in pots to keep the size down (don't need a gazillion sour oranges). This particular cultivar is known for its intensely fragranced flowers, so Mike, you might consider one, just for it's incredible fragrance, as well as its most beautiful shape and leaves. It is very different than any other citrus tree I have. Very unique looking, I just love it's shape and leaves:

photo IMG_3268_zpse3f465fe.jpg

photo IMG_3269_zps02c8fb9e.jpg

photo IMG_3273_zpsc4b97a88.jpg

Just a beautiful specimen, and it will have these huge, double, frilly ruffly flowers that smell just intensely sweet. The scent wafts into the house when it's warm enough to open my kitchen slider, as the trees are just outside the door.

Patty S.

o

Wow that is a really nice [BdF] plant!

I wanted to update / correct an earlier post. My Smith Reds have continued to darken... they were just a bit lighter (in mid-December] than your pic above, Patty. The flavor was acceptable for juice / cocktails then. I pulled the rest of the fruit last week, but failed to take pictures - darn it! Just a bit darker than your pic and sweeter than in December.
Two lessons for me here: 1) they are not fully ripe in December here up north... and 2) the microclimate location (and i suppose sugar content) allowed the fruit to endure 10 nights with dips to the mid 20's; several to 22, and one to 19F - without damage.

BTW: I pulled all the fruit last week because i decided to move the tree a couple of feet. [!] It was rather easy and damage free; it was only in the ground since September.

-George

o

Patty...Now you did it! I have three on my list come the spring..How well you know me)

I have never seen such a beautiful color fruit like that...I have never...Please let us know how it tastes...You know, I am about to order a Moro or this one depending on what you think./. Goodness, it looks sooooooo sunny there! Like almost too much sun..I think you may be starving for rain and if so, I pray you get some relief..

That is one beautiful tree and I will for sure be getting one of those! I have yet to take a photo of my tree in ground for you and receive my two new trees that I know you will love..

Thank you for your updates and another look at those awesome trees at the top of this thread!

o

All my trees are grown from seed or cuttings and only 2 have fruited. While I have no pictures of my Red Haven tangerine, which produced very sweet low acid complex flavored edible rhine fruit, I do have a picture of my hardy chicago kumquat tree at 11 months old. I have to say these kumquats, while not as sweet just touched the taste in a pleasant indescribable way. Their skins were very tasty.

Hardy chicago fig graduates to 55 galon 1/2 drum 8-14-13 photo IMG_4524_zpsdbfdf607.jpg
Hardy chicago kumquat at 10 months

hardy chicago showing figs photo 87e9c74d-c0ea-4fd7-8c3d-cf40ff79d9c6_zps592671c5.jpg
Older H.C. from ground. 2 years old

The red haven tangerine has to be sprayed for tangerine leaf curl and tangerine tree borer.

Steve

o

Mike, if I had to pick between Red Smith Valencia and Moro, I'd go with Moro because of its very unusual flavor, and its very deep pigmentation. It really does have a berry after taste, I like it very much.'

Steve, do you mean Red Haven peach? Mandarins don't have a leaf curl disease that I am aware or or a borer??

Patty S.

o

It is a red haven peach and they do well from seed. They have an extensive problems with a borer that bores so deep it will topple a tree. The hardy chicago will probably be my favorite then its close between my peach and kumquat if the kumquat ever fruits on it own roots. All attempts to graft it have fail with not even a remotely close. Sorry I don't have a citrus favorite yet, but this column has been interesting to me

Steve

o

Steve, you don't have a Redhaven peach if it is from seed. You have some hybrid of Redhaven. It may still give you good peaches, though. Peaches, nectarines and apricots will often carry the good traits of their parents in the hybrid.

Patty S.

o

I got my seed from a red haven orchard. It is a hybrid of a red haven and a red haven. Peach trees come almost true from seed this way. It is one of the few fruit trees that come up and produce great from seed.

My meiwa kumquat at 22 months is looking nice but petite. I left a link to see the most recent pic of meiwa.
Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5967653232333283409/5972084004664102114?banner=pwa&pid=5972084004664102114&oid=111099372377958308731

o

Maybe. Maybe not, Steve. Bees travel many miles. Are your chances better my selecting a seed from a block of same species trees? Yes. Is it perfect science? No. You still have a chance of having a hybrid. As I mentioned in my previous post, peaches, apricots and nectarine seedlings as hybrids will often be very good. And, sometimes better than either parent. Unlike other fruit trees (pomes for example, and monoembryonic citrus), whose hybrids are often less spectacular than their parents. And all three will produce strong seedlings, that can grow very quickly. Now, the downside to any seedling will be its roots. If you have unusual soil issues, this can be a detractor, as you do not gain the benefit of a stronger, better rootstock, more suited to your specific soil issues (if you have them). But, they are still fun to grow from seed. If you do not have specific soil issues (heavy clay, poorly draining, sandy, nematodes, pathogens, etc.), then seedling stone fruits are fun to experiment with, as they will produce very quickly, as opposed to citrus seedlings.

Patty S.

o

Wow!! This is an amazing thread...I'm SO glad I found it!! Beautiful and very healthy plants everyone...

Patty, you have an amazing Citrus Orchard well on your way...best of luck! I cannot get over the amount of fruits you have on such small/young trees!! What an amazing property you have.

Hey Mike, nice to see you see here :o)

Thanks for the all great pictures!!

o

My goodness Patty..I had to scroll 5 pages to find this thread again..Where does time go? Sheesh..

Thank you Pug..I love seeing you here!
Thank you for your nice comments about our plants..Yours don't look to shabby myself I must say!

Patty..I have a question for you while at the same time I hope you are feeling good these days, well a couple..
Have you gotten any relief from the drough yet?
It's still frigid here so I assume the weather pattern hasn't changed one bit yet.._0(

Now that my Kaffir Lime is starting to flower of which I do owe a pic soon, should I hand pollinate or will it set fruit itself?

Yes, and thank you..I will be getting a Moro this spring..I need to thing the herd of which I have duplicates and multiples of the same trees and get a few different ones I do not have to take the place...

Mike:-)

o

Well, hiya, Mike! Sorry, been a little MIA lately due to a job change. Have been just a little crazy busy, We actually have a huge storm coming our way, FINALLY, this week! We are so excited, we're all doing the rain dance. We're supposed to get between 1 and 2 inches with this storm, that is a huge amount for us. Coming in Thursday night. As far as I am aware, the Kaffir lime will set fruit without the aid of pollination. But, since the Kaffir is grown for its very aromatic and flavorful leaves, I'm not sure folks are so worried about the fruit. But, looking forward to photos for sure, and you'll love the Moro, it is such a nice cultivar.

Patty S.

o

My seed grown trees are a clementine Rio red grapefruit and 2 flame red grapefruits and a apple tree. All tree have slowed way way down in growth in the winter. Even with the light buckets they have slowed way down. Hope spring they will leap into growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here