Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

What's blooming for you this month?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

Just a couple of my small trees in pots and a cutting I started over the spring.

This is my cutting....Some type of Orange tree.

{{gwi:69351}}

My Ponderosa cutting I started a couple of years ago

{{gwi:650412}}

And true Christmas Cactus I wanted to share a bit late but still excited about.

{{gwi:650414}}

What's blooming for you and I hope everyone is well. It's been slow around here lately.

Mike:-)

Comments (25)

• krismast
    11 years ago

Wow Mike! That must smell incredible! I wish we could smell through the Internet :) My meyer lemon and kaffir lime are just putting out new growth! This is the kaffir limes first time pushing growth indoors, but it's the Meyers third or so. Meyer lemons must be some sort of mutant plant! Nothing seems to stop them! Haha. Unfortunately no blooms yet on my meyer since it came inside, but I'm waiting, albeit slightly impatiently ;)

Kristopher

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Wow, lovely, lovely blooms, your citrus room must just smell heavenly! Love the Christmas Cactus, so pretty. I have some blooming starting here and there with my citrus, the Ortanique in the pot is putting out a few blossoms. Most of my citrus will start blooming in a month or two, since all mine are outside.

Patty S.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Hey mike.
    I have meyers, key lime and 1 plumeria blooming. Its raining today if it slows down I'll get out to the greenhouse and take some photos.

mike i would like to add that i am most amazed at how many blooms your trees and cuttings make. Its quite amazing!!

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 10:39

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

My key lime and variegated lemon are blooming! I ate a couple of my first meiwa kumquats yesterday ( sweeter than I thought they'd be) and my 3 Meyer Lemons are slowly turning yellow. Never would have happened without the great help found here!

Just have to keep working on those perpetual mites...grrrr

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Meyer & Pink Lemonade lemons are blooming right now. June-bearing & day-neutral strawberries, O'Neal blueberries and Calla Lilies are all starting to trickling in a few flowers.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Mike! Nice, thick clusters of flowers! Always impressive!

My variegated Pink Lemon is blooming now, but that's the only one. The Pomelo and Lemon
    plants are putting on new growth, and the Moro is just sitting there :-)

Josh

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Unfortunately none

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kristopher, oh your trees will be putting out that delicious fragrance in no time! They just come out of no where, like my now Grapefruit! I shall have to take a pic of that for next month:-)

Foolish, that was short and brief.lol No worries, they will come:-)

Josh! Yes, I did notice lot's of clusters of flowers...You know what I am beginning to think? Most citrus will do the same if given the opportunity to be left alone by pest and fed properly. I really think many have a pest or two not seen, cut them off at the pass before they even get a chance to open while just a few make it to flowering size.
    Have you or anyone else ever noticed tiny buds dropped off while other make it?
    What's up with that Moro? Has it bloomed since you had it? I would love to see a pic of your variegated one if it's not too much trouble in the January thread I will start:-)

Mrclint. Your Lillies must look nice. I am a bit partial to them! It is great to see your other trees starting to push flowers. Pics?

Manderine1! I am so glad you are able to do well with these plants! It is a great place to come to learn from each other. You know, those mites are such a pain to watch for, for sure, especially as it gets colder and drier outside.
    They usually pop up about now right until you take them outside. The key is just to keep up with them and be vigilant. You will never get rid of 100 % of them but they don't have to take control either.

Patty, how have you and your family been through the Holiday's? Were you able to share some of your wonderful bounty of fruit with the family? Yum.
    I can't wait to see yours flower, since you know how I feel about the blooms more so than the fruit. Please share them as they do, I would love that:-)
    I hope you have had warm weather since the only spot that seems to be over 70 is Florida, southern that is.

Either I or someone will start a thread for January 2013! 2013, can you believe that?

Thanks for the kind comment comments. It seems that no one locally shares my enthusiasm the way my friends here at the forums do:-)

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 8:20

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

Well, here are some pics of my calamondin (the largest pot), another that I thought was meyer lemon when it bloomed last summer -- it had the purple tinge to the blossoms, but you can see it doesn't now so I am once again not sure what it is! The next photo is of one of its fruit which is just starting to get some color. The third is my other mystery citrus, the one that had difficulty 2 years ago when I found a walnut buried in the pot. It has never bloomed, and hasn't been a vigorous grower since, but does put on new growth. Maybe it is just still too young. One of these trees is supposed to be Rangpur Lime. Not really visible in the shots the two babies, supposedly a tangerine and a key lime.

