Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

strange leaves

Suzy11
10 years ago

I found a possible leaf problem on christmas day. Any idea what it means? There have been no more strange leaves since. I don't know if it's related to the yellow leaf that I had in the beginning or not. leaves are still dropping at times and I am sprinting the lower leaves more than I was before. The lower leaves do look better than they did and There is less dropping. If you look under the lower branches they are not as full as in summer. Is this normal for this time of year? I will send a photo in a minute, have to change computers.

Comments (14)

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A photo

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A leaf

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Again, as previously, we really can't help you Suzy unless you post an entire photo of the tree. Make sure you don't have some sort of infestation going on with either spider mites or scale. A couple of dropped leaves may be perfectly normal, but without see the entire tree, we really can't tell you what might be going on.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok patty I will take pictures tomorrow. The tree looks pretty good except the lower leaves are not too filled in and if you look under them it looks too bare. I sprits twice a day and try to get every leaf can bugs still be a problem even with the water? I have found a few holes but hopefully they are from the summer. I even found a few torn leaves but they may be from bumping it. I don't mean to bother you so Much I guess that I worry too much but it is the first winter And it would be nice to make it though okay. I guess that it is a goal. Still learning.

10 years ago

Suzy, not sure why you're spritzing your tree? Not necessary. If you're concerned about them getting dusty, you can always put it in the shower, and give it a washing off, but citrus don't need their leaves spritzed with water on a regular basis. Just appropriate watering and fertilizing, and as much light as you can provide.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Patty a nersaryr manager here suggested that I us a cool mist humidifier for circulaizatin. I read actually on the form that a girl Spritz her tree. I thought that I would try it, it is working great. You can actually tell when I am late, the leaves start to dry out. I'm sending you some pictures. I think and I hope that the tree is okay but I really would like to know what the leaf meant.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whole tree

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have one question about my meyer two leaves are turning light green, is it too much water?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Stop spritzing your tree. It serves no use, unless you're mechanically removing dust or pests (as Patty mentioned). When you wet the surface of the leaf, you actually halt the tree's activity, which can last quite some time. When you wet the leaves, you also increase the chance for molds, pests, et cetera, to find a foothold. It is an outdated practice, and is really more about a gardener wanting to feel like they are "doing" something than actually helping the plant.

Your large tree looks fine overall....but I can't really tell from the sideways pics.

Can't tell what's up with the Meyer because the image is sideways and too blurry. Doesn't look very good, though, from what I can see.

Josh

10 years ago

Suzy, I suspect you're taking photos with an iPhone. When you don't take them in the right orientation (with your volume buttons facing down), you'll get these sideways photos. So, take photos with the buttons facing downward, and your photos will be correctly oriented. And, basically, what Josh said. Your little Meyer is much too wet I suspect, based on what I can see (a little too blurry and sideways). I would re-pot with better draining mix.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Patty. no I took the pictures with an iPad I'll try to do better though. The Meyer does seem a little too wet. Both trees have gone over a week without water. I think it depends on the heat in the house. We have had some slightly warmer days now we are getting cold again. I am watering the calamodinn tomorrow and will have to see about the Meyer. I have a moisture meter which helps a lot. I was going to wait until spring to repot but do you think I should do it right now, in larger pot? O by the way The cal. is in a soil which drains better than the other one right now, they both have drainage. I will change the meyers soil. Thank you both. :)

10 years ago

Okay, iPad/iPhone. Same thing :-) Apple's photo's have orientation coded into them. With your iPad or iPhone, you need to make sure you hold your iPad in the landscape position (sideways, and not tall-ways). This is why your photos are sideways :-) So, just hold your iPad in the landscape position, or, adjust your orientation in a photo editing program before you upload it.

And, if your potting medium is too fine or dense, then you really should re-pot. If not, then back off on your water, and then re-pot in the Spring.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much patty. I didn't know that about taking pictures.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm