Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duck a l'orange and Seville Oranges

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 15:42

Three Christmases ago, My holiday meal was duck a l'orange. I planted the seeds from the Seville Oranges used for the recipe. They have been growing in communal pots and have postponed separating them until today. Now, I have about 30 of them--may be my New Year's Gifts for my friends. So, this Christmas more duck and another batch of seeds to plant. They grow fairly fast and seem more vigorous than Sweet Orange in my opinion. Also more cold tolerant. These are going back into a 'cold' greenhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seville Orange seedlings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duck a l'orange and Seville Oranges

Very nice! Do you know with Photobucket.com, if you click on the HTML link, it will copy that link to your Windows clipboard, and you can then copy that link into the body of your message, and your photo will appear right in your message :-) Very nice gifts, and lovely seedlings.

Patty S.

o

I like the tree to, as I am bias towards seed grown citrus . If you use Google plus you can display larger pictures with the that kind of link you used.

My 4 Sweetlee tangerine trees are seed grown. Click link below to see the difference in Google. Click any pic to enlarge and then use the thumb weal to go up to 8 megapixals

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457

o

caus I like pics

photo image-6.jpg

o

Those look nice but I always thought that trees planted from Citrus seeds might not end up like their parent plant? Or is that only with particular varieties?

Looks good so I hope they are winners!

o

Seville sour orange has a very high tendency to come true from seed. That is one reason why they are a favorite variety to use for rootstock where that can be done. You should use an old citrus rootstock culling technique to help additionally. Take out the largest ones and the smallest ones and keep the mid-sized. This was first described by Swingle many years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here