11 years ago

What is the secret for posting multiple pics in one posting, Mike?

11 years ago

I really need to do better at holding the camera steady! This is the one I thought was the lemon.

11 years ago

Lots of fruit set on the calamondin. I made lovely marmalade last spring. I suppose I should thin this a bit?

11 years ago

This is the one that has never yet bloomed. Maybe next summer!

• gro-nut
    11 years ago

Happy New Year everyone!! These are the only two in bloom right now. My 1 year Meyer cutting and my 3 year old Moro Blood Orange that just had a huge flush.

• gro-nut
    11 years ago

This is the Moro!!

• Irrelephant
    11 years ago

First of all, I have my oldest meyer.
    {{gwi:650421}}
    blooms and leaves
    {{gwi:650425}}
    then my smaller meyer
    {{gwi:650428}}

my orange recently bloomed
    {{gwi:650433}}
    My very new variegated eureka is blooming, too.{{gwi:650436}}

Question about the eureka. Two leaves formed during its shipping and they haven't greened up
    {{gwi:650439}}
    One of them at least has a green vein, but the other doesn't. They look nice, and I'd rather keep them if they aren't causing too much of a strain on the tree. Will they ever green up?

• User
    11 years ago

I probably don't think I have much in Citrus in bloom now--too chilly right now out int the garage. Only things blooming are Sweet Olive and camellias in the front yard.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    11 years ago

My Citrus start blooming in February through April, depending on the variety.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

The Key lime is blooming, too heavily.

11 years ago

Gro-nut,
    I'm very jealous of your blooming Moro! Holding out hope that mine'll bloom soon.

Irr,
    those leaves will not green up, nor do I think they'll be an undue burden.
    Do the buds on your variegated Eureka ever turn pink?

Also, you may wish to inspect that Meyer to find out what those webs are from.
    If I see any fine webbing on one of my plants, I Neem them all :-)

Josh

• Irrelephant
    11 years ago

Some of them are slightly pink. I got it in november, so I'm guessing that it hasn't gotten enough light. It has new foliage, and it's only slightly purple.
    Oh, and there was a spider living on that tree. When I saw it, I looked in the soil for pests. Then after I put it all back together, I noticed three very small spiders on a leaf.

This post was edited by Irrelephant on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 14:55

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful everyone! Althouuuuggghh, I would LOVE to see more pictures!

Josh, good catch!

Irr, why not get a magnifying glass and take a closer look at that webbing?
    If they are mites, you woun't see them with the nakes eye, unless your vision is better than mine until it's too late.
    I actually like that variegated look. I have a tree that did that and I love it, It brightens the top of my tree.

Nice pics, very nice.

11 years ago

Hey, Mike!

Well, I can't get a very good pic of my variegated Pink Eureka, due to the lighting,
    the busy background, and the skeletal structure of the plant itself....if only I had
    a big black sheet for a backdrop.....

Lots of browning old blooms, and lots of smaller blooms that have yet to swell up and open.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Josh

That tree has made a great recovery from all that has happened to it! It's loking very nioce and I can see the blooms.
    It's beautiful, and even without the blooms or fruit, it is still a remarkable looking colorful tree. I love it!

I can also see, is that the Moro tree? It's shape is to die for. You did have a vision for that one and boy does it show. Wow, and I was scared to cut mine back like you do.

By the way, if I was a plant sitting there in that spot, you bet I'd be happy. Look how bright it is. Is that where you place or orchid too?

It's getting frigid here! Time to make sure the spider mites aren't looking for a place to dwell since they hate 0 degrees with winds in excess of 40 miles per hour.
    Hmm, I wonder if there are any mites trying to hunker down on my juicy plants?lol
    There is always that...What if, when you have over 300 plants.lol

Mike

11 years ago

Howdy, Mike, thanks for the compliments!

Yes, the poor tree is making a recovery. Next Summer should have her nice and full again.
    That's the Moro alright, sitting pretty in some good light. I've been re-arranging plants
    this afternoon, trying to make the most of this sunny space. My Orchid sits on a windowsill
    to the south, where there is almost as much light. But you know me, I shuffle plants around
    to exploit every last bit of sun. I know you do the same when you're at home.

I think I shared this pic already, but I'll post it here as well. The doors face east,
    the next window faces south, and then that third window on the far right faces east again.
    So funny....my rugs are used for plants ;-)

Josh